Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - 3fins
Dear all

I am now fustratingly looking at replacing the hydraulic tappets for the second time on my V40 1.8i (mitshibishi GDI engine) with just 60k miles on the clock.

If you have suffered the same fault or have information on the cause peculiar to the GDI engine your help and views would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - rustbucket

Hi 3fins I used to have a v40 same engine as yourself covered approx 11500 in three years, I was informed that unless you keep engine oil topped up to max on the dip stick the top end of engine ie hydraulic tappits would be starved of oil. I always topped up as it did use some oil between services but not enough to drop of the bottom of the lower dip stick mark.

rustbucket (the original)
Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - rustbucket
Hi 3fins I used to have a v40 same engine as yourself covered approx 11500 in three years,
sorry should have read 115000 miles

rustbucket (the original)
Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - Aprilia
Does sound like a lubrication problem so I would agree could be low oil level or perhaps the wrong oil grade or too long a period between changes. Use a light synthetic and change frequently would be my advice.
Thanks Aprilia, please see my last post.
Thanks rustbucket, however the car is serviced at the correct intervals with the manufacturers recommended synthetic oil and has never really suffered from excessive oil loss. Also on the advice of an independent garage the oil is changed mid-service due to their belief that the GDI engine is prone to tappet problems, something to do with the small diameter of the oil feed pipe, which is susceptible to blockage. I am trying to establish if this is the cause and if so is there any modification possible to avoid future tappet snags.
Naturally my intimation is that as the fault has reoccurred Volvo should put it right.
Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - Weeneilly
My V40 1.8i was registered in 1998, I bought it from the first owner in 2002 with 43k on the clock. The tappets were ticking away then, intermittently. I managed to reduce the occurance by keeping a very low load on the engine, keeping revs above 2000 at all times.

It's now done 62.5k and my mechanic has said not to worry about the noise the tappets make.

I am also eager to know the cause and whether it is necessary to change them. Sorry that I have no other info.
Hi Weeneilly

I would imagine dry-running tappets could present problems if not rectified. I would have concerns that the lack of lubrication would prevent the tappets from self-adjusting (the whole point of hydraulic tappets) hence the noise, but also worries about over temperature damage to valves etc. due to lack of cooling oil.
Volvo replaced my tappets for the second time at half cost, still £600 to me. Whilst I may well have found cheaper, I wanted to maintain the Volvo dealer link in case subsequently I am able to prove liability through poor design / failure to modify, therefore potentially recovering costs.
Alas I am but a layperson but my advice would be to seek information from an independent mechanic, in my experience Volvo are loathed to admit that hydraulic tappet problems exist with this particular model.
Could it be that the tappets are not the problem? See this website for info:

www.volvoclub.org.uk/ticking.htm
Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - BournemouthAlex
I have owned an S reg 1.8 GDI mitsubishi carisma since November 2003 and have suffered with an intermittant power/acceleration problem.

The main dealer has replaced some expensive parts with no improvement and also performed a clean of the cylinder head and valve ports which were very carbonised. I have also noticed an intermittant rattle form the engine which I suspect is the tappets. When the engine is rattling at it's worst, the power/acceleration problem is also at it's worst. Is this coincidence or can a tappet problem cause power and acceleration/cruising problems or excess carbonisation of the upper cylinders? And,if so, how much does it cost to correct? Anyone any ideas?
Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - THe Growler
I don't know if this is of any use whatsoever, but I owned a variety of American cars, and failure for the hydraulic lifters to pump up and stay quiet was nearly always solved by regular oil changes.
Thanks Growler, I would concur. Exactly what an independent (ex-Volvo)garage said, although they recommended every 2,5k for this particular engine! Their rationale being to keep the oil extremely clean.
Hi BournemouthAlex

From my previous posts on this thread you will see that I have suffered tappet problems that seem to be inherent in the design of this particular engine. In the course of my research on this topic I have discovered that premature coking/carboning of this engine is in fact the most prevailant problem. In summary coking often occurs about the 60k mark with associated rough-running symptons, rectification by a main dealer would cost approx. £2000. When I asked my main dealer (Volvo) about this, whilst not admiting to any knowledge of tappet problems he was prepared to admit that the GDI engine does coke-up very early, even pointeing out a customer car in the car park that had gone at less than 40k! Hope this helps.
Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - Number_Cruncher
Hello all,

With regard to the formation of potentially clogging deposits - this process is very temperature dependent. It would be useful to find out how the 40k example which had coked up had been driven.

If, for example, it is found that lots of slow cool running was responsible, you could help maintain your engine by going for frequent blasts to get the engine nice and hot :-)

number_cruncher
I've just experienced problems with my brakes which may be related to the tappet problem, which I know sounds unlikely but...

Over three months my brakes have become increasingly unreliable. After breaking three to four times in rapid succession I'd lose servo-assistance. When I took it in for repair I expected a large bill, but in the end it was only the feeder pipe to the servo which had coked up (40 quid to fix it). The tappets suffer from the same carbon problem (apparently due to the Mitsubushi GDi engine being designed for higher sulphur Japanese market fuels and having an over active injector). The engine needs to be run as lean as possible and I am told that Volvo recommend the use of Forte fuel additive and head cleaner to help solve the carbon problem.

Volvo V40 1.8i-hydraulic tappet problems - bicnarok
Hello.

Heres what happened to me. I test drived a Volvo V40i and bought the car which had done 111 k KM (about 70 000 miles). Whilst test driving there was no Tappet pinking noise.

The volvo dealer then did a sevice on the car, new brake shoes, oil change etc..

After this the Tappets started pinking, I took the car back to the garage a week later(1 year garanty after all). They told me it was a common problem with the Misubishi GDI engine, especially after an oil change and not a lot could be done about it, nevertheless they agreed to put new Hydaulic tappets in, but said it possibly wouldn´t change anything.

The noise has gotten quieter but still remains. If anyone has found anything out info would be appreciated