Oil sump drain plug - robert
Its been many years since I have changed oil on a car & have decided to take HJ's advice and go for a 5k change between services on my 1.6 Megane.

Although I can see the drain plug and could undo it without having to use ramps (sloping drive and basically scared of ramps) I'm having trouble worning out what size key to use. Halfords sold me a universal key - none of which fitted (I got my money back).

Any comments? In anticipation .....

Robert
Re: Oil sump drain plug - David W
Robert,

I'm trying to remember the Megane plug. Doesn't it take a small hex key or a 21mm ring spanner on the outside??

David
Re: Oil sump drain plug - Honest John
You'd better have bought a new washer for the drain plug or you'll lose the new oil on your driveway.

HJ
Re: Oil sump drain plug - Bruce
Had the same trouble with a Citroen AX, the Citroen garage sold me a Renualt spanner for £7 which did the trick. They also suggested filing a bolt to the correct shape and size!
Re: Oil sump drain plug - robert
Thanks Brue,

I guess the next stop is a Renault dealer .......
Yep, I have the washer - thanks .......
Re: Oil sump drain plug - Andrew Tarr
You don't have to use a new (copper?) washer every time. I have successfully reused washers by wrapping them with plumber's PTFE tape. Cheaper at about 40p a reel. Always releases easily next time too.
Re: Oil sump drain plug - Richard Hall
I bought the correct Citroen sump plug tool from Halfords - a hexagonal bar (17mm I think) with a half inch socket drive. Find a bolt whose head fits into the recess in the sump plug, then take it along to your local car accessory shop and look for a tool of the same dimensions.
Oil sump drain plug - David Lacey
I would agree - go to Halfords etc and buy the tool. Why buy the [overpriced] tool from your Renault dealer?

David
Re: Oil sump drain plug - ian (cape town)
Two bits of related advice.
1) Don't drop the plug. This will affect the magnetivity of the plug which ...
2) collects little bits of metal which find their way into the oil. Make sure you give the plug a good wipe before refitting
Thanks all,

Eventually managed to get the correct (8mm square) adaptor from my small local auto shop for £4.95 AND I managed to do the whole process without jacking the car or using ramps! Halfords were useless- sold me a universal tool (Draper) - none of which fitted!

Considering the oil was only in for 4000 miles/6 months - gee was it bad! I let the sump drain for well over an hour and then refilled with nice fresh fully synthetic.

If for no other reason than getting rid of the grime I'm now 100% behind HJ's regular oil change plan.

Regards ............ Robert