gearbox additives...good or bad?? - steveo30
i know engine oil additives are regarded as rubbish...id like to know if any of the gear oil additives are any good?

ive re filled with redline syn oil , but if i can improove the shift or make the gearbox last longer then id like to try some

anyone reccomend anything?? the box seems okay,maybe a slight whine if im picky
gearbox additives...good or bad?? - Civic8
You didnt say what car it is.But would say stay with oil that manufacturer states.if you have a slight whine maybe diff.cant really say anymore without full details of motor.But would suggest gearbox additives are not all the same.and are at best not worth having.?.others may know better?
--
Was mech1
gearbox additives...good or bad?? - Aprilia
I take it you are using RedLine MTL? This is a good friction-modified synthetic. You will not do any better than using it 'straight'. Don't put 'friction reducers' (like Moly Slip) in the 'box, it will spoil the change quality.
its in a mk2 golf...someone else suggested the release bearing,does that sound likely?? the whine is only slight and noticed when driving in town(radio off) at low speed and low revs(around 2k) im pretty sure it shuts up when i dip the clutch....its not noticably one gear more than the others although i suppose its not that noticable in 4/5th, but then the higher road speed masks it

its not bad enough to warrant having the box out....but if i can improove things ,id like to
gearbox additives...good or bad?? - RichardW
If the release bearing is knackered it will whine when you dip the clutch, as this is when it is loaded up. Whining under normal driving that goes off when you dip the clutch will be one of the bearings inside the box. Only solution will be to strip the box and refurb it - not worth it till it gets really bad!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
gearbox additives...good or bad?? - Cliff Pope
I've had gearboxes go for tens of thousands of miles making a slight whine. Don't use additives, just a good oil. You could try overfilling it a bit, by tipping the car.
My Triumph has done about 40,000 miles with a slight whine. It was worse when I got it, but seems to be quietening down with time.
Check that all the foam insulation/padding is in place and the gearlever gaiter undamaged. It makes a big difference.
gearbox additives...good or bad?? - Cyd
I used Torco MTF in my Rover PG1 box. It was a massive improvement over the standard Rover stuff. If it's the RedLine equivalent you have (Red Line MTL?) then I would say you have one of the best manual transmission fluids available and should not add anything to it. If you look at the Red Line or Torco websites you will see a simple explanation of how these oils should work in the box. If you have a mechanical problem, then there really isn't any substitute for fixing it, anything else is really just a short term measure.
gearbox additives...good or bad?? - mak
IMO the Redline oil is one of the best and would not add anything to it. The shift can be greatly improved by lubricating/renewing the gearchange connecting rod links and plastic balljoint. You can also get "short shift" adapters from GSF or ECP.
the linkage is fine...just a slight whine