rover sd1 - gasoil
how much is a rust free 2600 vandem plas auto worth? one years mot,silver,drives well and everything seems to work I know the 2600 is not as sought after as the 3500 but what are the main reasons for this is the 2600 not very reliable?
rover sdi - dieselhead
Depends on the previous owner is. If it\'s the one owner from new that\'s kept it immaculate he might want £2000 for it.
Or if it\'s someone who bought it for a cheap car to ride around in until the tax ran out and he\'s lost the service history you would probably buy it for much much less.

A certain classic car publication values cars between £1350 for an \"excellent\" example to £500 for something with an mot needing tidying up. £1750 is their top money for the 3500\'s. Been some tidy looking Sd1\'s on e-bay that don\'t make anything like that much.

Very early series 1 cars seem to be the most sought after.
Seen a 1978 2600 model with 11,000 miles, manual g/b advertised for £3,650 (Car dealer price).

{Reply moved from Technical Matters to here and Gasoil\'s duplicate thread deleted. DD}

rover sd1 - Ivor E Tower
Surely not much more than a couple of hundred quid these days. The 2300 was supposed to be worse than the 2600, didn't think that the 2600 was particularly bad, just that "experts" always thought that the V8 was the only engine worth having.
rover sd1 - Algernon
It's a Vitesse you want, as described or hopefully better. Even then, don't pay more than 2.5 to 3k, and preferably stash away the same just in case.

Come to think of it, I have not seen one for a while so it could have rarity value once enough have disintegrated!

rover sd1 - Imagos
have a look here www.austin-rover.co.uk

has a buyers guide and the complete history of the SD1.
rover sd1 - Sooty Tailpipes
There is always a few on ebay, a lovely 3500 RHD that has been in Spain for years was on recently, it looked mint.
rover sd1 - Sooty Tailpipes
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...g

Golly look at that, who would spend £72,000 ruining an old SD1???
rover sd1 - Imagos
and forgot to fit a windscreen!
rover sd1 - Morris Ox
Unless it's pristine you should be paying peanuts for what is an old car, pure and simple. I've half an idea that at least one of the sixes that went into the SD1 suffered water problems; maybe someone else can shed light on that.
rover sd1 - Happy Blue!
I knew I remembered something about these cars. I think it was the 2300 that reguarly split the head gasket or something similar. Also, if the oil warning light came on (which it frequently did due to a faulty switch) you couldn't start the engine.

Strikes me that the most to pay for this a few hundred at most. It has to be at least 15 years old.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
rover sd1 - Civic8
2.6 as I recall suffered head gasket probs as well as oil pump.being too weak ie if revs went too high oil pump wasnt able to cope starving engine of oil leading to rebuild of engine.thats my recollection of this car.I may be wrong but think the 2.6 isnt worth getting.3.5 was a great motor as long as serviced correctly.I still reckon though.it beats the later models.rover 800 series.though I had 2 and could not fault them.apart from interior build?
--
Was mech1
rover sd1 - Aprilia
2.3 and 2.6 both fundamentally the same engine. Belt driven OHC designed by Australian branch of Rover. Not a reliable engine, can't be many unmolested ones about.
rover sd1 - nick
The main problem with the 2.6 engine was the poor oil feed to the ohc. This was through very small bore pipework and became easily blocked when people neglected to change the oil often enough. I think there are ways round this these days but I'd still rather have the V8. But if it's rust free (very rare for an SD1) I wouldn't mind it. Always had a soft spot for them.
rover sd1 - A2B
I had two of these, a 2000 C reg and a 3.5 A reg.
The 2 litre was much more practical, loads of space very comfy and pretty reliable. Parts cheap and so forth.
The V8 goes well but is so thirsty that it makes it unpractical for every day use.
Avoid the 2300 and 2600. A manual 2000 isn't the fastest but it's ok, biggest problems are rust and eletrical.

I hardly ever see them now.