Corsa Diesel - Glow Plug Problem - Pete Lee
Hi.

My wife has a 1.5 Diesel Corsa (Feb 1995). It has done 67,000 miles since we bought it from new. It does 400 miles a week on the motorway and is serviced regularly, oil changes at 6,000 miles and we use Shell Diesel fuel.

The problem that we have is with starting. It "eats" glow plugs. We have had 3 new sets within a few months of each other. When I take the car to the garage it may be that 2 plugs are not working and are covered in black. This is after a we have had to get the AA out because the car won't start.

Even when we had the latest plugs fitted it didn't exactly "leap" into life upon cold start. When it has been for a run then the car starts ok.

I have noticed that the Glow Plug Indicator is only on for about 2.5 seconds. I have a Citroen ZX Diesel and the indicator is on for twice as long.

Could it be that the time is too short and the plugs are not reaching the optimum temperature and, if so, how do you get a more realistic warming up time?

Regards

Pete Lee
Corsa Diesel - Glow Plug Problem - P 2501
It could be that the glow plug timer relay has gone.This could lead to the plugs being permanently on when driving. This can dramatically reduce glowplug life.
If the relay is ok, Try waiting for a few more seconds (5 or so) when the light goes out before starting. This can sometimes help with older engines.
Corsa Diesel - Glow Plug Problem - woods
hello
I've got the 1.7 version (isuzu) on an Astra and I had a simular problem with mine. They use a 'special' NGK glow plugs which costs about £30 each!!! although I remember reading a post on here a while ago that found a cheaper make that works. I replaced the original plugs and found out it was the tappets that were out, had 3 replaced and has been fine every since. It's a common fault with these engines, mines now done 153k on the original glow plugs and still starts first time

Good luck
Woods