I have a question Volume 48 - Dynamic Dave

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 49 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23951

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC\'s. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 48. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please \"Reply to\" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it\'s own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

"Private dranage" and "oil fired" - L'escargot
This ought to have gone in Volume 47 but I was too late.

When my oil-fired boiler fired up this morning, it reminded of two more snags to oil heating.

1. The boiler is quite noisy because of the need for it to incorporate a powerful blower. Depends where the boiler is situated of course ~ the further from the bedrooms and lounge the better.

2. The outlet gases are quite hot. My boiler is a balanced flue type with the outlet in a wall, and the outlet gases are hot enough to burn a privet hedge that is 3 feet away. I have to make sure that the height of the hedge is kept lower than the height of the boiler flue outlet. I've no doubt that boilers exhausting via a vertical chimney are better in this respect.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
"Private dranage" and "oil fired" - L'escargot
When my oil-fired boiler fired up this morning, it reminded of
two more snags to oil heating.

.........it reminded me of........
Must get me a proof reader!
--
Cash backs on Credit Cards - Hugo {P}
My credit card company has written to me to say that the cashback I get is going from 1% to 0.5%.

As they are still stuffing the retailers for 2.5% or so I think this is a bit off.

I am thinking of changing cards. Does anyone know of a credit card that gives 1%?

Thanks

Hugo
Cash backs on Credit Cards - Cardew
Hugo,
Try
www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?new...3,

C

Cash backs on Credit Cards - hootie
You really have to look into all the pros and cons - one of the important factors is the level of spend at which the percentage cash back kicks in.

We have a Halifax Platinum Card and an Alliance and Leicester card - but the level of spend is different on each one (Halifax upped the kick in level and reduced the percentage I think, so we don't use that one atm) Some of the cards have a longer interest free period too (i.e. the time between statement dates and repayment dates)

American Express Blue card offers 2% for the first three months spend and then reduces to 1%

and I *think* that high earners (over £80k?) can apply for an Amex Plattinum card which gives 2% back - it used to have a £275 annual fee, but has recently become 'fee free'

If you pay interest, those terms and conditions make the equation even harder to fathom.

As with any financial product the goal posts keep moving, so you need to read all the fine print I'm afraid. Martin Lewis the 'financial guru' is usually very on the ball though. (I think from memory, he's the Money Saving Expert)
Cash backs on Credit Cards - Mapmaker
Top tip, thanks. Am just applying for my Bank of Ireland credit card (0.5% on first 3,000; 1% thereafter). Sorry, Accucard (0.8% on everything)!

Amex absoutely stuff the retailer, and charge them more commission than do other credit cards. That's why many retailers won't accept them.
Cash backs on Credit Cards - BB
Morgan Stanley Platinum has a 1% cashback rate and 0% interest on balance transfers and purchases for 6 months.
Cash backs on Credit Cards - hootie
That's true about Amex , but maybe things are changing because I use mine at all the large supermarkets I shop at,
and M & S. now take it too which is a big turn around for them.
Cash backs on Credit Cards - Welliesorter
I have a Halifax platinum card which is about to reduce the cashback from 0.5 to 0.25 per cent. I can't remember whether it was 0.8 or 1 per cent until last year. As it's the only card I have that isn't paid off automatically by direct debit, one late payment fee would be more than enough to offset the cash back. I'm tempted to stop using it altogether now.

On the subject of credit cards (and slightly related because one of the cards in question offers cash back), there was an item on today's Moneybox programme about using cards for cash advances. The basic advice was don't do it, but one bank's policy on charging interest seems especially shocking. See news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/3881501.stm for details.
Fountain pen - new sac - Mapmaker
Does anybody know of somebody who will put a new sac into a Parker 51 fountain pen for a sensible sum! A new sac is a pound or so; it is a 15 minute job. Accordingly, paying £50 upwards which is what the nearest pen shop charges is outrageous.

Heffers in Cambridge used to have a splendid old boy who would do this sort of repair in front of you.

Mail order, or in London.

I feel certain that somebody will know somewhere sensible...

Many thanks
Fountain pen - new sac - L'escargot
Ask Jeeves! There are dozens of websites on the subject of fountain pens. Didn't delve deep enough to find the answer to your specific question, but found lots of information on the Parker 51. Did you know, for example, that they first went on sale in 1941 and that over the years there have been 24 designs of the pen clip?
--
Fountain pen - new sac - frostbite
Watch out for the thousands of phony ones made by P.arker in the 70s!

Sorry, can't help with your question.
Yup, knew all that, thanks (couldn't have told you the exact number of clips though!). Jeeves will happily point me towards lots of people who will charge £50; I was hoping somebody knows somebody specific.

Come on; you lovers of technology, and drivers of proper cars don't all write with biros, do you?
Fountain pen - new sac - patently
Nothing beats a proper fountain pen.

Can you recommend one that doesn't leave me with blue fingers, though?*

*when filled with blue ink. I've tried ones with black ink - black fingers are worse.
Fountain pen - new sac - Dwight Van Driver
Chartproducer

DIY?

If you do a search "Replacing sac on Fountain pen" a whole string of threads appears including one it appears with video.

Ok so if your local WHS etc cannot supply a new sac then think Car Boot where there are generally a number of old pens, including Parker ( I got a near new brahmar for a quid)that you can use.

Nice to see man of taste - nib instead of ball.

DVD

DVD
Mmm, I've read the 'Haynes guide to fountink pens' before.

IIRC Step 1 involves unsticking the shellac that holds it together so that you can unscrew it. If it doesn't break, you are recommended to heat the pen in the flame of a spirit lamp. Whilst I might be happy to take a blowtorch to a stuck nut on my exhaust, taking a flame to my fountain pen is quite another matter...
Fountain pen - new sac - THe Growler
Could not agree more. My parents strongly disapproved of anything not written by a fountain pen -- they maintained anything else "ruined one's writing", or "ruined one's 'hand '", as they would have it.

At school everything we submitted had to be written in fountain pen. We even had inkwells on the desks...God I'm old....Biro's were verboten. Yes, yes I studied Latin as well.....

Some 20 years ago I purchased from Heffers a reconditioned Parker 51, black of course with the silver cap which is still in perfect condition and a pleasure to use (except when I'm writing cheques).

Are Heffers still going? I'd like to get another one.

Has to be Parker Blue-Black Ink as well in that oval bottle....

Look on eBay for fountain pens. Lots of them there, at sensible prices. (There's a woman who is sometimes at Covent Garden antiques market on Mondays, who will push at you a scruffy, battered, scratched 51 for well over £100.)

Heffers are still going - indeed they now own almost the whole of Cambridge..., but the old boy whom you bought your pen from (he did several pen repairs for free whilst I was an undergraduate) has sadly died. I think they no longer do fountain pens.

Funny, I've probably spent almost as much on pens as I have on motor cars...
www.rickconner.net/penoply/park.04.html

Parker have recently 'reissued' the 51. But perversely, I believe it does not have the superb 'collector' which made the 51 such a free flowing pen. So the 'new 51' is designed in much the same way as the cheap fakes that were spawned during the 60s.

My vacumatic (so pre 1948 - and with a prodigious ink capacity) 51 (black with gold top) with broad italic nib needs a new diaphragm, and the consequence of breaking it is just too much to risk!

And I've got a 61 with a teflon coated capillary filler that was the latest word in pen technology when launched - but famously temperamental to say the least.

Back to the keyboard...
Fountain pen - new sac - helicopter
Heffers sure were still going in Cambridge last year - Sidney Street IIRC.

I too remember inkwells on the desk and the scratchy nibbed pens provided by the school. I also remember the boy who on his first day was sent to collect the stone bottle of ink to fill the inkwells. He tripped on the stairs, broke the bottle and covered himself and new uniform. His nickname at school thereafter was Inky.

Latin was also studied by yours truly in dusty classrooms smelling of chalk forty years ago.What a waste of time.

The only use I ever found for it was in completing the Telegraph crossword.
We'll be moderated in a moment... but no, Latin is far from useless. It's the only proper grammar I've been taught since Prep school, and so useful from that perspective. It is the foundation for lots of languages, and makes learning them easier. It gives a unique perspective on a civilisation long gone. It makes going to church more interesting if you understand what is going on.

I didn't much care for it at the time though.

::obligatory car reference:: it makes car names more memorable.
Fountain pen - new sac - THe Growler
>>>>Latin was also studied by yours truly in dusty classrooms smelling of chalk forty years ago.What a waste of time.

Not at all. Anyone who studied Latin at school had a head start in languages.

Where would I be now without having parsed great lengths of Latin literature ("the barbarians are at the gate", for example) or embraced the virtues of the vocative case, let alone the subjunctive and the pluperfect tense.

This has nothing to do with fountain pens -- well actually it does -- because my final Latin exam was written with one. My report from Mr Pritchett said (in red ink) "Has made little or no progress this term". Thus instead of the usual fatherly 10 shilling end of term note I got a severe ear-bashing from Dad.

Thanks for the Heffers comments, I'll be in UK in a couple of weeks and will give them a call.

>>give Heffers a call.

Not if you want a vintage fountain pen. Sorry! Don't do them.

I know a couple of very expensive shops in London that will take your arm & a leg & give you a pen in exchange.

Ah the red fountain pen. I had a special red fountain pen [filled with red ink, Patently] kept for marking supervision work. Always offered them sherry though - it made supervising an ideal pre-dinner occupation.
Fountain pen - new sac - Mark (RLBS)
enough, I think. Thank you.
Fountain pen - new sac - L'escargot
Anyone who studied Latin at school had a
head start in languages.

I studied Latin for one year only, at the end of which my teacher said that I spoke Latin like a native (!).
--
Romanes eunt domus? - Ian (Cape Town)
My favourite Latin lesson ever...

members.chello.se/hansdotter/romanes.html
Fountain pen - new sac - BrianW
I've got one of those stone bottles which I picked up from somewhere years ago.
It's red ink and still has some in it!
A real gent! - Hugo {P}
Not sure where to put this post - but I hope that the moderators will indulge me, or indeed move it to a more suitable location.

Having read his book I am moved at how a person describing himself as unable to settle in his own accomodation can accomplish so much.

Graham Walker is a Big Issue Vendor who moves from town to town in the South West. He was originally born in Bristol and spent many of his formative years in a children's home in the 60s. His life after then was not untypical of his early background. However, he has this amaizing ability to direct his energies in a positive way. He is selling his book in aid of charity. My wife bought a signed copy from him.

He is currently based in Tavistock, not for long though according to his website. His stall, currently outside Supadrug, is the one with slogans such as "Please form an orderly Queue", or "free Delivery on Orders over £25".

He has raised thousands of pounds for charity including the Big Issue Foundation and Childrens' Hospice South West. He was voted Barnstaple's Citizen of the year.

Have a look at this site and see foer yourselves. Next time your car gets scratched or you land yourself with a speeding ticket, please spare a thought or two for people like Graham.

www.bigissueman.co.uk/

Hugo
Children's Tax Credit - BobbyG
Last year both myself and my wife were working, my wife has now given up work to become a student. We notified Inland Revenue and we have received the new Award and it is basically the same as last years, even though our income has dropped dramatically.

I have searched their web page to see if there are any scales or anything but can't find them. Does anyone know if these are capped at a certain income?
Children's Tax Credit - Happy Blue!
I don't know about the CTC, but when my wife started at Uni, she got zero grant simply becasue I earned too much. The fact that she had paid tax for 12 years from age 16 was ignored.

In terms of CTC, it disappers above a certain level of income (my accountant laughed when I gave him the form to fill out for me and threw it in the bin), and may well be banded or based on previous years income.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Children's Tax Credit - Hugo {P}
Bobby

I know that it sometimes takes a few goes for the IR to get this figure right and I think that the communication between the staff is increadibly poor.

When I was made redundant I informed the IR and the tax credit award was the same! It turned out that although I was then working 0 hours per week, my income was taken as being unchanged.

It took a few goes to sort this out.

This year I started working for myself (on April 6th actually). SWMBO and I received identical notices that showed the amount to be unchanged. After two or three goes we managed to get it sorted.

If you are not having any luck with the IR, you can go down to your local jobcentre where they can do you an In Work Benefit calculation. I took up this offer and the actual amount I am getting is fairly close to what was estimated.

As far as threasholds are concerned, those earning some £58K or above (last year's figures) do not qualify IIRC.

Hugo
Children's Tax Credit - Dalglish
bobby g -
searched their web page to see if there are any scales or
anything but can't find them

how about "Rates and Allowances - Tax Credits/Child Benefit" at
www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/rates/taxcredits.htm ??

or

using search.msn.co.uk or google.uk
brings up many helpful links. for example, try

www.channel4.com/4money/taxpensions/features/guide...l

and its two other pages.

"The size of the award depends on ..... .. ... One and two-earner couples are treated equally, so .....
The maximum credit - £4,880 for parents with three children ? will be paid until earnings reach £13,230 (£13,480 for 2004-05). Thereafter, it is withdrawn at a rate of 37p for every pound until the credit reaches £545. It remains at that level for incomes up to £50,000, when it again tapers off. In the first year of a child?s life, parents receive an extra £545 a year. ... "

or try
www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/HomeIR.aspx
www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHou...x
www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/Apply/ApplyIni...x
where they will clculate it for you online.

Children's Tax Credit - BobbyG
Dalglish, thanks for that. The IR website still confused me but the Channel 4 site has made it all clear.
Seems a strange way of working it out but, hey, I'm not a politician!

Thanks for taking the time to find those links.

Childcare question - Soupytwist

My wife & I have a nearly two year old who attends a local nursery full time. A brother or sister is due in early October. My wife (being a teacher) will in effect start maternity leave at the end of July and intends returning to work around Easter 2005. In order to keep the elder child in the nursery habit he will attend three mornings a week while my wife is on maternity leave.

Our nursery intends charging us a £25 per week retainer for his full time place in addition to the cost of the three morning sessions. If anyone has experience of this situation I'd like to know if this is a reasonable / normal state of affairs.

To be honest we feel as though the nursery is taking the mick slightly as it would only cost about an extra £40 a week over and above the three sessions plus retainer cost to keep current son in nursery full time but we don't want to do that. We don't want to move child number one from his current nursery since he only started there around Christmas after we moved house.

Thanks
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Childcare question - Rebecca {P}
Sounds like they're being quite generous to be honest! As most decent nurseries could fill their full time places several times over, I would say you're lucky not to have to pay the full rate to keep his place. (Have you also secured a place for the new baby if he/she is to go to the nursery too?)

So yes, quite reasonable/normal in my experience. You could also ask your question on www.ukparents.co.uk forum section for lots more opinions.

(BTW if your wife intends to take your son into Nursery on the three days, consider swapping to afternoons - it's a real hassle getting self, baby and toddler up in the mornings and not to be underestimated. If you're taking him on your way to work, then that's a lot easier)

Rebecca (shuddering at the memory of nursery bills!)
Thanks for the reply, perhaps we are being unreasonable then !

We'll consider the option of putting the toddler in during the afternoons while the wife's on maternity leave. I won't be taking him, it's part of my wife's getting a bit fitter plan to walk there with him. In fact, given how easily distracted he is, in order to get him to nursery for 8:30 she'd probably have to leave at about 7 am for the approx. half mile trip there!
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Childcare question - Mark (RLBS)
Matthew,

I\'d have to agree with REbecca.

Firstly I think that you\'re lucky that they are even prepared to keep the place open, never mind the cost. And having said that I think the cost is reasonable - they are keeping a place open which they need not, for less than they could get if they let the place go, with no guarantee that you won\'t change your mind or move.

I\'d bite their hand off if I were you.

On the other hand I think nursery in the afternoon is an awful idea. I do agree that its a pain getting ready in the morning, but at least you can do stuff in the afternoon without having a finish time. If you try and do something in the morning you\'ve always go the finish time limiting you.

Also, I\'d rather someone else dealt with Camilla in the morning when she tends to be crabby at the start of it and full of energy bouncing off the walls for the rest of it. At least I get a placid, slightly less energetic child in the afternoons.

And then we find out that one of the other 5 nurseries in town is having to close as it will lose its premises. So there's going to be a whole load of parents looking for full time places in other nurseries. We'd better just bite the bullet in that case.

I take your point about afternoons as well, I'll discuss it with my wife.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.

Just to round things off, in reply to letter my wife wrote to the nursery asking them to state exactly how much the monthly direct debit would be once our son went part time we got a letter stating the figure, of which £63 per month will be the retainer.
Now people on here have told me I was getting a decent deal I almost feel obliged to write back saying we'll pay more.
Almost, but not quite.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Getting spiders out of my bedroom - andymc {P}

{Post moved from the \"Getting spiders out of my garage\" thread. DD}

I know this should normally go in the IHAQ thread, but seeing as this thread already exists ...

Lots of tiny little red spiders have started to invade our bedroom because the velux window evidently isn\'t completely sealed. Until that is fixed, I have to put up with literally dozens of the things covering the wall - right above the bed. Now, normally I don\'t object to spiders at all, but when several of them take advantage of sleepy time to end up in your ears, hair, nose etc ... you get the picture. I want to get rid, pronto. In the meantime, the bed has had to be moved to an awkward position in the room. Please, can volvoman or anybody else tell me where I can buy one of those ultrasonic thingies that will encourage them to scarper?

PS if mods prefer, I will move this to IHAQ.
--
andymc
Getting spiders out of my bedroom - Dynamic Dave
Please, can volvoman or anybody else tell me where I can buy
one of those ultrasonic thingies that will encourage them to scarper?

QVC Sell them.

tinyurl.com/27bte
Getting spiders out of my bedroom - billy25
i would be inclined to forget "encouraging" these things to leave peacefully, and forcibly try to evict them as savagly as it takes, taking no prisoners along the way!.

these spidey creatures are known as "red spider mite" and as people who have kept chickens will tell you, once an invasion force has taken up residence, the only true, sure -fire way to eradicate them entirely was to burn the coop, and replace with new.
there are propiety "medications" on the market that suppossedly deal with these things, but the best we found, was neat "jeyes" fluid.
i suggest as you can`t very well burn your bedroom, that you hoover the obvious creatures up, and along the crevices they are getting in through, and then burn the bag, and then with a paintbrush run some neat jeyes along all the crevices around the window, repeat every couple of days till you see no-more of them.
the room may smell quite a bit during treatment, but at least its a clean smell, and i know which i would prefer.
then get window properly sealed a.s.a.p.
billy.
Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - Dwight Van Driver
Please, as a naive sort of bloke, can any of you wordly wise BR's advise me why?

Ploddaughters VW Polo currently at my home so yesterday up with the bonnet to ensure oil level etc OK and found air hose in terminal state of disrepair, split and hanging off. Stripped it off and down to VW Gin Palace to get a new one. "Middle of next week". was given on availability. Cool calculated sarcasm had to be brought into play resulting in promise for part am today.
Duly collected part - a 22inch long, 1 - 1/2" bore piece of plastic intertwined with fuse wire. Cost: THIRTYONE POUNDS FIFTYSIX PENCE. Holy Murphy (Mark won't let me swear). How the hell do they justify such a price.

Answers on a tenpound note to DVD please.

Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - Stuartli
Genuine OEM VW and other German, French and Swedish car parts from:

www.gsfcarparts.com/

Order catalogue online.

A pretty big air hose bought a couple of years ago for my then 1.6 Jetta TX (engine to outside air intake) from the local VW dealership was £14 - like most major marques' car parts, ordered for overnight delivery and collected the following day.
Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - Dwight Van Driver
Thanks for that Stu.. Duly noted.

Know anybody else that examines heads????

DVD (Still smarting after rip off)
Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - malteser
About on a par with the Euro equivalent of 97 quid for a genuine VW/Skoda battery for my Fabia tdi.

Rip off merchants!
Roger in Spain
Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - PhilW
"a 22inch long, 1 - 1/2" bore piece of plastic intertwined with fuse wire. Cost: THIRTYONE POUNDS FIFTYSIX PENCE"

When a similar (?) air hose went on my son's Clio I went and got some of that metallic concertina stuff from B&Q for about a quid. Renault had quoted about £20 and it looked identical to me - and seems to work!
Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - THe Growler
Blimey. I'm just hoping the 8000 quid or so in my UK bank account is going to be enough for a 14 day visit.....
Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - PhilW
Should just about cover parking, and speeding fines....!!
Wallet lightening -Thanks VW. - lezebre
Eight big ones? If the BR turnout is modest, a frothy coffee in a pyrex cup for everyone; should leave just enough to buy a restored Italian Lambretta to take home to Growlesse, in case she has days when she wants to just buzz along rather than the serious motoring that is a Harley.

(Better pray she doesn't need to stop in a hurry)
Daytime Telly Question - lezebre
Anyone else care to admit to being hooked on Channel 4's A Place in Spain?

Swmbo and me have watched every episode featuring the unforgettable Welsh couple who have made emigrating into something of an oddessy.

Except the last episode!

Thing is I got so excited about the constant rain stopping for long enough for me to take the bike out, that I forgot to set the video for friday's prog, and she has just told me that was the finale - D'oh.

So we're hoping for an answer in the way of a bit of a commentry on how things panned out for them.

TIA, and apologies to the majority who have read this question without a glimmer of interest!!!
Daytime Telly Question - frostbite
Caught some of these including what I now understand was the final one - it didn't seem that way though - fairly typical of what I thought was a flimsy excuse for a programme with a self-centred and unreliable main character.

The snail farm was established and stocked next to the agent's property with the help of some Spanish experts who our hero was stroppy with. He was still looking at returning to UK for an op and, er, that's it as far as I recall.

Didn't exactly find it compulsive viewing, so could easily have missed something.
Daytime Telly Question - L'escargot
I'm hooked on Channel 4's Countdown, which I video because 3.15pm is much too early to start watching the telly.
--
How can Shops in High St compete - Dude - {P}
I ordered goods off an internet site over 4 weeks ago when payment was deducted immediately from my credit card and still the goods have not been delivered. This means they have not only had the use of my money interest free for over 1 month, but have still not delivered the goods & despite me E. Mailing on several occasions, they refuse to reply.

I question whether this is a fair and ethical way to trade and if it is, how on earth can shops in the High St who are lumbered with penal Council Tax ever hope to compete.

- Needless to say I will never use this company ever again.!!!
How can Shops in High St compete - frostbite
Ask your card co. to initiate chargeback - this will cost your (non) supplier and might wake them up a bit.
Pebbledash - frostbite
Half-listening to a building related programme I heard someone say something to the effect that 'you don't want pebbledash on the outside of your house'.

Would this be a 'fashion' thing, or is there some technically undesirable feature?
Pebbledash - BazzaBear {P}
Apart from the fact that it looks truly awful you mean?
Well, once it's pebbledashed, that's it. To then remove it will probably damage the brickwork underneath pretty severely, costing a lot to put right.
Pebbledash - lezebre
Fashion I think. 'Sierra man' used to live in a pebbledash house, apparently. If one has a house pebbledashed and then tries to sell it, not only will prospective buyers not like the appearance, but (especially given that it is unfashionable) they will wonder what it is covering up.

Thanks for answering my question, Frostbite.
Pebbledash - henry k
Fashion I think. 'Sierra man' used to live in a pebbledash
house, apparently. If one has a house pebbledashed and then tries
to sell it, not only will prospective buyers not like the
appearance, but (especially given that it is unfashionable) they will wonder
what it is covering up.
Thanks for answering my question, Frostbite.

>>
I cannot agree with this load of rubbish.
My previous house along with all in the street were built in 1930s and all had a pebbledash finish. Exactly the same finish as Marley Garages of cica 1960s. I cannot believe Marley too chose the same finish by chance.
We had no problems with the pebbledash or selling the house.
There certainly may be questions asked if the pebbledash was ADDED at a later stage(possibly to hide problems). Stone cladding is by far the worse in appearance and raises additional concerns that the stones are properly secured.me
Pebbledash - L'escargot
I agree with lezebre about wondering what it's covering up, but also I wouldn't relish the thought of having to periodically paint it to keep it looking nice. I know it can be left unpainted, but if it's painted when you buy it then you don't have much choice.
--
Pebbledash - Stargazer {P}
If pebbledash was added immediately after construction and the wall was designed to have an outer cladding then no problem.

Main problem is when added later for any of the following reasons:
1. to conceal problems or defects
2. if the wall was never designed to be sealed in by portland cement render eg lime mortar walls have to breathe, peblledash would seal the walls and all moisture has to exit through the inside of the wall.
3. poorly attaches, water gets inside and freezes in winter, pebbledash becomes separated from wall and falls off in large sections.

Ian L.
Pebbledash - Mapmaker
And the result of stargazer's problems:

1. If you try to remove it subsequently, you may end up with all sorts of other work required. For instance, if the windows have been 'modernised', or if there has been bomb damage, there may be areas of non-matching brickwork.

2. You end up with 'damp' inside the house, and a 'damp consultancy firm' will recommend filling the walls with chemicals - that won't help at all.

3. You think pebbledash is ugly? Try half-pebbledash!
Pebbledash - Happy Blue!
Ask any surveyor.

A newly rendered or pebbledashed house, i.e. covering the external elevations some significant time after it was built, is going to raise lots of queries. The most important one is WHY? - what's it hiding?

If you really want to do it, take lots of (non-digital) photos before hand to show that there were no problems with the base wall. However, much better if you didn't do it at all.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Pebbledash - frostbite
In my case, it's not a question of 'doing it' - it's a 60s built house with original pebbledash (as are most in my road) and I simply wondered why it was so undesirable, according to the guy I heard.

It still looks OK to me, so I think I will ignore it as a fashion thing. Thanks for all the comments.
Pebbledash - Stuartli
There are houses built within the last 20 years about a mile from where I live that are pebbledashed; others are half-timbered.

In both cases the properties tend to look very scruffy within a comparatively short space of time after being painted or treated.
Pebbledash - Mapmaker
>>fashion or technical?

If the house was built without it, then (a) definitely aesthetics, and (b) possibly technical for reasons outlined above.

If the house was built with it, then potentially aesthetics. Your house would probably look silly without it. Don't paint it (once you start, you can't stop). Stick with it!
Pebbledash - Happy Blue!
If it's original pebbledash then that's fine. Leave it well alone and if its not painted then don't do it!

The problem with rendering and pebbledashing is that if the property moves ever so slightly, it will cause a crack in the render which will look unsightly (the cracks goes black) and may lead to some render dropping off. Minor movement of a house built with facing bricks may suffer no cosmentic problems at all.

--
Pebbledash - frostbite
I must admit, after all those years, there's rather more dash than pebble!

No, it hasn't been painted. Next door had theirs 'refreshed' a few years ago which seems like a good idea.
Pebbledash - Happy Blue!
If by refreshing, you mean effectively renewing the pebbledashing then fine, it will smarten the building up. If you haven't replaced windows yet, it may be a good idea to do it before you refresh the pebbledashing, otherwise you will get a very ugly effect around the reveals.
--
Pebbledash - Altea Ego
Well as an owner of a pebbledashed house (and the one before it) I can speak with some authority here.

Both houses were built that way and both were painted when bought. It is perfectly possible and easy to keep it looking good.

First house was prepared (surface cleaned, cracks filled with flexible filler) then given two coats of a high quality exterior masonry paint. 10 years later it still looked as good as the day it was painted.

My new house was built with pebbledash, has been extended and where extended pebbledashed. I shall be doing the same thing with this as I did with house no1 and fully expect the same result.

At no time has the fact a house has been pebbledashed ever put me off buying it, and nor has it with anyone else I know.
Pebbledash - Mapmaker
>>At no time has the fact a house has been pebbledashed ever put me off buying it, and nor has it with anyone else I know.

With Victorian houses in London that were 'modernised' during the 60s & 70s by pebbledashing & changing the shape of the windows, then pebblesashing definitely puts people off, for the above reasons.

Pebbledash - Altea Ego
Ah well thats different, If you are in the market for a Victorian house then you want it to look, well, Victorian.

In commuter land out here, 35% of the stock is pebbledashed - built that way.
Pebbledash - lezebre
With Victorian houses....pebblesashing definitely puts people off.

Is that RICS speak for when the period solid bricks have been unfortunately rendered over, but the original sash windows retained???
Pebbledash - billy25
morning all,
reading through this query, i tend to get the impression that people are confusing "pebble-dashing" with "rough-casting".

pebble-dashing is where the individual stones stand proud of the fixing render, and can be knocked off simply by running a hand over it. It is not usually painted as its own appearance is usually quite attractive. It can however suffer from the same defects as mentioned in the threads above, i.e loose patches etc.

Rough-casting, is where all the stones are mixed in to the rendering porridge-fashion, before being applied to the walls, this results in a uniform coloured covering that is smoother than pebble-dash, and can be painted. It is usually this finish to be wary of....as this is a well known "cosmetic covering" for dodgy structure.
pebble-dashing = o.k
rough-casting = no-no

billy.
Pebbledash - BazzaBear {P}
From your descriptions, although I didn't know the difference I was talking about pebble-dashing. And I still think it looks terrible, but that's just my opinion.
Pebbledash - frostbite
Thanks for that Billy. One or two of the posts had me a little confused but I now understand what they could have been referring to.

FWIW I was talking about 'genuine' pebbledash.
Getting rid of an old bath... - SteveH42
I'm in the process of having the bathroom re-done but we've hit a fairly major snag. The old bath is a metal one, seems to be cast iron and weighs an absolute ton. Two of us just about got it out of the bathroom in to the bedroom but I can see no way we can get it downstairs and out of the house, especially as the stairs are awkward. I've tried hitting it with a club hammer and aside from a few bits of enamel shooting off and a great big 'ding' sound I get nowhere.

Any suggestions?
Getting rid of an old bath... - Stuartli
Whatever you do don't attempt to damage or break it up..:-)))

People will pay really serious money for original cast iron baths - don't be fobbed off by silly offers if you do decide to sell it, especially if it has the original tap fittings etc. You are talking well into three figures value wise.

Our Victorian six-foot cast iron bath was sold when we had a new bathroom done - it was replaced with a slightly shorter cast iron model because of the type's superiority over today's plastic efforts, as well as maintaining the Victorian feel of our property.

To get the original bath down the stairs required four strong men and some hefty ropes. The men used the ropes to allow the bath to slide slowly down the stairs.

We had several offers for the bath even whilst it was standing on the driveway waiting to be collected by its new owner.
Getting rid of an old bath... - SteveH42
Taps aren't original, we damaged some of the enamel removing it and trying to break it up but it was already damaged anyway which is why I wanted to replace it... It's nothing special either, just a standard bath just happens to be made of metal. The feet have been slung also.
Getting rid of an old bath... - Dwight Van Driver
Angle Grinder with Metal disc?

DVD
Getting rid of an old bath... - Pugugly {P}
Farmers. Keep it complete, farmers love these (not to bathe in you understand) They have been known to open their wallets to obtain them. They use them as troughs.

PS they don't care about chipped enamel by the way.
Getting rid of an old bath... - Stuartli
Might not be special to you, but to others....:-)

Chipped enamel can always be repaired.

I assure you, such baths are worth serious money.....

A new one can cost around £1,000 although £500 or so will acquire one - all depends on where you buy it.
Getting rid of an old bath... - Civic8
It`s unlikely you will smash it with club hammer.Try using a sledge hammer making sure you wear eye protection/ear.make sure when hitting bath you try and break into four pieces.from centre edge to other side ie between bath taps.then the same on length of bath.short sharp clouts usually crack then break bath.assuming you want it out of the way sharpish.
--
Was mech1
Mobile Phone. - Pugugly {P}
Situation. SWMBO and I have work mobiles. We need more privacy when we're off. We have an old phone (Nokia 3210) which has been a reliable friend(but his battery is dying)and has a no cost SIM which provides 50 mins a month for free.

The phone will be used for incoming calls mainly, little use on calling out.

I don't need (but probably will have to have) this camera rubbish.

We have considered updating to a new phone on contract before we commit there are some basics I need answers for. The spotty youths in the shops know nothing I find.

1. The Nokia has a standard looking SIM in it, have all phones got a standard fitting ?

2. Would it be better for me to buy a pay as you go phone, chuck away the SIM and install the Nokia's SIM thus keeping the old
deal ?

3. Tri-band. I need to use the phone in the US is Tri or Quad band what I need (one of the reasons the Nokia's battery won't be upgraded) ?
Mobile Phone. - Dalglish
pugugly

1. the sim will fit any phone afaik

2. someone i who knows these things suggests you try sagem-myx-2 as a good value option. available from argos cat no. 547/8448 - was £50 or so. if you want a fancy tri/quad band phone, go to a small local phone-shop - get a cashback deal on a 12 month contract, which won't normally be advertised in print. you will get a free top range phone with lots of free time etc. for about £3 or £4 per month effective outlay but remember to cancel contract before 12 months are up.

3. sorry, but i don't know the answer.
Mobile Phone. - Welliesorter
With a few exceptions, SIMs are interchangeable. The main thing to watch out for is that phones are often locked by operators to prevent the use of SIMs that aren't their own. I believe most Nokias are trivially easy to unlock now: several web sites will generate a code to enable you to do it yourself.

To use a phone in the USA you need at least tri band (it needs to have 1900 Mhz I think). Don't expect universal coverage. It's a big country and GSM was adopted there later than in the rest of the world.

There are lots of bargains in the form of contract, pay-as-you-go and SIM-free phones at tinyurl.com/3tftk .

I used an Ericsson R520m for a couple of years and still keep it as a spare. It's triple band and has GPRS and Bluetooth as well as a long lasting battery. It's made of metal and has stood up to being dropped several times. Its one achilles heel is slow predictive text but this is only an issue if you use that particular feature. It's an old model but I mention it because it's available pretty cheaply now. See the link above.

One tip: for international roaming consider Virgin Mobile, whose charges are slightly less outrageous than those of the other operators. A SIM costs a tenner and has £5 worth of credit. There's no line rental to pay. You have to set up a direct debit in order to have international roaming enabled. I have a Virgin SIM which I only use abroad.

Mobile Phone. - Mark (RLBS)
An Orange SIM and a Vodaphone SIM are usually NOT interchangeable by default.

Why don't you use different profiles for different groups ? Essentially you could put people into two groups, say work/unknown & home, then set it so that in one profile it is silent on all calls except those within the home group when it rings.

It works for me.
Mobile Phone. - Welliesorter
An Orange SIM and a Vodaphone SIM are usually NOT interchangeable
by default.

This would have been true in the past, when phones were all single band, as those two networks use different frequencies. Orange and T-Mobile (formerly OnetoOne) use 1800 MHz and Vodafone and O2 (formerly Cellnet) use 900 MHz.*

Unless someone can think of an exception, all phones currently on sale are at least dual band. This means that the only thing preventing SIM swapping is the locks deliberately put on the service providers.

*In fact O2 have some cells which run on 1800 MHz to provide extra capacity in certain areas. These rely on customers having dual band phones.
Mobile Phone. - Pugugly {P}
Thanks one and all, now much clearer ! After reading this SWMBO has decided to go for a contract phone, so she can whisper and text sweet nothings to me.
Property in Bulgaria - BobbyG
The knowledge in the backroom never fails to amaze me so here goes..

My aunt has just bought a derelict house in Bulgaria (she lives in Glasgow). Long story behind it, but at the end of the day she now needs an architect and a builder to do the necessary works.

Now she goes back out in a couple of weeks to start the ball rolling with this but just wondering if anyone had any experience of this, or knew someone who did, or had any further useful information!

Property is in Ozbor.
Property in Bulgaria - frostbite
I will also be watching any answers with interest since I quite fancy departing for Bulgaria on a permanent basis.

Unless things have changed, foreigners cannot personally own property in Bulgaria, but may purchase a company which can. I dare say your Aunt will already be aware of this, which will doubtless change when they join the EU (only thing causing me doubt).
Property in Bulgaria - BobbyG
Yeah frostbite , when she was last over she had to set up a company. Think it cost between the region of £500-£600 to do so.
Property in Bulgaria - Mapmaker
I hope she got UK tax advice before setting up a company that will own a property that she uses.

Despite the fact that she owns the company, put all the money in etc. etc., the Inland Revenue are likely to look at the company as providing a benefit in kind to a director (your aunt) on which your aunt will have to pay tax. Stupid or what? True.