Corsa SXI - Canon Fodder

Has anyone got a Corsa SXI?

My polo is getting so unreliable it's going to have to be binned and I'm tempted by the huge discounts ukcarbroker has on the corsa - although I realise it's nearly obselete.

My questions.....

Seats - the SXI has sports seats - are they any good? I hated the standard corsa seats but the sports ones look OK

1.2 Engine - HJ likes it - what do owners think.

Economy / performance - Most of my miles are long slogs up and down the M6. What are noise levels, refinement, and fuel economy like?

Anything else - any must have options? I see A/C is only £300....is the CD any good?

Thanks,

CF
Corsa SXI - Blue {P}
My ex had one and it was a dog, the dealers ended up replacing the car with an upgraded version free of charge.

However, he did quite like it when it was working, and by all reports he quite likes the new one too which has proven fairly reliable.

Seats are quite comfortable, but I have a feeling you will have to order a special one for yourself if you want the A/C. The saleswoman said that Air Con wasn't common on any pre-reg models etc.

Blue
Corsa SXI - Canon Fodder
Thanks for that Blue - unreliabilty seems to be the only thing that is guaranteed with new cars.

CF
Corsa SXI - Blue {P}
Agreed!

But, if you know that the dealer is a good one then you will probably be fine, like I say, the dealers replaced his car within two months after it re-developed the same fault 3 or 4 times. His new one has been ok, so they can't be *all* bad. :-)

Blue
Corsa SXI - Adam {P}
My friend got an 04 at the end of last year but it has just been taken back to Vauxhall because no gear whatsoever can be engaged. I'll let you know more specifically what the problem is when I know

Adam
Corsa SXI - Dynamic Dave
Has anyone got a Corsa SXI?
Most of my miles are long slogs up and down the M6. What are noise levels....

Basically the SXI is the equivalent of a poor man\'s SRI (a bit like the Golf Driver was a poor man\'s Golf GTI)

You might find the engine a bit revvy as it will no doubt have the sports gearbox fitted, so cruising up and down the m-way could get a bit noisy.
Corsa SXI - Happy Blue!
If the model is going to be obsolete and you will be driving up the M6 often, why go for it? Find something far more suitable - Fabia diesel?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Corsa SXI - Canon Fodder
If the model is going to be obsolete and you will be driving up the M6 often, why go for it? Find something far more suitable - Fabia diesel

I take your point E, but the imminent obselesence means mega discounts - 25%.

As for the skoda, too closely related to my current troublesome Polo, also the corsa SXI can be had for £7300 - a lot cheaper than the skoda diesel

I've looked at Fiesta but can't get comfortable in it so it's a Corsa or a Yaris.....

I'm still going through the process of rejecting my polo so ii've got some time to consider - anyone got any other suggestions for a new car £8k and under for long motorway trips?

Ta,

CF
Corsa SXI - hairdresser
Imminent obslesence? Replacing with a new model? Was speaking about the changes to the corsa for year 2005 model to a good friend who happens to own a very large vauxhall dealership. Changes are yet to be confirmed.

I have had 2 diesel corsa Sxi's. did 20k in first one in under a year and the current 1 just coming up to it 1st 20k service next week. Have had no problems. Usually change every year because of the discount and the free insurance available vauxhall family and freinds discount scheme. Not worth buying anything else, even when my best mate works for skoda uk fabia price doesn't come close. Seats are comfy and build quality ok.Better than my last golf.

Ideal for my 90 mile daily return to work, only problem people have nicknamed it a hairdressers car.

kev.

Corsa SXI - Victorbox
Imminent obsolescence? The Corsa range has only just been given its mid-life re-style and the all new model doesn't come out until 2006.
Corsa SXI - RichardW
£4.5k will buy a good 2000 / 2001 Xantia HDi 110. Why slum it in a tiny tin box with a screamer for an engine for 8k, when you can waft along in armchair comfort at 50mpg for half the price?

Most folk will tell you the remaining 3.5k will come in useful for the expensive repairs they seem to think these motors need every other week (hence the rediculously low price), but my guess is most of it will still be in the bank after 3 years. And you won't be beholden to the stealership either.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Corsa SXI - Canon Fodder

Thanks for the feedback all - seems I confused a facelift with an all-new model.

It sounds like I might be better going for the 1.4 engine.

As for the 2000/01 Xantia - I see your logic Richard but I must have a brand new car with brand new 3 warranty - just a little quirk of mine.....

CF
Corsa SXI - paulb {P}
Had a Corsa 1.2 Elegance (I think - it definitely had air-con, which worked very well) as an accident-repair courtesy car last year. Great fun to drive and quite comfortable, but top gear was very short - it was doing about 3,800 rpm at 70. Couldn't work out why the gearing was so short; the engine seemed quite torquey enought to cope with a longer top gear. The engine was quiet enough, but at motorway speeds the high rpm was pretty noticeable. I don't think I'd want to have to do a lot of motorway miles in one.

As for reliability, some friends of ours have had a Y-reg new shape Corsa 1.2 since new and, as far I know, it has only had to go back to the dealer for services since then.
Corsa SXI - DavidHM
Apparently the 1.3 diesel Corsa is absolutely excellent. I think UKCB has them for about £8k - is there any reason, CF, why you're not considering that? If you are doing high mileages I'm confused as to why you're not automatically looking for a diesel, especially given that you haven't come out and said on this thread that you hate them.
Corsa SXI - Adam {P}
>>My friend got an 04 at the end of last year but it has just been taken back to Vauxhall because no gear whatsoever can be engaged. I'll let you know more specifically what the problem is when I know<<

It's been fixed now. Apparently it needed a new gear linkage box? That probably means something to one of you.
Corsa SXI - MichaelR
I must say I have to fully echo Richards sentiments here.

I fail to understand why anyone with £7000 to spend and a diet of Motorways would want to buy a horrid, plastic tin box with a 1.2 litre engine, such as a Corsa SXi.

If you could only get over your requirement for the car to be brand new you could have a considerably more comfortably journey in a car built for what you want - not built for taking granny to the shops :)
Corsa SXI - DavidHM
re: my earlier post; I mean www.broker4cars.co.uk and not ukcarbroker, who are no longer trading.
Corsa SXI - Canon Fodder

David - are you sure they're not trading? The website is still up and running....Fair point about the diesel - I'll take a look at that. I do like diesels but the £1500 premium makes a lot of difference when your budget is £8k

My car usage is slightly unusual - I'm not doing high mileage, I just make regular long trips north. I end up doing 8000 mile a year in 20 400 mile chunks.

Re the tin box comment - I think you may lack experience in modern superminis sir. My current 1.2 Polo is extremly quiet and refined at 80. The tachometer tells me the engine is spinning at 4000rpm but I sure can't hear it. If only the electrics worked.....

CF
Corsa SXI - Big Cat
The best modern superminis are excellent at giving big car qualities such as comfort and refinement. Those that spring to mind are the Polo, Yaris, Jazz & Fiesta. But there are others that I don't have experience of.
Corsa SXI - Edd
The clio 1.5dci is a good car very similr to the Corsa and better equipt.
I have to say it is quite quiet at high speed as well.
Corsa SXI - Edd
My mate has a sxi and swopeed it after 40k or so for an sri he thinks there excellent cars and didn't have to many problems.
He got betwen 35 and 40mpg I think.
I'd have a look at the a.4 and 1.8 sri though as they will be more perfyl and better equipt (particularly the 1.8sri)