Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - Dulwich Estate
I have a 2 1/2 year old Audi 2.0 Avant. The dealer has a good offer going up to 30th June (end of quarter- bonus-that sort of thing). I fancy a new 130PS diesel with multitronic transmission and quoted delivery is September. But apparently a new face lifted one is due in January 2005. Does it make sense to buy at a good deal and then maybe suffer a bigger loss when trading-in an "old model" 3 years down the line.
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - Mapmaker
It never makes sense to buy a new car. [/miserable curmudgeon mode]
Aaah! mmmm! The smell of that new car that's all yours and never been in the hands of some miserable uncaring so and so. (excepting delivery monkeys of course).

You're right it does make true financial sense - but when did anybody make decisions just on cost. Is your daily paper the cheapest one? Is it always second class postage stamps? Cheapest holiday?

No - if you can afford it - do it. By the way, ignoring interest charges and actual fuel in tank, insurance and tax, i.e. just to park it in the driveway it has cost £241 per month so far - £8 per day.

But back to the question - buy a run out model cheap or buy newest at more cost?
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - DavidHM
Hard to say - if it's a huge saving over what you might normally be able to get, then obviously buy the run-out version.

However, if the saving merely involves your local dealer bringing the prices down towards what you might normally get from a broker, it's hard to see what the rush is. Otherwise you might find you're paying just as much for the run-out version as for the new, improved one.

Personally I would want to save at least £1k over the discount I would get anyway, if I waited for the facelifted one, before making the move.
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - Altea Ego
If you are buying a car because you like new cars, then dont buy a run out model just prior to mk2 hitting the streets. Every sight of Mk2 on the road will have you gritting your teeth with envy.

If you are buying on cost grounds, it entirely depends on how long you intend to keep it to get you thro the depreciation hump (that will be a bit steeper due to Mk2 version being on the streets AND STILL making you grit your teeth)

Did I mention the ""damn I should have waited" (thro gritted teeth) at the traffic q behind shiney mk2 version" effect?
>>If you are buying on cost grounds...

which he isn't.

Stick with your current car. (Oh dear, HJ's site will be banned, as we persuade yet another person not to swap his car. Where's Legacy(still!)lad?)
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - paulb {P}
My humble opinion......

So, the new one's due in January.....but would the dealer necessarily be able to deliver one then? Might that date slip (has been known)? Given you've been quoted 3-month delivery on the existing model and there will likely be a bit more demand for the new model, it seems to me that you could be looking at April for a face-lifted model without much difficulty - by which time your trade-in will have suffered another 7 or so months of depreciation, making the cost to change even greater. Is that going to be worth it? You're still getting a brand-new car in any case.

Personally, I'd go for the run-out - I did when I bought my Civic, which was admittedly pre-registered, but had delivery mileage only and represented a heck of a saving over the cost of a new face-lifted one.
>>' by which time your trade-in will have suffered another 7 or so months of depreciation, making the cost to change even greater.'

Oh that must just be a load of tosh! ;) Or at least, evaluating the cost to change must be a load of tosh in this context.

Our happy Audi buyer is obviously blessed with plenty of (facility for getting) cash (otherwise he wouldn't be buying a brand new car when he already has a brand new car ;o). Whilst admittedly the cost to change may be greater, it ignores the fact that the crucial measure (as if he cares...) is in fact probably the total cost of cars throughout his life.

So whilst the cost to change this car may be slightly higher, the cost to change the next car will be more than commensurately lower as his next trade-in will be 7 months younger.

I _refuse_ (!!) to be told (which is what Paulb is stating, if you boil it down) that 'it's more expensive to keep a car longer than it is to change it more frequently' which is the implication of evaluating 'cost to change', rather than cost per month of running the car.

Phew! Glad I got that one off my chest!
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - patently
It can sometimes be the case, mapmaker.

Current car is worth £10k tradein. New car costs £20k. Cost to change is £10k. You have £10k in the bank.

Next year, current car is worth £9k. New car now costs £21k. Your £10k in the bank is now £10.5k at 5%. But the cost to change is £12k so you can't afford it any more.

Only an example, of course. But it shows how the sums work IF you only look at the (very) short term.

If your objective is to minimise costs over the long term, keep the old car, every time. But if your objective to to get hold of the new car at minimal cost, get it as soon as you have enough folding stuff to pay cash for it.

Anyway, back to the thread. I bought a run-out 323iSE in 1998 and loved it. The discount made it well worth having the old model, as I was on a fixed budget and so got a loaded 323 instead of waiting for a new shape poverty spec 318.

[TIC]And with downmarket marques such as Audi[/TIC], the "gritted teeth on seeing the MkII in front" effect is minimised by thinking of all those glitches on the new model that haven't been sorted out yet. This, to me, is the best reason for avoiding any new model.
I think that's what I wrote/tried to write... but maybe I didn't. On re-reading it, I think I might have done. If that makes sense. Long lunch, sorry!
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - DavidHM
Patently... look at it this way. You change now, cost to change is £10k instead of £10,500.

BUT in 6 months' time, your £20k car is now worth £17,500.

If you'd waited, you'd have maybe £18k's worth of car to sell on, so you'd get your £500 back there thank you.

As for the Mark II - I think the point of a facelift is to sort out all the glitches that were never sorted in the first generation.
David

I think you miss the point that Paul & Patently are right, IF & ONLY IF cost to change is the only measure of affordability, and IF & ONLY IF the amount of money you have in your bank account is only going up by the amount the bank gives you, rather than because you are saving up. (Which begs the question of where the first 10k came from.)

If you are that stuffed, then you shouldn't be driving/buying a new car.

Because the real calculation is then (to (ab)use Patently's numbers):

Next year current car worth 9k. Cash in bank 10.5k, best of all that car which you were going to spend 20k on this year was pre-registered by the dealer, so still only has delivery miles but is now last year's car and can be bought for 15k.

Suddenly there's 4.5k surplus cash to take the whole of the BR to eat moules frites in Carcassonne. Hurrah!!
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - patently
BUT in 6 months' time, your £20k car is now worth
£17,500.
If you'd waited, you'd have maybe £18k's worth of car to
sell on, so you'd get your £500 back there thank you.

My point re only looking at the sort term, exactly..
>>' by which time your trade-in will have suffered another 7
or so months of depreciation, making the cost to change even
greater.'
Oh that must just be a load of tosh! ;)
Or at least, evaluating the cost to change must be a
load of tosh in this context.

[snip]
I _refuse_ (!!) to be told (which is what Paulb is
stating, if you boil it down) that 'it's more expensive to
keep a car longer than it is to change it more
frequently' which is the implication of evaluating 'cost to change', rather
than cost per month of running the car.
Phew! Glad I got that one off my chest!

Steady on, old chap!

I am not trying to tell anyone anything. I offered my post, which was in response to the original post, as my opinion only, based on what I myself did a few months ago and on the thought process I would go through if I was in DE's (happy) situation.

I am in no way saying that it's the best way of approaching these matters - I am sure that it isn't, since I agree that new cars are a money pit - it just suited my circumstances to do what I did in the way that I did it and I thought DE might appreciate the information, that's all. Sorry!
Long lunch, sorry! Not trying to say you're wrong, in fact I did say you're right, if you look carefully... just that (if I may justify myself for a second) you presented cost-to-change as terribly important, whereas as you rightly point out new cars are a money pit, and errr, I'll shut up now, but I hope you get what I'm saying - or rather trying to write.
Long lunch, sorry! Not trying to say you're wrong, in
fact I did say you're right, if you look carefully... just
that (if I may justify myself for a second) you presented
cost-to-change as terribly important, whereas as you rightly point out new
cars are a money pit, and errr, I'll shut up now,
but I hope you get what I'm saying - or rather
trying to write.

:-)

I do, and no harm done, sir - it's Friday night, the sun is out (well, here at least)....Have a virtual pint of a refreshing beverage of your choice.

I'd love to try buying an old car to avoid the depreciation, but I just know that with my luck I'd buy a total duffer, which is a risk I'm not comfortable taking as the lovely, lovely 300+ miles per week commute requires something dependable - hence the Honda.

One of these days I'll give it a go, Mrs B permitting.... ;-)
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1

It's not an OLD car, it's merely not a NEW car! Quite a different thing. Educate Mrs B.
It's not an OLD car, it's merely not a NEW car!

Hadn't thought of it like that.... :-) And quite a lot of car for £1,500, too.
Quite a different thing. Educate Mrs B.

Will try. Mrs B is, however, a lady of firmly-held views and so I suspect it may not be a five-minute task......
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - BobbyG
Difficult one. Some things to consider would be that, generally speaking, when a new car comes out then the chances of getting hefty discounts on it are sometimes nil, and as they will probably be getting heavily advertised then maybe your cost to change may not be made that preferential with your part exchange.

I bought a Scenic not long before the new shape came out. I am now looking to possibly change but I just cannot get the same spec that I currently have, without going for a top of the range with options on top of that!

Unless you have seen the new car, and the spec etc, don't assume it is better than the current model (just ask any previous model BMW 5 & 7 series owners!)
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - fluffymouse(pink)
What a lovely car. Clearly a private purchase as the difference between manual and auto CO2 emissions would be off putting otherwise. Have you looked at the mpg difference btw?

If the Jan 2005 model is purely a face lift and the deal on this one is that good I shouldn't think on an Audi that you will face a huge disadvatage in 3 years time.

Malcolm
Malcolm
www.bangernomics.net
Thank you all for response so far. I'm new to posting so have just replied to the last one - I'll find the proper way in due course.

Food for thought and I will come back when digested. In the meantime:

Spy pictures show New A4 Avant has shades of new A6 front, Alfa rear lights and body line not too dissimilar to Rover 75 Touring.

Reason for trade in at 3 years - have lovely multitronic transmission now (which is so good I couldn't contemplate anything less than another Audi) but warranty expires at end of 3 years. Taking note of expert (?) posts in the past I fear for mega repair bills if (when)it all goes wrong. I had a conventional auto box on an Audi before and it cost £1800 at year 4. It was never right when fixed so I sold it and started on this 3-year renewal cycle.

Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - No Do$h
I can hear Mapmaker warming towards you already. You change your car after three years, so fuelling the market for cars of that age. Next person has it 18 months, then has to pay a fortune for a new auto box. After 6 more months he sells it in disgust, after forking out another £1200 on an ECU and cat.

At this point our Mapmaker darts from behind the bushes with a brown paper bag full of tenners and drives off with a well sorted car for 10% of new price.

You've gotta hand it to him!
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - No Do$h
PS. Not faulting your choice to change at 3 years at all, nor your choice of car. I nearly got snagged by a new Allroad a couple of months back but bottled it at the last hurdle.

Personally I'd risk hanging on if I liked the look of the new A4, but would want to get an early order in to be front of the queue when they started deliveries.
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - NowWheels
I nearly got snagged by a new Allroad a couple of months
back but bottled it at the last hurdle.

It was a close escape for the backroom.

We came alarmingly close to being deprived of a long-running tease-opportunity!
>>You've gotta hand it to him!

It's OK, I'll buy it, I won't steal it...

But you're dead right, ND. I don't know why a 12 year old Audi is worth less than I've spent in restaurants this last fortnight, but it is. And long may it be so.

Honestly, dinner for 2, plus drinks before 6 times (and nowhere very expensive) or a huge great comfortable Audi. No choice, really.

Tell you something, my next car will be coming from eBay.
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - Ivor E Tower
Go for it and change now! You're talking about another 5 months until the facelifted model appears, then you will want to see if you like it, and order a new one and wait for it to be built as they will be in short supply as a new model, with no real discount available because of the "novelty" value of a new car. Meantime you can be enjoying your multi-tronic self and can change again in another couple of years if you realy want to. If you have the money now, why not enjoy yourself with it?
Maybe I'm wrong, but posts seem to say the heart rules rather than the brain.

The new A4 seems downright ugly - but don't most new models esp. BMW give you that feeling. At the moment I'm going with the run-out and will probabaly sign on the dotted line on Monday - £7700 to change.

What's the problem with "Dealer Warranty" for year 2& 3 rather than manufucturer's one?

Mind still not totallly made up. Waiting to learn all about it.

Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - Avant
Go for it now, with heart and head! If you buy a diesel it will still hold its value, as Audis and VWs do, run-out model or not.

And a big bill after the warranty runs out on your present car would knock out any advantage there might be in waiting for the new model (is it really as soon as next January?). I don't think it makes much difference your end whether it's a manufacturer's or dealer's warranty - most of them do it this way.

Mine is a 2.5 TDI Avant with multitronic and I love it. Make sure you don't mind the slightly slow step-off from rest (compared with a manual where you start with a few more revs).

Have fun with it!
Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - Martin Wall
I guess if you buy the current shape then at least the early glitches will have been sorted - no guarantee of this if you get the new shape. If you like the current model and you get a good deal then go for it - otherwise we'd all be waiting around for ever for the next new thing!

Are you getting the steering wheel buttons to let you change gear? HJ says not much use without so make sure that's part of the package...
Mmmmmm..........it seems I'm getting one then! 2 points though - dealer says he has sold many, many multitronics but almost none with steering wheel controls. As important as HJ suggests? About £230 extra. Don't know.

Also, I now know Audi 3 year's warranty gives only year one breakdown cover in Europe not 3 years like all Japanese manufacturers I have looked at. If you use your car in France / Spain in years 2/3 it's extra insurance or take a chance. And Japanese apparent reliablity would seem to suggset those cars need the benefit less.
>>it will still hold its value, as Audis and VWs do

Erm, not that well. And the depreciation tends to be higher owing to higher initial cost - read HJ's guide to buying a car.

Buy a new Audi A4 Avant? - Avant
Steering wheel controls - I've never wished I had them. I don't find I need the manual override very often, as it kicks down without delay if you put your foot down.

Pushing the selector lever to the left and down gives you a lower 'gear' instantly, as a column control would, and it doesn't take a moment. I should think it depends on how fast you want to drive and whether a split second is important (I don't mean that rudely - it is for some!).

I went for the 2.5 TDI as I could just about afford it over 3 years - but I tried a 1.9 130 bhp and it didn't seem that the transmission was blunting the performance at all compared with a manual.