Frugal MPV - volvoman
Well I knew the MPG figure for my Mazda MPV (2.0 litre turbodiesel) would be be far better than my old Volvo but didn't think it would ever be this good (despite the manufacturer's claims)!

Having set the odometer to zero last time I filled up and brimmed the tank again this morning after 314 miles of mixed motoring I've just calculated a figure of 42 mpg !!!

42 mpg for a great big 7 seater with pretty good performance seems truly outstanding to me. I really do enjoy depriving the motorist's friend Gordon Brown of all that money now I no longer run a petrol car :)
Frugal MPV - DavidHM
You've nothing to complain about, but that's about average for a good, modern diesel MPV. (I had 48mpg out of a diesel Sharan I did 500 miles in a couple of years ago, for example). Why anyone would want a petrol engine in a new car is honestly beyond me.
Frugal MPV - DavidHM
Sorry, that sounds soulless... I think it's clear why a Porsche 911 is just fine with a petrol :-)

However as far as anything run of the mill like an MPV or even an executive saloon goes, diesel is surely the way to go.
Frugal MPV - Altea Ego
Just had a busy week schlepping up and down the M6, and got 758 miles from 60 litres of Tesco's finest.
Frugal MPV - Ben79
Just had a busy week schlepping up and down the M6,
and got 758 miles from 60 litres of Tesco's finest.

58mpg! Thats only a number I could dream about in my C5.
Frugal MPV - volvoman
Well I don't think I'm going to be able to match that RF (you sure you weren't coasting some of the time? :)

Seriously though, given that over half the mileage I did was urban and I spent quite a long time stuck in tailbacks and going nowhere fast on the M2/M20 the other week, I reckon it's very good. It'd be interesting to see what I could get over a few hundred miles of primarily motorway miles but I don't use them often enough to find out.
Frugal MPV - Altea Ego
Oh dont worry It gets into the mid (sometimes low) 40's in london suburban crawl. That 58mpg (thanks for working that out) was over 700 miles of motorway at 70. Given that there was another 10 litres left in the tank then I reckon i could do the clarkson london/edinburgh/london on one tank easy
Frugal MPV - kal
thats goood what car do you drive.
Frugal MPV - volvoman
IIRC RF drives a 1.8 Laguna II Dynamique or something like that.

This being my first diesel, I must say I'm very surprised at how it performs and as I've already said, the fuel economy. I don't do many miles at present, so for me the fuel savings over a year won't add up to all that much in cash but will be around 30% better than my last car. I also find the diesel engine seems better suited to my style of driving which tends to be at lower revs than perhaps the norm is.
Frugal MPV - NowWheels
IIRC RF drives a 1.8 Laguna II Dynamique or something like that.

I think that RF would be in the record books if that sort of mpg was being squeezed out of a large petrol estate car!

RF's profile says "Laguna II dci120 dynamique"
Frugal MPV - volvoman
Well NW - I knew from earlier threads that RF's Laguna was a diesel but didn't know what the actual model designation was. I can't check profile details so was relying on memory. 1.8, Laguna and Dynamique just came to mind.
Frugal MPV - NowWheels
Well NW - I knew from earlier threads that RF's Laguna
was a diesel

sorry if my reply appeared snippy -- it wasn't intended to be
Frugal MPV - Altea Ego
VM, yours will get better too when its run in. At 18k I dont consider my diesel "ran in" either. Welcome to the modern Derv converts.

Frugal MPV - volvoman
Mine's only done 6.5k and of that I've done less than 600 miles so I'm still getting used to it.
I look at cars totally practically so I don't have any big hang ups about petrol or diesel. I does seem though that diesels do suit my driving needs and style better. Saving a few quid on fuel is a welcome added bonus.