Driving lesson after 20 years! - volvoman
Well it's been over 20 years since I had a driving lesson so, given that I'm assisting Mrs V. to learn, I thought it might be wise to sit in on her lesson to a) see how her official instructor handled things and b) in what respects the test and the required standards have changed over time.

Having explained this to him and allowing for the fact that I am relying on distant memory, I was struck by the fact that things seem to be quite a bit more relaxed. Things like crossing hands when steering, indicating when manoeuvring and changing up/down through the gears don't seem to be dealt with as strictly as I recall. All of this is good of course and I found it very useful to be able to compare what I've been teaching Mrs V. with what her instructor has. In some respects it appears I've been rather tougher on her than is expected nowadays but I'm proud to say that we agreed entirely on the areas she needs to work on a little.

I'm not suggesting that sitting in on a lesson is the same as having one but I do think it was a valuable experience. At least I now feel more confident in what I've been doing and hopefully Mrs V does too.

As far my occasional loud outburst, well I put it down to not having the luxury of dual controls :)
Driving lesson after 20 years! - THe Growler
VM, with the greatest respect, may I submit that you perhaps leave the matter of driving instruction to the instructor. The potential impact on one's relationship with one's chosen partner by attempting to gild the lily may well be irreparable.

I know.

Driving lesson after 20 years! - volvoman
Yes, I know it's often a recipe for disaster but so far so good. She's had about 10-12 lessons with the instructor and so far been out with me for an hour or so about 20 times to practice and consolidate what she's learned. I can't deny there were one or two quite tense moments and one argument very early on but since then it's been fine. Watching and listening to the instructor has helped me and I'm sure I'll be able to explain things I just take for granted a lot better next time we go out (this afternoon probably). I'll also be more relaxed about some of the things I thought were sacrosanct but cleary aren't any more and be able to judge her according to the standards expected in her test as opposed to that I took. I think in one or two areas my own driving will change slightly too. Having been 'assisted' by her instructor a couple of times yesterday via the dual controls (due to the difference between the clutch in her car and his) she'll understand better how helpless I feel sat in the passenger seat with only the handbrake for comfort :)

Anyway,the main point to be made is that it's never too late to learn and I have. Whether or not I try an advanced course remains to be seen.
Comfortable handbrake - Mapmaker
Is a handbrake any comfort whatsoever at over 10mph-ish?

Locking the back wheels to slow a car down is the way I'm told boy racers do handbrake turns (no doubt one will be along in a moment to tell me how they do it...)? Are you better relying on the front & back impact zones of the car you're in and those of the car in front, rather than risking impact being side-on where the crumple zones are much less effective?
handbrake (turns?) - Older_not_wiser
Well, pulling handbrake will not spin car.

You also need hard welly and yank on wheel all 3 at same time -

please do not try this at home.
handbrake (turns?) - Mapmaker
which is why Volvoman will be pulling on his handbrake - Mrs V is accelerating at something she hasn't noticed; notices at last minute and still has foot stuck down & is turning wheel frantically to avoid obstacle.

Comfortable handbrake - volvoman
Is a handbrake any comfort over 10mph ? Well that rather depends on the circumstances and what, if any other options are available doesn't it. IMO it'd be a brave even stupid person who refused to use it simply because they were worried about the slight possibility of spinning the car. I've resorted to using it only once or twice when Mrs V. was braking at junctions but clearly wasn't going to stop in time.
Not perfect or as efective as dual controls I'll grant you but better than closing your eyes and praying :)

Anyway, I've taken the first step towards the IAM and rang them earlier. Apparently it costs £85 and takes several months to do the course followed by the exam which lasts about 90 minutes. The only slight disappointment is that the guy I spoke to at IAM HQ said there was a long waiting list in my area. Don't know how the system works yet but as I'm free and available most of the time I'm hoping I might be lucky and be able to get started sooner rather than later.

I'm sure there have been some threads on the IAM experience in the BR so I'm off to have a trawl.
Comfortable handbrake - Grayedout
I have taken the IAM test twice (part of a previous job) and I can say it has defintely improved my driving !!

The two areas it mainly improved was all round observation.....not of what is happening but more of what COULD happen and being prepared for it !! Second thing is position of the car on road and where you should place it for best observation etc etc.

I would definitely reccommend it !
Comfortable handbrake - Older_not_wiser
You will have no problems.

Scratch that - we all have problems with change.

There is only one insurmountable hurdle.

The "I am right and no bunch of BOF's is going to tell me otherwise" attitude.

Which you don't have.
Comfortable handbrake - pmh
Is the hanbrake any comfort......

well if you pull it hard enough it may just force your buttock muscles to clench up tight and spare your self the double embarassement of hitting something AND xxxxxx yourself!

pmh (was peter)
Comfortable handbrake - trancer
I took my test just this past January and crossing hands while steering was still very much forbidden. If you think it is an eye opener watching someone being instructed, sign up for a lesson yourself and see how well you can do. I had been driving for 17 years prior to my UK test and I am convinced that I would have failed in the first 5 minutes had it not been for the lessons I reluctantly took.

Years ago my dad had many Vauxhalls (Still owns a Ventora) and brought home a spare Viva handbrake mechanism from a friend's scrapyard. The mounting had been torn out of the floorpan and the story surrounding it was that the passenger in the out of control Viva heading off the road on a very steep hillside yanked on the handbrake ripping it out. I don't know how true the story is, but I always remembered it.
Comfortable handbrake - volvoman
Trancer - it was an eye-opener to the extent that I learned what areas of the testing procedure and standards have changed since I passed 20 years and more ago. I'm happy to say that apparently I haven't been teaching Mrs V. bad habits but I thought it best to check that I was backing up what the intructor was doing, not contradicting it. Although I don't feel I'd have any problem passing the basic test as it stands currently (have been doing theory tests on Mrs V's CDRom), consulting the IAM is acknowledgement of the fact that I know I could learn more and improve my driving from so doing.
Like many things we do frequently driving is something we can easily take for granted and familiarity can breed contempt - sitting in the instructor's car brought back the memories of when I was learning and how serious it all was then. We'd all do well to rekindle that feeling when we get in our cars and set off.
If you have the secret....... - THe Growler
......of reverse parking as a result of all this, do let me know. I couldn't do that in 1958, not could I reverse round a corner and I still can't.....