Passat Tyre Wear - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've just had my front Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres, 195- 65 X 15V replaced after 13000 miles. So the full suspension alignment check did not make a big difference to the life- apart from the wear being absolutely even across the tread. Trying a pair of ATS own tyres Euromasters.
So I guess the premature wear is all down to my driving , not that I consider myself a wild driver and I do get 46 mpg overall from the 100bhp PD estate.
Passat Tyre Wear - Older_not_wiser
I would expect significantly less life from the "cheapos".
Passat Tyre Wear - RichardW
On the contrary, cheap tyres tend to be much harder and last much longer, hence their generally much inferior grip levels. ATS Euromaster tyres are made by Michelin though, so should offer reasonable grip.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
The Euromaster tyre wear index is 300 which indicates that compared to the Michelin's 240 they should last longer.
As they are made in the UK by Avon I trust that they also grip reasonably.
My gripe is the 13000 mile life with the front tyres - the worst I've experienced. Does the fore/aft engine layout make this problem worse?
My old Renault 18 with the same layout was not bad for tyre wear as far as I recall.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Passat Tyre Wear - bert-j
Front tyres (Continental ContiEcoContact CP) virtually worn out at 18k on my 2001 Passat 130 bhp tdi. I would welcome suggestions for longer-lived replacements. Back tyres virtually unworn.
Passat Tyre Wear - mark
Hi GWS

I have a 2001 Passat estate, I assume like yours.

Looking through receipts I see that the original Dunlop SPs were changed at 28k (with more SPs)on the front then again at 55k and replaced with Michelin Primacy Pilots. Now at 64k and hardly worn at all.

Last time I shopped around a local fitter told me I wasting my time with "expensive tyres" on the front becuase of the propensity for these cars to eat them. I felt however the extra money was well spent as I would be certain the car would go round a corner rather than through it.

Down to driving style methinks not that hard to spin the front wheels in these when pulling away.

I find the michelins far better then the OE Dunlops IMHO.

As always

Mark

Passat Tyre Wear - andymc {P}
I have 205/60/R15 Vredesteins on my Passat and my Leon. So far, 13000 miles of varied (but mainly enthusiastic) driving in the Leon haven't contributed much wear yet, still loads of tread. I'd say these'll be good for over 20k. Good grippy tyres as well. The Passat doesn't get thrown round corners as much as the Leon (hah! chance'd be a fine thing) and the tyres on it show very little wear after about 10000 miles. Both are TDi's, but in spite of the heavier front end there's no significant difference in wear between front & back on either car yet.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmmm, doughnuts
Interesting comments on tyre wear which make me worried about my driving technique.
Mine is an estate and the rear tyres wear out at at 18000 miles while I am on my fifth front set in 48000.I mainly travel empty except going to the tip and holidays.
Don't make a habit of spinning the front wheels and car has traction control.
Original tyres were Firestones F580(?) which were shot at ~10000 miles- the Michelin Pilot Primacy were consistent at ~12000 miles.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Passat Tyre Wear - mark
Hi GWS

Like you I have the estate, don,t thrash about or carry heavy loads (missus excepted).

I got 40k out of the original rears (Dunlop SPs)2/3mm left at change they are now Mitchelin Primacys too.

As always

Mark
Passat Tyre Wear - flatfour
I always ran goodyear on my Passat, got about 12000 out the front 30000 out the back, don't bother with tracking mine didn't go out over 160000, a friend of mine tried all different tyres but couldn't better the life. Tried a pair of Fauldas on front of my Saab, nearly had a crash they slid off on a corner in the wet at about 35 mph, put goodyear F1 on the next day, same corner in wet no problems.
Passat Tyre Wear - Billsboy
The longest I have kept a Passat (I'm on my third TDi Saloon) was for about 39k miles. From memory, the original fit tyres were Dunlops and lasted well over 25k. The wear was good but I found them noisier than the Michelins on its predecessor. I did swap front to rear at about 15k.
I drive enthusiastically and I was surprised by the comment on cornering. Perhaps it is the sports suspension, but my journey to work takes in two 90degree bends in a 40mph limit and I often find the tailgater in my mirror, is a long way back when I have emerged from the bend.
My current Passat is on Bridgestones and at 7k is too early to predict.
Passat Tyre Wear - andymc {P}
"I was surprised by the comment on cornering"
My Passat's a 99 TDi model, badged Sport. This actually has nothing to do with suspension/handling setup, but simply the trim level of the car at the time. Rather misleading, but I guess it's my fault for not checking properly. I've done some griping on this site about the poor handling, worsened by the excessive wear of suspension and the poor attitude I've encountered from VW UK and local dealers with regard to rectifying the situation. Full Koni set shortly to be installed for less dosh than the dealer quoted to replace the existing suspension with another standard setup.
But that has nothing to do with this thread - sorry!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmmm, doughnuts
Passat Tyre Wear - Vince
I've got a 2 year old Passatt PD 130 Sport and was surprised at the tyre wear until I read these entries! I swapped the front tyres with the rear at 11,000 miles because of the rapid wear in the original Bridgestone Turanza 205/55R16. Now at 19,000 I've got 4 tyres all in need of changing!!
While I've found the Bridgestone offer very good grip and the Road noise is acceptable, I'd appreciate other views??? In the past with other cars I've been a fan of Michelin as they offered excellent grip and lasted much longer. However Dunlop SP's seem to be winning the argument above.
Any views before I commit to 4 new tyres - good grip and low road noise are probably my priorities in that order.

PS: the phrase 'Sport' does mean much firmer suspension and better handling on the version of Passat I've got .... sorry.
Passat Tyre Wear - Cyd
Glaikit comments above that as they're made by Avon they should grip okay!!! If one reads online tyre reviews, one will find that Avons come in for a certain amount of critisism for grip, especially in the wet!

I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on my Rover 820 Vitesse Sport. If ever a car needed tyres that grip like the proverbial to a blanket, this is one of them. With Firestones on she had a massive surfit of power & momentum over grip, but with the F1s she's completely transformed and never so much as a twitch. So far I've done 20k and look like getting 30k from the set. I'm likely to try Dunlop SP9000s next. I have a couple of colleagues with these on a Porsche and MGTF and they give good reports (though the Porsche driver reports they only last 5k on the rear - hhmmm, wonder why that might be!)

My personal experience of 'cheap' tyres: last yonks - great. Let you down when you need them most (like sliding toward that tree) - not so great. I steer well clear (pun intended).
Passat Tyre Wear - Peasant
I would expect a high torque saloon like a TDI to be harder on front tyres. You might save something of the tyres by using less power in first, but making up for that in 2nd?
It's well worth shopping around for tyres, you could save a lot.
Passat Tyre Wear - IanJohnson
I got around 22k out of fronts and around 35 k out of rears on a 1.8T over 96k. More power than the 130 TDI and nearly as much torque - interesting car to drive in the wet without traction control! Mostly Dunlop SP200s, 1 pair of SP300s (Front) one pair of Avon ZZ1s on the back and a pair of SP Sport 3000s just before it went. Must have a light right foot!
Passat Tyre Wear - JohnM{P}
97TDi 110 saloon: of the first 4 sets of front Michelins, 3 lasted 27k each, the other set lasted 22k (daily commute was 120 miles return, 40/60 motorway/country A roads). The other half now has the car, front Michelins last 20k-ish, I think. Rears replaced after punctures (guess 50-60k ish life).
Similar mileage (27k) on Michelins on Audi 80TDi, o/e Dunlops lasted 22k.
Front n/s outer edge wears quickest on each of my cars.

(51 Golf TDi110, front o/e Continentals lasted 25k with first driver, I took over the car and replaced them with Michelins which lasted 35k. O/e rear Continental 60k. Daily commute 135k return motorway).

(Laguna II diesel Tourer Continentals also lasted 27k, but backs worn out on outer edges shortly afterwards).

(No Passat dash rattles, now at 147k)
Passat Tyre Wear - pdc {P}
I'll be getting the front two on my 2002 Passat 2.0 Sport changed this afternoon. It will be the third change in 38970 miles. Back two have been changed once.

I pay VW finance £7 per month for tyres as part of their service, maintenance and tyres package, so it's no real hardship. One of lifes few bargains I feel. Just £84 quid gets me 6 new tyres each year.