Complacent dealers! - CG
In the process of looking for a replacement for my 406 I have contacted a number of dealerships, something I have not done for some years now as I am not a frequent changer.

I saw a medium-sized estate, ex-demonstrator, and arranged a test-drive. Nice car, good quality, price a bit high but could probably be improved, and almost exactly what I wanted. However, it took the dealership over 2 days to dream up a part-exchange figure for the 406 and, when it came, it was just laughable. Even on a conservative estimate it would end up on someone's forecourt at a price £1500-2000 more, surely enough for those in disposal chain? No attempt to close a deal, no attempt to negotiate or persuade, just nothing. Take it or leave it.

Then I contacted an internet dealer specializing in nearly-new. Would they like to quote for a couple of models? As a cash buyer as I would be selling privately first of all. That was over 10 days ago, and apart from a curt one-line email they have not attempted to make contact, and have stated in writing that they are too busy to phone me. They seem averse to phoning when it's convenient for ME rather then for them. They are busy? Well, I have news for them - I'm also busy (as we all are) but there is one significant difference - it's the word 'customer'. Another one of the list.

Then I contacted a large motoring association I belong to, who have a scheme for both new and nearly-new cars. The latter come with inspection, credit-checks, home delivery and so on. I provided the deails nearly 10 days ago, and was promised contact by a dealer in Doncaster within 48 hours maximum. Nothing happened. The association phoned after 3 days, to enquire about progress, and when I told them there wasn't any they promised to arrange contact 'immediately'. That was a week ago - and still nothing.

This says to me that a lot of firms dealing in cars, new and used, must be making so much money that they have no need to go chasing after business. As someone who is self-employed I chase EVERY lead, whether or not it looks worthwhile at the outset. A valuable lesson for those in the motor trade I suggest.

As for the eventual replacement? A friend of my son's specializes in nearly-new Mondeos he obtains at auction. He's been in this line of business for a long time and makes a reasonable living from it. The typical prices he quotes are obviously way below anything a dealer could come up with, and he would like my business. The real pleasure, apart from a good car at sensible price? I can cut out all dealerships at a stroke. This has to be a real bonus for such a complacent bunch of no-hopers.
Complacent dealers! - Adam {P}
I'd go with your son's mate. Too busy to phone you? Er....isn't that their job?

Shocking.

Complacent dealers! - Vin {P}
And...

Why do they look at you like something stuck to the bottom of a shoe when you walk into their showroom (I went to an Audi dealer in Cambridgeshire and was treated with enough contempt that I will NEVER buy an Audi).

Why do they promise to phone then never bother?

Why is there always something wrong with your part-ex that reduces its value?

Why don't they call people for a simple follow up who have bought off them after, say, 3 months, six months, a year, two years. Then when the buyer wants a new car, who would they go to? Their mate at the dealer or someone they don't know at a rival?

Overall, why do they seem to feel that they are doing us a favour by dealing with us?

All these things stem from the utter lack of professionalism in the motor trade in the UK. They result in people like me who will never, under any circumstances, buy from a dealer.

I'm sure that part of the reason is that some customers are contemptible time-wasters, but the secret is to live with it and deal with it professionally, rather than writing off customers as a class. I'm a salesman, and anyone who might ever spend cash with me is worth effort.

V

PS. That feels better.
Complacent dealers! - paulb {P}
I'm with Vin, here. Too many dealers I've been to in the past seem to want you to approach them on your knees, tug your forelock and go "Please sir, might I be permitted to buy one of your shiny cars, if it's not too much trouble?"

I was pleased to note that one particularly egregious example of this breed near me has been relieved of its franchise and has closed down - one begins to wonder how many other people were put off by the foully ill-mannered attitude of the sales staff. The line "I'm not here to give discounts, I'm here to make money" sticks in my memory from my (brief) conversation with the sales manager there.

This kind of thing merely serves to make purchasing a new car an even more dispiriting exercise than it would be otherwise.
Complacent dealers! - Baskerville
With a couple of million new cars registered in Britain every year, the vast majority bought from dealers, they hardly have to try, do they? It might be different once interest rates have gone up a bit and house prices have fallen. Anybody with the cash will be in for a treat then.
Complacent dealers! - Bill Payer
As for the eventual replacement? A friend of my son's
specializes in nearly-new Mondeos he obtains at auction. He's been
in this line of business for a long time and makes
a reasonable living from it. The typical prices he quotes
are obviously way below anything a dealer could come up with,
and he would like my business. The real pleasure, apart
from a good car at sensible price? I can cut
out all dealerships at a stroke. This has to be
a real bonus for such a complacent bunch of no-hopers.

Why did you waste so much time on the other sources when you had your sons friend at hand?
Complacent dealers! - CG
My son only volunteered the info after I had been sounding off about useless dealers!
Complacent dealers! - stokie
CG, how did you dispose of the 406?
Complacent dealers! - Deryck Tintagel
Just to balance the books ... slightly!

I bought my car from a main Vauxhall dealer in the North West just less than two years ago and, as far as dealers go, they were very good.

I e-mailed an enquiry and followed with a phone call - they had the email and knew of my enquiry. They took the car off sale whilst I travelled to look at it. They delivered to me 80 miles away and took my old car in PX. They even have a customer services department who contacted me a short time after to see if the car was OK and always dealt with my enquiries.
Complacent dealers! - peterb
"Why don't they call people for a simple follow up who have bought off them after, say, 3 months, six months, a year, two years. Then when the buyer wants a new car, who would they go to? Their mate at the dealer or someone they don't know at a rival?"

Some do. My dad has bought 3 Primeras in a row from the same Nissan dealer in Cromer. Salesman is in regular touch, and remembers (and/or has a database of) personal details: for example he knows the names of me and my sister and what we both do for a living. This is just good, basic sales technique.
Complacent dealers! - just a bloke
I find my dealer to be very good actually..

They always collect/deliver my car when it's service is due, it is always valeted.
I always get a follow up call to make sure I'm happy.

I've bought a "pre-owned" and a new car from this dealer and would do so again without hesitation.

but in the main I think dealers are pretty poor but thats in keeping with a lot of customer service related industry in this country.

JaB
Complacent dealers! - CG
Still advertising, as soon as it goes it's off to see what my auction guy can come up with.
Complacent dealers! - Collos25
Having just purchased a new Citroen C5 lx hdi estate I first tryed Jam Jar 11,860including delivery , road tax,metalic paint.
Perrys could not even be bothered to quote having left messages etc.Dixons of Bradford matched the price gave a colour option and a weeks delivery date.Polite Precise and correct .And true to their word I picked the car up yesterday.Jct 600 dithered about all day on a Vectra estate and rang me just as I was paying for the Citroen ,Reg Vardy could not give me a delivery date but matched the price.I think good salesmen are few and far between these days
Complacent dealers! - Andrew-T
Where've ya bin, Andy - long time no post?
Complacent dealers! - Collos25
Here there and everywhere,back in the UK till July and then home to Germany for a months holiday.
Regards Andy
Complacent dealers! - volvoman
Over the last 3-4 years on and off I've checked out cars in BMW, Toyota, Volvo, Vauxhall, Hyundai, Mazda dealerships. The BMW dealer staff totally ignored me initially but after test driving a couple of 5 series rang me frequently to try to make a sale. The 4 Vauxhall dealers I contacted when I was considering an Omega never got back to me at all even though I left phone and e.mail details. In the showroom it appeared all too much trouble for all of them. The 2 Volvo dealers I contacted were relaxed and helpful and kept in contact also although they couldn't offer the right product. The Toyota dealer couldn't be bothered to return my calls or arrange the test drive I'd asked for. The Hyundai dealership was keen but very unprofessional. Offered test drives and inducements and tried hard to do a deal but it was all let down by sloppiness really. The first Mazda dealer I visited was was very poor. They didn't listen to what I said, didn't know the product and didn't appear to want to help when I was checking out the MPV. They never suggested a test drive and couldn't be bothered to ask for any contact details. The 2nd Mazda dealer never returned my calls full stop. The 3rd was polite, professional, courteous and relaxed. Test drive no problem, no BS or pressure but kept in touch and set out the options clearly. We did the deal as a result!
Complacent dealers! - Hugo {P}
This is scary stuff really, since these guys are on commission. What are sales targets for?

I don't really venture into dealerships that often, only for some bits and pieces for my cars or van.

In Plymouth we have Yeomans for Citroen, who always seemed OK, I did find one unhelpful individual there though and contacted the dealer principle who agreed to put that right.

We also have Renwicks for Nissan and Renault (covers both the wife's car and the van actually!). The salesman was very helpful in giving a Trade in value of my late mother's car for probate purposes. Although he was not going to make a sale he was courteous and invaluable.

Roger Young (Land Rover) provides excellent service, even when I waste their time with stupid questions! When we were keen to buy a new freelander there some years ago the salesman was very polite, put the options in front of us and let the decision evolve.

H
Complacent dealers! - Avant
We could all help each other here by naming and shaming - as long as it\'s true we run no risk of libel.

Cross Roads Garage Renault - Oxforshire

Excellent, both for sales and service, over 20 years: I only stopped having Renaults because I now buy my own cars and the depreciation is catastrophic on the bigger cars.

Marshall Honda - Reading

Also excellent. We\'re about to trade in my wife\'s Jazz for a Civic type S. Sales exec Mark does what he says he will and wants to sell - seemingly unusual from what others have been saying.

Rye Mill VW - High Wycombe

Service very good - everything written down and explained and jobs done properly.

Aston Green Slough - Audi

Car sold to me by Stuart Crayford, business manager, who was very pleasant and totally professional.

Hope this helps anyone in the Thames Valley area.

{Negative views removed. DD}

Complacent dealers! - Dynamic Dave
We could all help each other here by naming and shaming
- as long as it's true we run no risk of libel.

But how do we know if it is true or not?

One of the main reasons for the no naming/shaming policy of this site is that we have no way of knowing whether or not untruths and/or malice and/or ulterior motives are involved.

Bottom line, no naming/shaming please.

DD. BR Moderator.

One of the things about nearly all dealers ( both Main and independants) that really got my goat when we were looking to buy Mrs JaB's 147 was that even tho' Mrs JaB did all teh talking, I constantly referred all questions to her, I gave her the colur cards etc was that 99% of the salepeople directed their attention to me.

The one that treated my wife as the customer got the deal not surprisingly.

JaB
Annoying I'll grant you but not really a big surprise IMO JAB. On the numerous occasions I take my sons for medical and education related appointments the people I have to deal with almost always look over my shoulder for a 'mother' to talk to and can't seem to grasp that I know more about them than anyone. It's just another form of stereotyping based on increasingly out of date experience and it takes time to change. Market forces should ensure it happens faster in the car sales environment than it does in the public sector. Some dealers will, however, be slower to change and less professional than others.
not really a big surprise IMO

Surprise No.... agravating yes :-)

Jab
Complacent dealers! - patently
I used to look after the little ones while Mrs P did a part-time course on Saturday mornings. We used to drop her off* and then go shopping/round the park/whatever.

On my own with two small kids I used to get one of two looks:

(a) In the park: How awful. There's another one of those divorced fathers being forced to do his bit once a week. Those poor children deserve better than that.......

(b) In shops: Must hold the door open for that poor man. How terrible to have been widowed when his children were so young. Give him a sad and sympathetic face - the'll make him feel better.

Quick rant: Why are the baby changing acilities usually in the Ladies loo?

*motoring link!
Mrs P nearly hit a MB salesman once when looking at A classes.

He ignored her totally throughout, right until the end. Then he turned to her, almost surprised to see her there, and mentions that its really easy to park.

If there was ever a good time to hide behind a potplant, it was then.
Mind you, whilst not wishing to perpetuate stereotypes, he had a good point about the parking :)

Right, I'm off for a driving lesson with Mrs V. before she reads this!
The salesman used to be good at parking, but not now ... although the hospital say he's doing very well and should be on solids sometime soon.
Complacent dealers! - malteser
When you consider the vast amount of money that dealers are forced to pay to send their sales staff on manufacturer's training courses; I am sure that Dealer Principals would be grateful to have such shortcomings brought to their attention.
I know that when I WAS a dealer Principal (& owner!) I would have been very upset to think my hard earned money was being wasted.
Roger in Spain
Complacent dealers! - Happy Blue!
Dealers!!

After looking at the Drive the Deal site yesterday for a Hyundai Trajet for SWMBO (child 3 on the way) I thought to see if I could match the price at the local dealer....

I walk in, say, I'm interested in the following vehicle with these options. I have no car to PX, I am a cash buyer, no finance needed. What is your best price? The chief salesman says '.. well when you really want to buy a car give me a ring...'

I don't think he will be getting my business and Drive the Deal probably will.

However, whe we bought our CR-V, we used a dealer about 40 miles away, who could have been more helpful and obliging. The only blot on their copybook was they could not supply a luggage are cover at all '..they've stopped making them for this model sir..'. Our local Honda dealer who we have used regularly for over 20 years, got on in the next day!

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Complacent dealers! - Robbie
I bought my new Honda from Lookers Honda in Southport, and I can't fault their service. They wanted to sell me a new car and were keen to do a deal. Their Warrington branch was just as eager, and as nice to deal with.

I've been dealing with Lookers - their Vauxhall dealers - for more years than I care to remember, and have always been well looked after by them.
Complacent dealers! - Dulwich Estate
Yep! It's got to Honda for me. I've bought an Audi in spite of my dealer. But SWMBO with a Jazz has nothing but praise for a Honda dealer in Croydon. Nothing is too much trouble. I nearly bought an Accord Tourer from them simply because of the service and right attitude. Trouble is it looks awful.

Oh yes, I remember going into a Mercedes dealership 3 years ago to look at the C class. I'm still waiting for a call about a test drive.
Complacent dealers! - No Do$h
I used to take my Rover 400 to a Honda dealer (it was the 45 shape but still had a Honda engine and auto transmission) despite their higher costs. Frankly I wouldn't have trusted my local Rover dealer to service a bitch on heat, let alone my car.

They were always efficient and always delivered what they had promised. I was given the choice of taking one of their demonstrators for the day or did sir wish to have the car collected and dropped back at his work?
Oh yes, I remember going into a Mercedes dealership 3 years
ago to look at the C class. I'm still waiting for
a call about a test drive.

Quicker than usual, then, so far. You should count yourself lucky.
Complacent dealers! - Paul Robinson
I'm probably going to repeat the sort of post that regularly appears on the forum, but this was our recent experience:

My Wife was interested in a new car, something 'fun' and 'cute'. A short list of Beetle, Mini and Micra was decided upon. A big factor in the decision was how easy it would be to load with all the equipment she carries around every day for her work.

The people at the Mini dealership were quite helpful, we couldn't have one to try and fit all her luggage in, but we could hire one for the day or a weekend. The VW dealership were much less helpful, no we could'nt borrow one or hire one, they could manage a 10 minute test drive if we were in a position to sign an order straightaway!

The Nissan dealer was totally different, of course we could borrow a car for the day, infact we could borrow several different models if we liked. You can guess who got the order!
Complacent dealers! - Thommo
Well you knew I was going to chime in with a bike story.

Last time I bought a new machine it was down to a Suzuki or a Triumph. NONE of the Suzuki dealers I contacted had ANY demo machines for the model I was interested in. They all said the same thing, 'we're not having people joyride with our stock'! They honestly expected me to buy a bike untested! I wrote to the MD of Suzuki UK, got a reply from flunky X saying each dealers policy on demo bikes was up to it and nothing to do with Suzuki UK.

Contacted Jack Lilleys at Shepperton, full day demo on the Triumph in question. Severe negotiations on price, chequebook out and deal done (I actually bought the demo bike). Sent a copy of the invoice to the MD of Suzuki UK, no reply. Bike has been serviced by Jack Lilleys since new. One happy customer. Thats how its done.
Complacent dealers! - Robbie
I nearly bought an Accord Tourer from them
simply because of the service and right attitude. Trouble is it looks awful.

I think it's a lovely looking car.

When I was in France a few weeks ago it was admired by lots of French people. They were all very impressed with its looks. I never saw an Accord over there.