Creaking Passat Dash - Halmer
When I go around a bend the dash creaks and groans like mad.

The car is just over two years old. I've tried a few of the old tricks, for example, being liberal with the Pledge and turning the CD player up but it still persists.

At first I though it was related to the steering column but having finally located the cause (by driving around a bend and reaching forward and pressing the dashboard down where it meets the windscreen in front of me) I'm fairly sure that it is the dash.

Apart from taking it off is there anything that I can do? Can I claim this under warranty or will they think that I am mad??? Further, are they likely to cause more damage than good???!
Creaking Passat Dash - Malcolm_L
Been covered before - VW will refit the dash under warranty but you'll have to push them hard.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15538
Thanks

Seems a bit risky to me to spray WD 40 etc down it! Wonder if there are electricals etc. close to?
Creaking Passat Dash - Altea Ego
WD40 is not conductive and causes no harm to electrics.
I've sprayed some WD 40 down it and it has definitely helped although it stil creaks as I turn the wheel to go around a bend.

I noticed that part of the dash was not even 'clicked' into place around the key area. So much for VW quality eh.

Perhaps I should tip a litre of 10/40 down as well!

I don't think that I have ever owned a car that didn't rattle or knock in the passenger compartment. That includes new VWs and Fiats.

Never been able to afford a really expensive car tho'. I recall my mate's old 5 series which had 100,000 miles on the clock and was 10 years old, C Reg at the time. Unbelievably quite with no apparent rattles internally whenever I went in it.
Quite quiet of course!
Creaking Passat Dash - midlifecrisis
I got rid of my Passat at 18 months old because I just couldn't stand the creaking and groaning from the dash and trim. Of course, the persistent electrical faults and snotty dealer didn't help.
Creaking Passat Dash - wonderwheels
I have a 2001 1.9TDI (130) Passat. I went to 1 dealer 6 times because of the dash and gave up.Went to another dealer and the creaking stopped a bit longer but then eventually came back. I tried ANOTHER dealer and told them about the timescale of my problem and they replaced the dash under Warranty.It is a lot better, but occasionally returns in hot weather.Quick spray of WD40 solves this (that's what the dealers were doing).My mate owns a 2002 Passat 1.9TDi and also got a new dash under warranty from the same dealer, but his creaking is worse than ever.He is actually contemplating getting rid of the car as he hates it so much. Keep persevering and don't accept anything less than a new dash. It's their problem and they should resolve it.Get it resolved before the Warranty expires!!!
Naff

Just as bad when I went out in it today.

Where do you spray the WD 40?
Creaking Passat Dash - Cliff Pope
Where do you spray the WD 40?

You could try pointing it at the dealer.
Lol!!
Creaking Passat Dash - Aprilia
The VW and Audi A4 dash simply has inadequate fixings/mountings so they start to sag and creak. I think a new dash would go the same way after a period of time.

A friend had an A4 with a dash that was driving him mad so we took it off and put non-setting body putty (rather like Bluetac) a strategic points around its edges. Its not creaked since.

Take care if you do this job though; there are loads of fixings and bits of fragile plastic. Also be prepared for the immobiliser to play up, etc., when you reconnect the battery.
I hope that it will vanish along with the warner weather.

It was driving me mad coming home from work tonight.

Is it fixed permanenently or does it just rest an a number of notches? What is it that is creaking exactly and can I get lubricant on it somehow without taking the dash off?
Creaking Passat Dash - Aprilia
It is bolted and screwed to the dash supports at a number of points. They seem to creak where the dash edges bear against the metalwork. Presumably they are OK when brand new, but when they start to sag a bit the pastic rests against the metal and creaks everytime the body flexes.

I would think silicone spray might be better than WD40 - or even silicone spray grease, if you can get any.

I agree it can be anoying. My friend was on the verge of P/Xing his A4 until we fixed it.
Creaking Passat Dash - andymc {P}
I had a similar problem with my Leon, although not as bad as what I've read here. Silicone spray at all fixing points sorted it out over a year ago and it has never creaked since, after nearly 20k miles. FOC under warranty, work done at my suggestion following advice gratefully received here.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmmm, doughnuts
I have sprayed WD 40 and \'Pledge\' along the bit where the screen meets the dash to no avail.

The rake on the windscreen is so severe that it is almost imposible to get your head in (without getting it stuck!) in order to see and identify the fixing points.

I just ended up with a bit of a mess to be honest (and it still creaks).
I'll pick up some silicon spray from Halfords on my way home from work tonight and give it a go.
Used nearly half a £5 tin of silicon spray tonight but it's still as bad. I can't see where I'm supposed to direct it to be honest.

I've damped it by ramming an old black sock (from Next) in between the windscreen and the dash. I always wanted to individualise my VW! Maybe VW should include one of these with the spare wheel.
Creaking Passat Dash - Adam {P}
Woah woah woah - I can see your problem right there. You used a NEXT Sock? Their compatibility with VW's aren't the best. I find a Burtons '99 or later sock works much better.
Creaking Passat Dash - P 2501
Try some back to black (simoniz) very good at stopping plastic parts creaking/rubbing.

The problem is that I can't see the actual fixing points or work out how to get WD 40, silicone or whatever on to them, no matter how much I tip down the back of the dash!!
Creaking Passat Dash - andymc {P}
When I had it done, the dealer told me that they loosened the dash, sprayed all around the fixing points and at any point where one part of the dash met another (and could therefore rub against it to produce the creaking noise), then tightened it all again - I don't know if they had to wait until the spray was dry to tighten.
Wish I could be more helpful, but I don't know where the fixing points are on a Passat (or anything else, for that matter!)
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmmm, doughnuts
Creaking Passat Dash - wonderwheels
If the car is still under warranty, pursue until it is resolved.Mark my words, you will always listen for "it" until it is resolved, no matter how loud your music is or how much spray you put down.The spray no matter how good will eventually dry out and the creaking will return. A new dash will definitely help and if nothing else will put your mind at ease until you sell it!! It is a common problem and there doesn't appear to be a difinite plan of action.As I said me and my mate both got new dashes in the space of 2 months as the Dealer couldn't stop the creaking. Mine is now fine but my mates is gradually getting worse.It is actually due to go back in next week.
Creaking Passat Dash - Malcolm_L
Halmer,
what is your VW dealers stance on this?
Creaking Passat Dash - BB
Anti squeak tape is used by most manufacturers wherever there could be a touch condition. (Where two parts touch, there can be a squeak.)

Most dashboards sag. Over time they will sag more and more. This may mean that the squeak will start to get better, or it may mean that it will get much worse!

I would hassle VW until they fix the problem. After all, you paid a lot of money for a car that is annoying you. If you wnated an annoying car, you would have bought a Land Rover ;)
I haven't mentioned it to the dealer MalcolmL
Creaking Passat Dash - john41
I had the same problem with my Volvo 850 after a new windscreen was fitted. The dealer wedged some wiper-blade rubber deep between the dash and the bottom of the screen which sorted out the problem.