Nissan Micra timing retards - MicraWoes
My 1998 Nissan Micra, 1.0 engine, automatic, retards timing for about 20 degrees. It has been checked at a Nissan dealer, and two independent garages. The last one discovered that the ecu puts out spike waveforms when it is running normally. It then squares off the spikes for four waves and the timing retards. Everything checks out. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob
Nissan Micra timing retards - Aprilia
Don't fully understand your fault description - how is the retard felt - it is a brief hesitancy? If so I would suspect the MAF or the voltage feed to the MAF.
If the garage monitors the injector pulses they might notice that every now and again there are a few shorter duration pulses - this is caused by drop out of the MAF signal.
Nissan Micra timing retards - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Which component is being monitored? more info on the symptoms please.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Nissan Micra timing retards - Sooty Tailpipes
Does it have a knock sensor?
Nissan Micra timing retards - Aprilia
No, don't think these Micras do.
Sorry, I should have given more info. Here is what the mechanic wrote:

"Supply Voltage OK
"All incoming reference signals OK
"All non switched earths OK
"Affected Signals:
Injector duration (Lengthens)
Oxygen sensor heather switched earth. (Switches Off)
Idle Air Signal.
Ignition Amp Firing Signal. Special Note: Idles as normal then 4 isolated amp signal pips change to distinct square wave as fault accurs retarding timing for two crank revolutions-frequency remains constant. (Always 4 Pip signals affected at any time when fault occurs. Check Engine light blinks rapidly once for duration of fault."

The Auto Transmission ECU or the Immobiliser has no influence.

They recommended Testing or replacing the ECU. I took the car to the local Nissan dealer and they replaced the ECU with a new one, which made no difference, and put the old one back.

The printout of the waveform shows the four square waves.

The retard is felt as a hesitency and I am lucky to be able to drive the car above 20 MPH. It does this more frequently as the car warms up.

I don't know if the MAF or feed to the MAF was checked. I'll check with the garage that worked on it.

Thanks for you input. I appreciate it.

Bob (MicraWoes)
Nissan Micra timing retards - andyh2004uk
MAF/Throttle Bodies are extremely common on these...

i work for a japanese section in a motorfactor and we have sold a few... there are 4 (that i know of) different types... the very late ones dont seem to be availible unless OE.. but the earlier ones are availible.. yours is kinda near the latest change date...(think i had one the other day which its build date was about 8/98 and it wasnt one we could do... some companies can recondition them.. but the 2 we have sent for recon have both failed since so not sure if the recon is a good option....

Nissan Micra timing retards - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Almost certainly a MAF problem. I usually test these on the run with a 4 channel oscilloscope hooked onto MAF output,Throttle position,Coolant temp and ignition primary. Observing the output from the MAF sensor when the problem arises the output goes to virtually Zero with a chronic loss of power and the ignition trace goes to pot.
Try www.bba-reman.co.uk. They will send a test/hire unit for trial. If it fixes you buy, if not they just charge a hire fee.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
I put the original throttle body back on the car. It drives better for about 15 minutes. Doesn't lose power quite as often. I sent for a unit fron bba-reman. Shoud be here tomorrow. I'll let everybody know what happens.

Thanks.

Bob
Got my rebuilt throttle body this afternoon and fitted it. It made no difference. The problem is still there. I'm going to get the original distributor tomorrow an fit it.

Got any more ideas that might work?

Bob
The throttle body has been replaced with one from a scrapped Nissan Micra. The MAF has been checked with both engine running, and engine off, igniton on. It checks out both ways. That is the problem, everything checks out OK except for the timing retarding for the two crank revolutions.

Appreciate you taking time to respond.

Bob
Nissan Micra timing retards - Civic8
Dont know the car but what about crank sensor that tells ecu when to send spark.if faulty timing will be out.just a thought?