Extended Service Intervals - Andy P
With the current trend towards long service intervals, I see many people extolling the virtues of changing oil and filter at 6000 miles. What is this figure based on? Are modern engine oils only good for 6000 miles, after which they deteriorate rapidly, or is it a throwback to the dark ages?

Andy
Extended Service Intervals - NARU
That'll get some debate!

There are those who think that oil technology has improved to the point where its safe to use extended intervals (after all, we take lots of other progress for granted, so why not oil).

Then there will be those who think that the car makers and pandering to the desires of fleet managers for as few services as possible, and are stretching things a bit too far.

Both sides passionately believe their point. But rather than open it all up again, if you do a search you'll find it was debated two or three months ago!
Extended Service Intervals - Vin {P}
Yes, it might well be a throwback to the dark ages......however, at around 1/20th of the cost per mile of the fuel I so merrily pour into my tank, I see it as a pretty cheap insurance. Double the service intervals and it would only be around 1/40th of the cost of my fuel. Not worth the saving.

I've driven 70,000 miles in mine, I change every 5,000, so I'm looking at a total bill of around £420 for oil changes, £210 more than if I changed every 10,000 miles. Not a great deal compared to depreciation of probably about £6,000 in that time.

Apologies if the maths don't work, but I'm doing this in my head after a VERY long day.

(All in my opinion, of course)

V
Extended Service Intervals - barney100
It depends on how you view your car:if it is keep it for a couple of years then change it then 10,000 miles will not be a gamble. If like me you buy a car to keep for 5 or more years then 5,000 mile oil changes are a good insurance.
Extended Service Intervals - daryld
I change diesel oil every 5K, and the filter every 10K. I use Shell diesel fuel every tankful since new.

Have never had to use an injector cleaner or additives.

Car has done over 120,000 miles @700 miles a week. Every week.

Car uses no oil, doesn't smoke and returns in excess of the manufacturer's MPG, and purrs like at cat at motorway speeds.

Engine is never thrashed or bashed. Still on fully legal original tyres front and back.

I am expecting an engine life of at least 240,000 miles, and clutch life of 170,000 miles.

Hope that helps.
Extended Service Intervals - Dude - {P}
daryld - that is indeed an impressive case you have made for frequent oil changes, - just out of interest what make of car is this that is still running legal tyres at 120k???
Extended Service Intervals - Dalglish
-just out of interest what make of car is this that is still
running legal tyres at 120k???

and/or what brand tyres are they?

and/or what is the driving style and on where ?
Extended Service Intervals - RichardW
The old Peugeot / Citroen XUD engine was originally 5k miles, then 6k miles. The HDi is 10k miles - BUT the bottom end of the HDi (crank, big ends, main bearings) is identical to the old XUD engine. The changes for the longer interval are better oil (fully synthetic is specified) and a 'better' oil filter (oh, and a cleaner engine!). 6k changes are not going to do any harm that's for sure, and if you do them your self, not that expensive - but how many folk actually keep cars much past 100k miles?

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
120,000 on original tyres: A humble Seat Arosa 1.7SDi.

No blagging.

I drive the car gently, cruise at 60/65MPH, check pressures weekly. Have about 5 mm tread left at 'thinnest' point on front tyres; tyres rotated front/back every 40,000 miles.

And it has still got the original brake pads (10mm wear remaining, excl backing plate).

Wonderful little car. Not very powerful (60bhp), but the seats are very comfy, no backache, reliable. Does 78 MPG.

Everyone should drive one if they want to save a packet
..oh and the tyres: Firestone F-580.
Extended Service Intervals - SjB {P}
...I change diesel oil every 5K, and the filter every 10K. I use Shell diesel fuel every tankful since new. Have never had to use an injector cleaner or additives. Car has done over 120,000 miles @700 miles a week. Every week. Car uses no oil, doesn't smoke and returns in excess of the manufacturer's MPG, and purrs like at cat at motorway speeds. Engine is never thrashed or bashed. Still on fully legal original tyres front and back. I am expecting an engine life of at least 240,000 miles, and clutch life of 170,000 miles...

A friend's car has now covered 200,000 miles, is thrashed at every opportunity, and is usually serviced, grudgingly, past each scheduled interval.

It, too, uses no oil, doesn't smoke, and purrs on the motorway. Yes it does use a lot of fuel, though that's his right foot to blame! I'm of the opinion that it's short journeys and abuse when cold that kills engines, not lack of over cautious oil changes, and am quite prepared to take my own medicine with the new V70 we purchased last year, and intend to keep for many years!

Now, let's think for a minute about all those early oil changes at 5 or 6 litres a pop times x million people. Almost as frightening a thought to oil and other reserves as building and running cars for all those squillions of Chinese about to go motoring for the first time.

I wonder how long before used oil is recyled for reuse as a lubricant (not as a heating fuel) in great quantity? It was explained to me many years ago that the then GPO ran their large fleet on recyled lubricating oil because not only was it cheaper to buy in bulk, but the lower sulphur content helped engine life. Would love to know if this is really true.