Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - HF
Apparently in the case in question, the driver caused an accident but was treated with lenience by the courts because it could not be proved that he was actually *watching* the video that was playing on his in-cab television, and he claimed to be merely listening to the soundtrack.

How on earth could anyone prove this one way or the other?

Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - madf
Courts are being not leninet but stoopid imo. TV on and driving = watching it.

I think merely being on should mean watching: like having no TV licence but aTV says you watch it.. even if you claim you don't.

madf

Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - Mr Tickle
I may be wrong, but I think it is legal to have a TV set in a car if it cannot be seen from the driver's seat. If the same goes for lorries then the driver could claim he was listening and not watching.
Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - J Bonington Jagworth
Does that mean that drivers can't use sat-nav?

I'm not passing judgement, just wondering how the scale of what constitutes a distraction works. In my view, the kilowatt stereos favoured by Max Power types must be far more disorientating...
Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - HF
*If* the TV could not be seen from the driver's seat, fair enough. The picture I saw of this cab had the TV right adjacent to the driver's controls. Maybe this pic was accurate, maybe not.

I think the point about owning a TV indoors and paying a licence fee whether or not one watches it is relevant here. Not quite sure how, in law, but it seems to make sense.

As for Sat-Nav - I take your point JBJ, and on the few occasions I have witnessed it in action I have been in awe of how the driver can concentrate on the road without being drawn to the Sat-Nav because it truly is fascinating. (and if I had that woman keep telling me I'd done a wrong turn or something, I'm sure it would just make me jump and lose concentration - but I guess that's something people get used to).

I also agree that really loud music also distracts - as do many other things. I'm just not sure how some of these distractions can be proven and some cannot. I can see why, if I'm playing music full-blast and don't hear an ambulance coming up behind me, that is provable. But if I had a TV screen somewhere on the dashboard, surely only someone who had been watching my eye movements could know whether I was actually watching it or not? So no-one's ever actually going to get prosecuted for this sort of thing?
Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - trancer
Probably not the place to ask this, but do you still need to have a TV license even if your TV is not capable (no terrestrial antennae or Sky dish) of receiving BBC broadcasts?. I understand the license is to pay for the BBC, so I would imagine that if you cannot watch BBC (or any other "on-air" programming) then you do not have to pay for it. Or is the law not that common sense?.
Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - Stargazer {P}
Been asked in the IHAQ threads before. But basically if the TV set has a receiver circuit it is capable of receiving tv broadcasts, (doesnt matter about the aeriel arrangements) it is liable for a tv license.

A display unit for a dvd player for example does not have a receiver and is not liable, although you may have to proove this.

stargazer

Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - Adam {P}
Not sure but I think if the set has it's own power (batteries) then it is exempt from a licence or at least needs a lower one.

Like I said though, I'm not sure

Adam
Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - trancer
Thanks for the feedback, certainly not worth risking a fine. Interesting though (to pull this back to motoring) that vehicles used off-road do not need a tax disc even though they are capable of being used on the road.
Lorry Driver Banned for TV in Cab - David Horn
A TV in your car is covered under your home TV license.