Value Please - Adam {P}
Hello all,
I could do with your help. There is a slight (and I stress slight) chance that I may be getting a new car. (either Mondeo or Focus.) Not new new, but no earlier than T reg. Anyway. To cut a long story short, I need to sell my Fiesta should I get a new car and I want some thoughts as to roughly how much the value will be.

The car itself is a 1996 Mark 4 Fiesta Ghia 5dr 1.25 Zetec-S. It has around 84,000 miles on it and all the usuals you'd expect from a Ghia such as electric windows, temperature display, rev counter, c/l sunroof etc etc..

The car was an automatic but then a very good engineer friend converted it to manual and it's been fine. Also, apart from the documented minor problems with the car (a quick forum search will tell you!) it is mechanically sound. In fact, the only problem with it is that the rear offside doorhandle has snapped (which I will duly replace should I sell the car).

Any thoughts??

Many Thanks

Adam
Value Please - volvoman
Sorry can't help with the valuation - DavidHm's your man. You haven't specified which Mondeo or Focus you're considering but given your insurance premium problem aren't these cars (esp. the Mondeo) likely to cost you even more?
Value Please - Adam {P}
Here's the thing VM,
did a quote for a 1.8 Focus Saloon and frankly I think it's a mistake. £1200. I tried 3 others who are main insurers and get pretty much the same quote. My only explanation is that a Focus saloon isn't really seen as a boy racer's car. As for the mondeo, a 2.0 Zetec is bringing quotes of around 3 grand. I still can't believe the Focus. The one I'm looking at is in fantastic nick and I would prefer it over the Mondeos I'm looking at.

Sadly though, as mentioned, if I did get it I would need to get rid of the Fiesta so I need to know rough value. DavidHM, are you the man???

Cheers VM

Adam
Value Please - DavidHM
I'm not sure that I am the man - I'm not in the trade but I'm pretty good at spotting prices.

Don't think the engine was callled a Zetec S, just a Zetec? Also I'm having kittens at the phrase was an automatic but then a very good engineer friend converted it to manual and I hope that HPI and the registration document won't throw up any issues in this respect.

I would suggest an asking price of about £1,800 for this car, assuming a P-plate, with a couple of hundred off if it's in a colour of death (white or purple) and another hundred or so for metallic black or silver. I presume you'd be able to put a new MoT on it before sale?

I've not made too much of a deduction for the auto conversion, but £1,800 seems quite a keen price for the car and it might put some buyers off. Whether this is rational or not is beside the point, it is unfortunately quite likely.
Value Please - daveyjp
No idea on value, but Zetec-S relates to the engine and not the model. Depends on which country the car was sold in, some were classed as having a Zetec unit, some a Zetec-S even though its the same in both models (Focus is the same)!
Value Please - Chas{P}
IMO without seeing the car, which I'm sure is nice, I'd say £1500 tops on a private sale.

Just worked out a value of £1000 for my mothers 1.25LX 3Dr with 35K.

HTH

Charles
Value Please - DavidHM
Was this a private sale or a trade in?

I have to say that I thought that £1,800 is quite a lot for a car of this age, but then you look at what is actually on the AutoTrader website and Ghias seem to make all the money, probably because they're the only way to guarantee electric windows and power steering at this age of Fiesta.
Value Please - Adam {P}
Thanks very much guys for your replies. I should mention, the change in transmission if fully legit - i.e. DVLA have been notified and confirm and all that polava. To be honest, I'd be made up with 1500. I suppose it's good that it's a Ghia because like David said, it has the electric windows and so on. I know I'm trying to bump the price here but the car has some nice alloys on (multi spoke ones) which I'm hoping is going to get a price near 1500.

It's when you look around autotrader and realise that the car is high specced (in Fiesta terms) as base models don't have fuel lights or rev counters!

Thanks again

Value Please - Adam {P}
Should be added, it's in white!!! I know I know but I've looked after it (wax and so on) and when it's fully cleaned it does look the part coupled with the alloys. Just needs a lot of washing!
Value Please - Hawesy1982
If the alloys are non-standard and boy racer-ish, you might want to consider getting some normal steel ones from somewhere and then selling the alloys separately - there could be more money for you that way
Value Please - blank
If the alloys are non-standard and boy racer-ish, you might want
to consider getting some normal steel ones from somewhere and then
selling the alloys separately - there could be more money for
you that way

(and non-boy racers wouldn't be put off the car thinking it is a boyracer thrashed special)
Value Please - Adam {P}
I can assure you it't not been raced but the alloys are Ford ones apparently. (They have the caps on with the Ford badge so always a good sign). The car doesn't look boy racerish either - I'm worried I'm painting the wrong picture. It's not got tinted lights, lowered, or a sunstrip saying MAX POWER. The wheels just make it look a little nicer and because of their size, the handling is superb.

TO be honest, like I said earlier, if I get 1500, I'll be a happy man; that's the insurance for a new one plus a little left over shoudl I need it.

Thanks for your replies
Value Please - MichaelR
The Focus 2.0 is Group 8 insurance i beleive which accounts for the cheap quotes. My 2.0 Mondeo Ghia X is Group 12. Having said that, mine only costs £1100ish to insure, and thats on a policy taken out aged 19, with no NCB at the time.

Confused you can't beat £3000.
Value Please - AZ
Michael,are you sure your figure of £1100ish on a group 12 car,for a driver aged 19 is correct. If so I would be interested in which insurance company that is with. Thanks.