BMW - poor radio reception - Matt
Car in question is E30 BMW with decent Kenwood head unit, upgraded Kenwood speakers and separate amp for small sub in boot.

Have never relly used the radio much as I prefer to listen to CDs. The sound system is fantastic when playing a CD but have recently tried the radio and the quality was rubbish compared to the CD playback. I tried it for a long journey and wih the engine off too - it just sounds tinny and slightly crackly. The car has an automatic electric aerial and it is properly connected at the back of the radio.

My dad says something (condener/suppressor or something!) may have gone on the engine which is supposed to supress electrical noise from the engine - any ideas.

Tried using an iPod with a small FM transmitter - normally very effective/powerful transmitter -and the quality was still rubbish.

Many thanks for any help.

Matt
BMW - poor radio reception - Altea Ego
Well if its still crackly with the engine off and standing still there is nothing to suppress. so that leaves us with two options. Head or Aerial. Favourite is Aerial. Make sure the aerial makes good contact to the underneath of the body. If that fails change the aerial.
BMW - poor radio reception - Civic8
Electric Aerials usualy have an earth strap.the ground points ie bolts or screws usualy corrode so a clean up may cure it
Great - thanks for the help. Will check the ground point - any idea how to access it on this model?

Cheers
BMW - poor radio reception - BB
I have tried using many different FM transmitters in my car and have found that none of them work effectively.

The best way to use an Ipod in the car (if you have no tape deck to play an adaptor through) is using an FM modulator.
BB,

I have found the iTrip transmitter works excellently in other people's cars (just not mine!) - the quality seems to be vastly better than the tape adapter option I used before with my minidisc player.) Have you tried the ITrip yet - cheap on eBay! What is an FM modulator and what is the difference compared to an FM transmitter?

Cheers for the advice!