remould tyres - peter charnley
I read a couple of years ago about how good remoulds were. Honest John told me it wasn't his column. anyway I believed it. apparently the Germans import lots of them from British Manufacturer Colway of Durham and fit them to high performance cars. This is because they are not allowed to repair punctures. I wonder if anyone else had tried to buy them and met tyre fitters telling me such action was dangerous folly or they are not made in many sizes which is untrue. Charlie Browns don't even sell them. They were keen to sell me new tyres that were made in Argentina or Poland.
Re: remould tyres - Gwyn Parry
I'd rather fix a puncture than fit a remould........................But saying that I run a a (very) high performance motorcycle, If I had a a puncture in either tyre on that I would replace the tyre with a new one - some things are never, ever, compromised. My car is a different issue.....My Vectra has OE Good Year Tourings....I feel I might repair a puncture in that before replacing a tyre but I would certainly not fit a remould.
Re: remould tyres - John Slaughter
Peter

This has come up before on the site. There seems some concern about remoulds, especially on faster cars. It seemed generally agreed that they don't give the same life, and they often use superceded tread patterns.

I'd personally rather spend some time on the phone to get the best deal on some new tyres. After all remoulds have been used (or abused) once, the carcass materials are well through their fatigue life, and no non-destructive test can check this. Also can you guarantee that both tyres are identical carcasses?

I wouldn't use them. I don't even run my Morris Minor on them!
Regards

John
Re: remould tyres - Dave N
We alway like a bit of diversity on this site, so I feel compelled to admit that I reckon good remoulds are worth a look, namely Colway.

I've used numerous sets on a Scorpio, V6 Mondeo, Range Rover, and have always been pleased with them. To be honest, I've not really notived any difference, except the price. They are used extensively in Germany, just like we would use a recon starter or alternator. I don't think there is much price advantage on the smaller sizes, but can be further up the scale, especially when you get to V rated tyres, or 4X4 tyres. I believe the carcass is tested to BS standards with NDT methods, which can and do spot problems, they use this for aircraft wheels and tyres, that are also remoulded.

I brought some cheap goodyears last year, called classics I think, and to be honest they are appalling in terms of wear and grip. I think TopGear did some tests a while back and remoulds came out better than cheap new tyres. After all, since when has Slovenia been a world class producer?
Re: remould tyres - steve paterson
It used to be possible to buy top line new tyres that had a cosmetic imperfection. These tyres had the same spec as the full priced item but were priced between remoulds and new.
Some years ago I saw a Granada fitted with four brand new high performance tyres. They looked good, but each tyre had a small, crudely stamped warning on the sidewall. "max speed 50 kph"