Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - johnr
Hello, today i saw an Audi TT (nearly new conv) park near our home and then pick up a thug from half way up the road and drive away. The idiot driving was/appeared to be about 18?

Since around 1998 it has been mandatory to fit immobilisers in all new cars sold in the uk. Can these be easily be driven away without the real car keys?? Or is this for the big time boy\'s and those that steal car keys from the ownners homes/bags/pockets?

Thanks
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - Imagos
just 'cos he looks about 18 doesn't mean it's not his own car. You're being very harsh on the lad. Not all 18 year old are car thieves. I think there's a bit of jealousy here, and if you thought the car was stolen why didn't you phone the police? You must hate teenagers, they're not all thugs and idiots.
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - Damp Squib
In what way or manner was the person picked up 'a thug'?
In what way or manner was the driver 'an idiot'?
What do you look like in the mirror in the morning? I think we should be told!
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - Robin Reliant
The average car thief couldn't open a can of beans, let alone defeat an immobiliser. He relies on the carelessness of owners who who leave keys either in the ignition or where they can easily be found. To steal from cars his preffered method of entry is a brick through the window.

If a professional wants your car he can defeat any security device, but unless you own something special he is not going to be interested.
Thanks tim for the sensible response.

All the other's, just as i thought after posting my comments.

the car was outside our home for less than two minutes i think. i know only too well that one should not assume - therefore i did not phone the police. even if i got the chance they would of nor turned up in half a minute after my call. my post was a genuine query.

for the record as m i retuned from the shops this moringing - the same car was on the main road left crashed into a lamp post. i contacted the police - they said it was stolen and awaitng recovery. i saw the car about six p.m. The car was chased by the police about 4 a.m this morning and crashed - the criminals ran away. luckly, the police kept their distance and there was hardly any traffic on the roads and no innocent person was killed.

i will not post here again.
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - kithmo
Thanks tim for the sensible response.
All the other's, just as i thought after posting my comments.
the car was outside our home for less than two minutes
i think. i know only too well that one should not
assume - therefore i did not phone the police. even if
i got the chance they would of nor turned up in
half a minute after my call. my post was a genuine
query.
for the record as m i retuned from the shops this
moringing - the same car was on the main road left
crashed into a lamp post. i contacted the police - they
said it was stolen and awaitng recovery. i saw the car
about six p.m. The car was chased by the police
about 4 a.m this morning and crashed - the criminals ran
away. luckly, the police kept their distance and there was hardly
any traffic on the roads and no innocent person was killed.
i will not post here again.

Funny that, the car turned out to be stolen after all, and just after johnr got a slagging for being too suspicious.
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - mare
Hello, today i saw an Audi TT (nearly new conv) park
near our home and then pick up a thug from half
way up the road and drive away. The idiot driving was/appeared
to be about 18?
Since around 1998 it has been mandatory to fit immobilisers in
all new cars sold in the uk. Can these be easily
be driven away without the real car keys?? Or is this
for the big time boy\'s and those that steal car keys
from the ownners homes/bags/pockets?
Thanks

Soory, i have to take issue with this. Driver appears to be 18, so what? Maybe it's Mum or Dad's car! Maybe it belongs to the driver.

It's very prejudical to decide that the car is stolen - unless your original post is deliberately provocative. Let and let live why don't you!
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - smokie
There is nothing wrong with a bit of healthy suspicion. Too many people get away with too much these days (I mean "proper" crime) because of the fear or lethargy of other people. And, as the later post showed, the suspicion turned out to be correct.
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - trancer
" the suspicion turned out to be correct."

So you didn't find it suspiciously convienient that he happened to see the very same car the next morning, crashed, and that the police were willing to give out vital details of a crime that only happened hours ago to a stranger who contacts them and starts asking lots of questions...and the answers to those questions handily prove that his earlier judgement of parties involved was correct?.

If that isn't a face-saving fabrication, then it is pure luck and I hope he bought a lottery ticket or two tonight. 8-)
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - Civic8
I agree with what smokie said.its unlikely a teenager would be able to afford the insurance on one let alone buy one.
it had to have keys in to be driven off.I doubt the alarm/immobiliser could have been bypassed if assuming it is possible.
Tom, smokie and Mech1. Thank you for showing sense here and answering my query..

I also though about the insurance, it would cost thousands and not all companies are prepared to ins young people. the car was nearly new.

my question was sincere as i often see the older generation still put steering locks on their cars. i'm assuming right that from about 1998, immobilisers became mandatory.

i asked the question for my own concrens and was pretty certain that crooks stole keys or owners left them in cars.

the big boys only steal expensive cars.

i found the people here really helpful when i had a problem with my car. good to see that there are many still here.

Thanks
Imobilisers - Can the common car thief.. - Mark (RLBS)
what a silly thread. Locked.

Because I\'ve been asked why - your question may have been reasonable, but your terminology/assumptions were needlessly inflamatory.

And the thread was spending more time dicussing the wording of your question than it was discussing the question itself.

Finally, when it gets to people saying they\'re never comign here again, its all got too poinless for words.

Mark.