Free car data check - Andy B
Might interest some. The RAC website www.rac.co.uk offers a free vehicle data check service. You enter the car registration number, and it reveals the Manufacturer, Model, Body type, Colour, Fuel, Date manufactured, no of previous owners, and last owner date change. Its not detailed but it is free, after all.

Might be useful for checking how old your neighbours "cherished plated" Merc really is, or how many times that old dog you sold last year has been passed on.

Go into "My RAC", you have to complete a short registration process (you can make up the details) and away you go.
Free car data check - BobbyG
Andy, what is the exact part of the site you go into?
Free car data check - Adam {P}
MY RAC at the top left and then Register but I'd leave it for tonight. I just tried it and apparently they're doing routine maintenance.
--
No Signature at Imagos' Request
Free car data check - Phil P
Wow great find! Just been looking up all my old motors :o)
Free car data check - Andy B
Its not bad for free, is it?

The nostalgia of looking up my first cars was short lived as no record was found, which probably says more about my age than the the contents of the database.

Ah well, back to my trowel..
Free car data check - DavidHM
Actually I think the RAC database only contains vehicles which have current tax or SORN, or at the very least haven't been reported scrapped. Somehow my mother's 89 Fiesta is still on there, despite being made of rust (sold 98), but my father's 91 Audi (sold 94) is long gone. So it's not age, except as that relates to when the car was last on the road.
Free car data check - Dynamic Dave
Go into "My RAC", you have to complete a short registration
process (you can make up the details) and away you go.

Sorry to rake up an old post, but might be of use to someone. It would appear that you don't need to complete the short registration process anymore. You can now go straight in.
Free car data check - Waino
Mmmm, fascinating - it tells me that my car was manufactured 2 months after it was first registered and driven!
Free car data check - tyro
Mmmm, fascinating - it tells me that my car was manufactured
2 months after it was first registered and driven!

That's nothing. Our last car was apparently manufactured 9 months after we bought it.
Free car data check - mare
Dead good, can't find my old Chevette though...
Free car data check - mare
i did however find my old company Fiesta which i took up to 130,000 miles, according to the check it lasted changed hands in April. It had the old style Ford 5 digit milometer and must be approaching 200,000 miles by now, i wonder if the buyer realises that?
Free car data check - cheddar
Says my car was manu'd on the very day it was 1st reg'd though apparently my motocycle was manu'd 8 months after it was 1st reg'd! and wifes car 4 months after it was 1st reg'd.
Free car data check - SlidingPillar
Perhaps ok for recent cars, but my Morgan three wheeler was allegedly made in 1900, nine years before Mr Morgan made any cars, and had its last change of keeper in May 1930 (actually the date of first registration). Colour listed as blue, but Swansea were told of the colour change to green in July last year. (V5 is right, by the way).

I've also checked other old cars and found similar things in the past.

Free car data check - cheddar
Perhaps more accurate info here though does not list n.o of former owners/keepers:

www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp
Free car data check - SjB {P}
According to the DVLA link, my Honda Hornet motorcycle was manufactured in 1998 and first registered on 1st August 1998.

Correct on both counts; I assume that the DVLA hold the exact manufacture date, but don't display it.

According to the RAC link, the bike was impossibly manufactured on December 31st 1998 yet registered on 1st August 1998! Checking a previous car of mine, this is also shown by RAC as being manufactured on December 31st, when I know it wasn't. Either they use a default setting or the data is wrong.
Free car data check - Blue {P}
The DVLA site has shown that my first car is now on it's eighth keeper with the latest logbook being issued in October 2004, I parted ways with it in 2002.

The RAC thinks that it is still with the lad I sold it to in 2002 but I find that unlikely.

More horrifying is that my poor Fiesta Ghia is now on it's fourth keeper and was most recently transferred in May 2005, it never did anything to deserve that!

Blue
Free car data check - samorogers
does this include if its been nicked?
Free car data check - Rattle
All the conent on this thread are now very ouf of date.