306td...no ignition?? - r1ch1e
Hi, I blew the head gasket in my 306 td yesterday, this is the second time and I think this time was a result of damage from the last time. Anyway, I sourced a different cylinder head which I know to be excellent, not warped or cracked and a very trusted source. Anyway, I put the head on, swapped the injectors over neww gasket etc etc. However the car simply will not fire up now. I have cked the timing and it all seems fine as all 'locking' holes line up properly and the timing belt tension is right and even throughout. the stop solenoid in the pump has been checked and is fine, it appears to be getting fuel through as the glow plugs get damp if you crank the engine by hand. The glow plugs have been checked and are glowing as expected. There is no pressure coming back through the coolant and you can here it 'popping' through the exhaust as it is turned over. The fuel pump has not been disturbed so the pump internal timing should be fine. It is not an immobiliser problem.
Its cracking me up, can anybody shed any light on other possible causes?
306td...no ignition?? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
If you are 100% certain all the components line up try dragging it down the road. On several occasions when replacing the camshafts on GM diesels on a few occasions there was no way they would restart on the key but burst into life instantly with a tow. All I could put it down to was that it wasnt turning over fast enough on the key to fire it up.
HTH
Andrew.

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
306td...no ignition?? - dieselhead
All i can think of is the cam timing is half a turn out, being a 2:1 ratio between cam and crankshaft . Happened to me before on a vauxhall ohc which had me baffled for bit.
^ please explain more about this. The cam timing is right as far as I am aware as the pistons and valves are not meeting each other and the cam position was retained thoughout the swap. Also all locking holes line up bang on at TDC as they should.
However if your correct and its is possible the cam timing is out how would I find out for definate? also could the pump timing be out as driven off the cambelt and same size pulley as the cam so still a 2 : 1 ratio I would suspect, which makes no sense to me!!!
OK, a kind of success, the car now starts and nocompression going into coolant anymore and no smoke that shouldnt be there.
However when its revved there are sparks coming out the back of the engine, cant see exactly where from as its dark but looked fairly high up, about cam cover area. I'm hoping theres just something trapped inside cam cover thats catching, but any other thoughts on what this could be?
306td...no ignition?? - AndyT
Try slackening the injector pipes at the injector end, then crank the engine over to fully bleed the air up to this point. Then tighten when you see fuel coming out, and see if it starts.

Be careful not to stand too near while cranking.
306td...no ignition?? - AndyT
ooops, too late. :o<
306td...no ignition?? - DL
Any news on this? I'm kinda intrigued......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Yes, got the car started as above, next morning started again to check for sparks, and there was none, so I revved it a bit, nothing, revved harder and nothing again. So full on revved and held, whilst cowardly hiding behind the wing peeking over and heard a tinkle sound, behold the mangled washer from the I/C that had been stuck in the flywheel!!!!
Cars now running fine, no pressure builds, no overheating, no misfire's.