Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - martint123
Had this site pointed out to me www.draxfuel.com/

An 'allowance' ?? - I can't see Greedy Gordon allowing this one.

Current estimates are 69p per litre for unleaded petrol and 65p per litre for diesel

Anyone know any more??
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - Singer-G
I thought you could bring into the country, free of UK duty, any fuel in the fuel tank of a private vehicle. I can't see how this scheme fits in with that, when the fuel is being brought in for you, and you haven't even been abroad anyway.
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - malteser
If something looks too good to be true - then it is!
Roger in Spain
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - hxj
Smells a bit.

Not sure about private vehicles, but HM Customs & Excise state on their website:

How much fuel can a commercial vehicle bring into the UK without paying additional duty?

You may bring in the fuel, which is held in the 'standard tank' of the vehicle in question, provided that the fuel is not removed from the vehicle. The fuel may only be used in the vehicle in which it was imported. In addition, fuel may be brought into the UK in a 'special container' for on-board refrigeration systems on condition that this 'special container' is not connected to the engine or the fuel system of the vehicle. If you are in any way unsure, contact Customs National Advice Service for further advice.

Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - eurocourier
>You may bring in the fuel, which is held in the 'standard tank' of the vehicle in question, provided that the fuel is not removed from the vehicle.

You could be batting on a very sticky wicket if the vehicle has aftermarket tanks fitted and has been abroad regularly: the onus would be on the vehicle owner to demonstrate that he/she had NOT returned from each trip with tanks brimmed. Customs and Excise are keen on this and will enforce repayment of duty. It's beyond me why people try it on in the first place - all commercial freight and drivers are checked at least three times, sometimes more. X-ray machines that scan an entire unit and trailer in twenty seconds, carbon dioxide sensors, visual checks, dogs, random spot checks (and ANPR at all UK ports)!
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - J Bonington Jagworth
It seems a lot of trouble to go to (for them, I mean) if it's a complete scam. On the other hand, Drax was a James Bond villain...
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - malteser
On the other hand if one pays by credit card the protection offered by the Consumer Credit Act would surely apply?
Roger in Spain
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - Armitage Shanks{P}
It costs nothing to contact them and find out more. I don't want to lose any money but I'd rather give it someone making an honest living than to our Gordon! We shall see if their living is honest and legal, as things develop.
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - smokie
but if you didn't pay it in fuel duty, he'd get it from you somewhere else. He has a budget, ya know :-)
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - Cardew
If they have found a loophole it will be closed PDQ.

If you put in money to be in credit - even with Visa - and they go bust how much money do you think you will get back?
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - Civic8
Can`t answer legal side.what was said on the site was distribution would be according to required amount in pockets around country or expected amounts.Draz at the momment will not specify the availability untill they know themselves what the requirement will be.what has been said is upfront payment is wanted to make it work or words to that effect.correct me if wrong.I will carry on buying from tesco`s.fraid I dont trust em but many will ie if possible to do it before why hasn`t it been done?
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - Gareth Attrill
It's a scam. This was posted (by the person running it) on a newsgroup last year. We pointed out various errors in calculations and the fact that no company reg. no. was listed and it was fixed but nothing has changed.

I did a bit of research and concluded that it was a fuel card MLM scheme in the making. I can't remember how it works, but I think it's the usual "save a penny for each person you introduce and get 20% of their comission" etc. To get the whole amount you would probably have to be in the first level and have everybody on the planet on the scheme.

Gareth
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - SimonJ
The website does list a company reg number - and the company is listed on the companies house website (albeit recently registered)

Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - SimonJ
Anyone seen the Drax Fuel Website www.draxfuel.com

They claim that there \"system\" will allow savings on the cost of fuel, however as far as I can see it is in breach of C&E regs which states that fuel can only be imported in a vehicles standard tank and not decanted to another vehicle.

Is this really a scam company - or just a misguided one? or am I missing something?

Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - No Do$h
They could have picked a better name. Wasn't Drax a Bond villain?
Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - Nsar
Hugo Drax, Moonraker, nice line in taupe Nehru suits
Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - SimonJ
That crossed my mind aswell, but there is the Drax Power Station - so perhaps drax can also mean something else?

Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - Wee Willie Winkie
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22424

Discussed as above.....

I have registered my e-mail with them, out of curiosity more than anything.

DB
Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - No Do$h
Thanks DB. As you can see, I've moved it now.

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - Mapmaker
Tee hee! But the Germans regularly go over the border into Poland to fill up where it is cheaper, so this arbitrage is possible in Europe.
Cheap Fuel (draxfuel.com) - trancer
While on the M6 northbound yesterday I saw a billboard (are they called that over here?) advertising cheap diesel at 65p/litre. There was a website, and I tried commiting it to memory, but failed. It certainly wasn't Drax as I would have remembered that from this thread, and I have tried googling for it but with no success. I don't think it was for red farm diesel as that is even cheaper (I think) but I was curious if it was another "fuel credit" type Drax deal. The billboard struck me as something done on the cheap, which probably says nothing about the company or service offered...it just stuck in my mind.

Has anyone seen or heard of what I am talking about.
Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - peteH
Got an "update" from Drax fuel a couple of days ago (which I will post below)

Surprise Surprise! After C&E clarified the position "certain parts of our business processes would not meet with current legislation" they continue to say "We still believe that we can achieve this although not to the extent of using our import model but we will still be able to reduce the cost of road fuel significantly for customers, so, work has started on 'Plan B' as we call it, which will provide customers with a low purchase price on petrol and diesel together with some other fantastic benefits to customers"

I am sure all of us here would not have tried to advertise a scheme based on a model that we all know was illegal from the beginning. The C&E website made it clear that the only fuel that could be imported was in the standard tank of the vehicle.

I am sure that the new scheme with either be a MLM pyramid scheme - or maybe some kind of fuel card offering 1p/ltr off!

DRAX Fuel Update

Firstly, we would like to apologize for the infrequent updates. This was largely due to waiting for Customs and Excise to get back to us.

We have been working hard with Customs and Excise to clarify our position with regards to our business which has not been easy. Despite our efforts and the governments disregard for European Law it has transpired that certain parts of our business processes would not meet with current legislation.

This is certainly not good news for us and our potential customers but we do not give up that easily. It is, and has always been our goal to reduce the cost of fuel to the general public and this has not changed. We still believe that we can achieve this although not to the extent of using our import model but we will still be able to reduce the cost of road fuel significantly for customers.

So, work has started on 'Plan B' as we call it, which will provide customers with a low purchase price on petrol and diesel together with some other fantastic benefits to customers.

We aim to change the way people buy fuel and make the process easy, more streamlined and above all more cost effective.

Shortly you will see some changes to our website which will be updated and redesigned in line with our new process. Please do keep your eye on the website for news and updates. You may find a holding page displayed for a short time so please be patient.

Once again, we regret that we are unable to bring to you cheaper fuel through our import business model, but we are excited about our new business model that will still bring you cheaper fuel and other great benefits.

Cheap fuel - a con or not?? - martint123
And the web site has gone to a 'holding' page....