Saab 9.3 TiD 2001 Hesitant acceleration - Anglesey Ian
Hi all,

I've checked in BR site search and cannot find a problem the same as I am experiencing. Can anyone please help ?

As above...2197cc turbo diesel with 33,000 miles and maindealer serviced. Most of the time driven considerately and carefully.

The problem is uneven/jerky acceleration when pulling away from about 2 to 2.5k revs onwards. Doesn't appear to be as noticable when the engine is cold but varies from slight hesitancy to almost the effect of pumping the accelerator pedal. The road speed still increases, albeit unevenly.

On the last 30k service, this was mentioned to service manager who couldn't find anything wrong (sir)with the car but hoped that the service might have corrected it anyway.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause.

In anticiptaion,

AI
Saab 9.3 TiD 2001 Hesitant acceleration - Dynamic Dave
I've checked in BR site search....

I can't help with your problem, but just to let you know that the site search won't locate backroom entries. You need to use the Forum Search (right under where you log in/out).

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=20...3

Saab 9.3 TiD 2001 Hesitant acceleration - Altea Ego
Well funny you should say that. Just been driving a friends 3.0 SAAB tid thats done 38000 careful miles, regularly serviced. I know this car from new, so I instantly recognised it was not quite as smooth, and livley as it once was

So Italian tune up was called for. I got it nice and warm, and then went for a blast taking it up to the 5000 revlimit in 1st, 2nd. It inproved a bit. Then did it again, and the when it hit 5000 in second the next time a huge cloud of soot errutpted from the exhaust pipe, and BINGO. Car was back to where it was. Owner was amazed.

Your careful driving has sooted it up. It needs to be cleaned out as above. Some Fortes diesel plus added to a tank or two will help as well.
Saab 9.3 TiD 2001 Hesitant acceleration - Armitage Shanks{P}
See my post of last month re possible turbo failure; I don't think this is your problem but there was a lot of very helpful comment from BR contributers. HJ reccomends Miller's Diesel plus BTW.
If you think motoring is expensive don't try divorce!
I am grateful for your responses:

1 DD - thank you for your advice and I hold my head low in humility at not knowing how to search correctly

2 RF again thanks: an italian tune up it is then. A good blast down the N Wales A55 expressway in a suitable gear having dosed the Saab might remedy the fault. I'll keep you updated and will try to keep on the right side of the notorious police speed checks on the way.

3 Mr Shanks: yes I read the saga about your partner's car with great interest, her car being the identical model to mine. I agree that it is probably not the same fault but, as usual, there was some good sympathetic and expert advice which was provided in response. Just one question, could you please advise what BTW is, or am I being stupid ?

Regards,

AI
Oh and BTW. The 3.0 Tid I drove is nearly two years old. At its last service it had an Engine management software upgrade. Now not saying this is applicable to your car, but worth a question down at the SAAB dealer?
BTW - By The Way
RF

Once again, thanks !

BTW...of course...plainly obvious now!

Ian
Hi all,

Not a device to elevate this topic to the top of the list, but feedback further to the advice given.

Saab man he say no software update relevant to my model year. (Incidentally no ECU/computer fault code revealed itself either).

Duly applied injector cleaner/engine decongestant (unfortunately couldn't find Millers in North Wales as recommended) and took the car for an extended italian tune up with lashings of red line driving.

No gratifying plumes of sooty black smoke in the rear view mirror however, but eurika !!! problem solved and cured.

I hope that this feedback assists others.

Grateful thanks,

AI