Focus or Astra? - NickS
That time has come again where it s time to replace the motor. Ive currently got a 97 R Astra 1,7 TDS F-type. Ive narrowed the choices down to a G-Type astra 1.6 or a Focus zetec 1.6, both about V/X reg. Any hints tips or general reccomendaations anyone can give me? cheers guys, Nick
Focus or Astra? - Blue {P}
Focus everytime, more fun to look at and drive, and better value, IMO`anyway.

Blue
Focus or Astra? - DavidHM
Depends on the price and condition of the individual cars. I wouldn't rule one in or out; the Focus is the better car, but it's also appropriately more expensive, so you pays your money and takes your choice.
Focus or Astra? - SjB {P}
Neither are bad cars - though I too prefer the Focus both to look at and to drive - but also bear in mind where it will be serviced (if you don't do it yourself) and where any major repairs beyond your abilities will be conducted.

My local Ford dealer has a less than glowing reputation, whereas the small, family run Vauxhall dealer that I used for many years prior to buying my V70, is ace. This was a crucial clincher between both my Vectra SRi V6 Estate and the GSi Estate that followed it, over a Mondeo ST200 on each occasion.

Focus or Astra? - JamZ
if you go for the astra, I am sure I remember reading that you should avoid the 1.6 8 valve versions, but I can't remember why...

anyone know?
Focus or Astra? - robZilla
No experience of the Focus but I once hired an Astra for five weeks and the only thing I can say is that I found the seats to be incredibly soft (back-achingly so). It was a brand new one too. Getting back in the Vectra was like sitting on a wooden board, which was nice.
Focus or Astra? - OldPeculiar
Check HJ's car by car breakdown - he goes for the Focus (maybe the 1.8 Astra problem is in there as well?)

I went for the Focus as well, I've been very happy with it.
Focus or Astra? - Dynamic Dave
This might sound bias as I have had various Vauxhalls for some 18 years now, but having driven both the Astra and the Focus, I much prefer the Astra.

One of my reasons here:- www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=19...2

Focus or Astra? - spinner
I prefer the Astra too, on the motorway at least.
It is dull in comparison to look at though.
It might also be more reliable as well, and cheaper, but don't quote me on that.
Focus or Astra? - corblimeyguvnar
Definitely Focus, had a Zetec for 3 years, v reliable, fun, good quality, comfortable.
Forget the fact you'll pay a tad more than an Astra, excellent motor (no I dont work for Ford!).
Cheers
--
Drink Lager Talk Piffle !
Focus or Astra? - kithmo
I owned a 2001 X-reg astra 1.6 16v lx for about 12 months and it was nippy, economical and comfortable. However the engine was very jerky, almost impossible to drive smoothly at low speed, making me want to thrash it everywhere. The handling, whilst very competent at low speed, the car always felt as if it was floating or wandering a bit high at speeds. It also developed a gearbox oil leak, a rear crank oil leak and a clutch slave cylinder leak at around 13,000 miles. Iwas disappointed with the car and being the first Vauxhall I had ever owned, it will probably be the last. SWMBO has a 2002 Focus 1.8 Tddi cl (bottom of the range trim) and it is a much better car, it runs very smooth, it is economical, very comfortable and it handles superbly at any speed. The Focus for me every time.
Focus or Astra? - Imagos
The Focus has an imaginative dash design with easy to read dials in particular the speedo which has increments of 10 20 30 40 etc for speed not the irritating 20 40 60 legend on the Astra. The rest of the Astra facia is er... dated and dull.
Focus or Astra? - Dude - {P}
I have`nt driven the Astra but hired a 1.6 Focus recently to tour 1400 miles in Western Scotland and was very pleasantly surprised at its superb handling and ability to maintain exceptionally high average speeds on twisty roads. As someone who suffers quite severe back problems, the seats were also very comfortable after a 250 mile journey and I could certainly recommend the Focus without hesitation.
Focus or Astra? - OldPeculiar
The general perception in the market place is that the Focus is a better car so you should find that it's value doesn't fall as fast as the Astras (if this is a concern for you)
Focus or Astra? - Singer-G
It depends on your use of it. If its mainly motorway I'd go for the Astra. On twisty B roads it has to be the Focus. Round town, use a bike.
Focus or Astra? - Zenta
Wife has G type Astra 1.6 8v , only 30mpg...I'd go for the 16v.
Focus or Astra? - peterb
"I have`nt driven the Astra but hired a 1.6 Focus recently to tour 1400 miles in Western Scotland and was very pleasantly surprised at its superb handling and ability to maintain exceptionally high average speeds on twisty roads. As someone who suffers quite severe back problems, the seats were also very comfortable after a 250 mile journey and I could certainly recommend the Focus without hesitation."

Substitute "Tuscany" for "Western Scotland" and you have my experience last summer.
Focus or Astra? - superannuated rocker
The Focus is the better overall package but the Astra probably has the better engine (depending which one you buy of course) I have a 52 reg 1.8 Ghia and it is comparatively gutless and quite thirsty compared to the 2.0Vectra SRI which I had previously.