106 rear brakes - mlatif
Had anyone come across the rear wheel locking up on a 1994 106 XT petrol. ( not both wheels, just the passenger side rear wheel). Some issue with the brake cable or shoes...I am wondering if the shoe(s) is worn out and is out of place or something or that the insides could just need lubricating.... What I need to know is how to take the dam drum off !!!! is there an adjustment mechnism that will release the tension on the shoes to allow me to take the drum off , and if so where is it ? I was also wondering if it could be one of the brake cables causing it ( been told that there are 2 brake cables for these cars ). any advice would be highly appreciated .... The other Wheel is fine......
106 rear brakes - DL
I reckon there's a high chance one of your brake shoe friction linings has come loose, locking the wheel.

To remove the drum, slacken the handbrake cables right off, that should help. We have a large puller to 'help' some drums off......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
106 rear brakes - 659FBE
The usual problem with the Bendix drum brakes on the 106 is that the handbrake lever (brake end) pivot seizes in the trailing shoe web. This causes all kinds of grief, and can result in the lining breaking away from the shoe. Lubricate pivot with high temperature copper based grease.

Releasing the auto-adjust is not very easy, although there is a note in the Haynes book, but if you slacken the handbrake cables off well, the drum usually comes off with a bit of gentle soft hammering (rotate drum as you do it). Use only OE shoes (GSF are cheap), some pattern ones have soft ratchet teeth. GSF also stock the stub axle nuts and grease caps.

106 rear brakes - paulc924
A friend of mine has a 106 and we needed to get the drums off to do some work. No chance-they hadn't been off for years. Had to cut through them with a 9 inch angle grinder and once the shoe work was done we had to put new drums on. A lesson for him in that he needing to occaisionaly remove them, clean out any dust, and gently grind the ridge off the drum. That was a year ago and I know he hasn't yet! I'm sure you won't have the same problem that we did. Cheers.
106 rear brakes - DL
Yep..a 9" grinder and lump hammer have been used by my own fair hands in extreme cases.......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
106 rear brakes - Civic8
fraid I have never on any car had to resort to that method.brake drums even when held by brake shoe will always shift if not by usual screwdriver ie graduall side to side pull on drum against backplate.usually give way on a puller.I have never broke a drum yet.brake shoes may have been tarnished because of that but never have yet broken a drum.usual reason for the shoe getting stuck is the lip on brake drum.it can be overcome without destroying drum.may require new shoes afterwards though but will be cheaper than drums.could be wrong but I have not had to do it?
106 rear brakes - DL
The one in question that had to be cut off came to be because the hub bearing had spun on the shaft, seizing on there.

Some Peugeot drums can be a 'mare to remove, even with a fully backed-off handbrake.

Next time we have a 'tight one' you are most welcome to assist!
--