Vectra rear suspension. Differing info. - Dynamic Dave
I\'ve read on here that the rear suspension on the Vectra (mine\'s a year 2000 - X reg) is adjustable. My nearside tyre on the rear wore on the outer edge, suggesting either the tracking is toeing out or the camber angle is incorrect.

Anyway, I\'ve had new tyres fitted to the front and the old ones donated to the rears to replace the worn ones. I have noticed the same thing starting to happen to the rear tyre again.

Two tyre garages have told me that the rear suspension is non adjustable.

No accident damage (that I\'m aware of) and has only recently started happening.

Any ideas - suggestions??

Vectra rear suspension. Differing info. - Wales Forester
Slow down on those roundabouts and right hand bends DD!

Can't help you really, I'm sure someone with the required knowledge will be along shortly.

PP
Vectra rear suspension. Differing info. - John S
DD

I could be wrong, but I believe the suspension is what might be termed 'adjustable'. My Vectra preferentially wore the inside edges of the rear tyres. A common problem, and I was told by ATS that it was correctable by shimming the suspension tie rods etc. So, not a simple job like adjusting toe in, and one assumes something done on the production line. On my car the problem wasn't bad enough to get it done, as the rears lasted 50 k anyway, so I can't confirm this.

Regards

John S
Vectra rear suspension. Differing info. - Mondaywoe
I don't know if this is much help, because I have no experience of Vauxhalls, but I imagine that, like most cars, the back suspension is (officially) non-adjustable. That's not to say, of course that something like shimming the bushes can't be carried out. You would, however, have to do quite a bit of trial and error to get the desired effect and it would take several thousands of miles to check on each 'adjustment'. More seriously, of course, you run the risk of making the car unsafe if you overdo things.

I say this because my C5 went through back tyres in 22,000 miles and Citroen replaced the entire back 'axle' assembly (the cross tube, strictly speaking because they don't have 'axles' as such.)- under warranty.

Before doing so, however, the dealer had to carry out some very detailed measurements on the existing geometry. To cut a long story short, though, it seems the modification has worked well - I'm about another 8000 miles onto the new tyres with no obvious wear of any kind.

Graeme
Vectra rear suspension. Differing info. - Civic8
Fraid I dont know the car but if it has trailing arms some have adjustable lateral links controlling rear tracking.usually just needs bolt undoing.sorry if thats no use?
Vectra rear suspension. Update - Dynamic Dave

Well I've been crawling under the car today and can't find any mechanism to adjust the suspension linkage arms.

Whilst the car was jacked up (and on axle stands) I could not find any movement in any of the linkages. I used the trolley jack handle as a lever to prod and try to deflect the arms. Solid as a rock.

Lowered the car back on terra firma, and rocked the car from side to side. Distinctive knocking coming from the rear nearside (the side with the wearing tyre) Got someone else to rock the car while I felt the linkages. It appears that the bush that holds the suspension arm to the chassis has a small amount of play in it.

Car has only done 40,000 miles.

To confirm my diagnosis I took a quick trip down to the local Vauxhall garage and did the same to 3 Vectra's for sale on the forecourt. The X reg one had a similar knock to mine, although not as severe; the W reg and 51 reg ones had no movement at all. Interestingly the X reg one had new tyres fitted. Perhaps to mask a worn tyre caused by a faulty bush maybe??

Vectra rear suspension. Update - Civic8
Sounds like you have found the prob DD