Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - pmh
I am well aware that these have a repuation for seizing, but can anyone tell me what seizes?

I have the nearside one sat on the bench and the piston is moving freely, but the handbrake actuator appears tightly seized in the body of the caliper. How much free movement is to be expected, is it affected by the position of the piston?

Any tips on how to free up? Is this the normal terminal failure mode?

Thanks,in anticipation! I hope for an answer while I eat my lunch!

Any other advice?

pmh (was peter)
Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - LeePower
Hi

I had the same problem on the back of my 405, I think these are the same caliper too, I tried to free it up but it only lasted a week, stick a new one on is best cure.
Try these people below, they have branches all over uk & are a lot cheaper then VW

www.gsfcarparts.com
A little progress!

Handbrake shaft in caliper now moves but is still too tight for it to return fully to the stop (off) position under the return spring effort. 'Working it' has helped but it needs still more!

The return springs are difficult to refit without a third hand!

I am still interested to know if this is typical failure mode!

pmh (was peter)
Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - Ian D
The handbrake operating lever can seize (should move about 10 to 20 degrees), plus the handbrake should be self adjusting - no chance! Even replacement ones (exchange) seem to fail after 1 to 2 years
Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - Ben {P}
You can fit the mk.3 calipers in their place. They last a bit longer.
Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - steveo30
whip out the 10mm bolt near the handbrake lever on the caliper...then you can prise the lever up

you will find the spindle is all rusty and horrid, use a thin piece of sandpaper/dremel/wirewool or whatever it takes, try to work some oil into where the lever swivels i also spray some spray grease in there

keep doing that until its free

then..this is the good bit, late 80s ford granada spring are indentical but a touch stronger,around £2.50 from ford

its essential that the handbrake lever goes to fully off or the handbrake wont self ajust
Steve,
thank you for that invaluable bit of advice. I have taken the liberty of copying it on to the clubgti.co.uk website (and given you credit).

I have managed to partially withdraw the spindle (no subtlety involved!) but it will not fully withdraw? However cleaning up the visible section and a good application of copper grease has had the desired effect. It now rotates easily and self restores. I still cannot picture the mechanism involved, presumably the shaft has a tapered cam end to act on the back of the pison threaded mounting, but no action is visible. I will try reaasy to see whether it actually now works.

pmh (was peter)
Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - steveo30
yeah it will only raise 10-12mm or so(god knows how you get it right out??)....sometimes a bit more filth will come out after its been used a bit

you can crawl under and spray some wd40 or whatever in there every few weeks

the granada springs are well worth the 2 quid,gives the brake a handbrake a solid feel
Ok everything appears to work ok on the bench! BUT I have just reassembled on car, setting up disc pad clearance a la Haynes to 1mm before bleeding, and operated foot pedal 40+ times before reconnecting handbrake linkage. Handbrake clearance set correctly but the self adjust will not work! The handbrake will not apply any braking effort to the pads what ever I do to the operating lever! I assume the internal self adjuster has seized and I see no way of freeing that up!

Any ideas pse??

pmh (was peter)
Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - Ian D
Fit Mk 3 calipers!!!
Golf GTi mk2 rear calipers - DL
^ That's what I did! - plus the engine and running gear......

No more problems...
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link