Fuel saving devices - deslynam
Afnoon' everyone,
What're your opinions on this type of device: www.ethosplan.com/empfuel.asp - I've seen adverts all over the place for similar magnetic devices that are supposed to be clipped over the fuel line and will increase the fuel economy... The theory behind it sounds dodgy and if it was worth fitting, wouldn't manufacturer's put it on as standard?!?

Any thoughts, good or bad are appreciated :-)
Fuel saving devices - Dave Andrews
better off spending the £30 or so they normally cost on a tank of fuel!
Fuel saving devices - SimonJ
Exactly - if a magnet on the fuel really improved combustion it would be a standard fit.

Personally I cant see it doing anything - but I do know of peopl who have fitted such devices with good results - if it is the magnet or more frugal driving I do not know. - peharps it doesnt matter if the end result in more mpg

If you really want a mag, the go to maplin and by a Magnet/Demagnet Tool (QE89W) for £2.99 which will give you the same result and a far lower cost!

Have a look at

www.smartcar-owner.co.uk/Smart%20Magnet.htm

makeashorterlink.com/?X43E25C48

Dont ask why smart car owners appear to like them - just coincedence when I did a google search. There small poll shows 29% find no saving at all, 43% saving 8% in fuel and 7% saving over 10% in fuel.

Make your own mind up.
Fuel saving devices - Civic8
They have been around since the 60`s in one form or the other.not heard anyone say it worth the money.best as Dave said get a tank of petrol on it.
Fuel saving devices - terryb
More snake oil I'm afraid - I'm sure it's been debated here before.

Interesting though that they say it will give you more l/100km. That's the opposite of what you want!
--
Terry

"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel"
Fuel saving devices - daveyjp
Lots of smart car owners have them because one of the owners clubs supplies them for £4!!! At that price it doesn't really matter if they work or not - when they are £30+ like on the shopping channels you need convincing. BTW they don't work.
Fuel saving devices - deslynam
If I recall correctly, don't they claim the same dodgy principles as the passive in-line devices to reduce limescale in household water, polarising the ions in the fluid which apparently helps everything along?

Yeah right, ok then!!
Fuel saving devices - Dave Andrews
its probably all psychological anyway!! you probably end up driving more carefully without thinking! £30 for a magnet off the shopping channels is a joke.
Fuel saving devices - Edd
Theory wise there work for a quick expanation but in the real world engines design they have absolutly no effect.
Some people do get better result but its down to them changing there driving not any fuel saving or increased engine anything.
Fuel saving devices - inthewildteam
Do the words "no such thing as a free lunch" sound familiar?

I think a Google search will point you to a few law suits about false advertising in the U.S. and also one I know of in the U.K. about a very similar device.

BTW, why would anyone with a Smart car want to improve mpg? I used to have use of our company's pool Smart, foot buried in the carpet that 600cc turbo never got less than 50mpg.
Fuel saving devices - Armitage Shanks{P}
Here is some American "Snake Oil"!

auto.272.com/272/tfs.php?PHPSESSID=d072a7c9fec586e...a

Fuel saving devices - Marcos{P}
That is just a funny site. I can't believe people fall for that bull.
Like the americans even need to save money on their petrol!

Just imagine what the yanks would do if they suddently started paying $5.80 a US gallon, compared to the current $1.74 a gal (3.78 ltrs)

The chancellor keeps trying to convince everyone that the high cost of petrol is because of the high oil price - yet the yanks are paying the same for their oil

I think it is about time that filling stations start to show the tax on fuel seperatly on their pricing (i.e petrol xxp, duty xxp, vat xxp) they everyone would be able to see exactly where there money was going.

I think it is about time that filling stations start to
show the tax on fuel seperatly on their pricing (i.e petrol
xxp, duty xxp, vat xxp) they everyone would be able to
see exactly where there money was going.

What an excellent idea!! Have you rtried selling it to the oil companies?
--
Terry

Dont worry - already suggested it to all the major companies -

Shell seemed most interested, and are passing it to their marketing dept.

We will see what happens.

Fuel saving devices - Singer-G
Has anybody tried this one?

www.broquet.co.uk/

Singer
Much discussed in the past. Do a forum search on "broquet" and you'll get stuff going back to 2001.

The CASM recommended this at one time but since its brush with the Advertising Standards Authority it has faded into the background - still advertised though.

I must admit I was tempted at one time - they claim many testimonials - but if it worked wouldn't it be fitted as standard?
--
Terry

Fuel saving devices - Altea Ego
I have a brainwave. I am going to invent a fuel saving device. It will be a shoe with a drawing pin stuck through the sole of the right foot. Every time you press down it hurts.

Damn someone has already invented one - it causes a pain in your hip pocket......
My mother used to reckon she saved fuel if she drove in bare feet. I suppose she was lighter on the accelerator pedal.
Thank you.

I'm a member of CSMA and they pushed this product for many years, so much so that I was starting to become convinced. A look through the backroom archive has restored my healthy scepticism.