Preserving cv gaiters (any fwd car) - steve52
CV gaiters seem to get stiff and 'dried out' in time due to heat, light and general exposure to the elements. They then crack or split. I'm trying to preserve mine by regularly spraying the gaiters with a rubber/nylon lubricant aerosol. I wonder if other members have tried similar preventative measures?
Preserving cv gaiters (any fwd car) - Singer-G
No, but I know somebody who replaced his by cutting the new ones down their length, putting them round the joint and gluing them back together. It saved a lot of dismantling, and it passed an MOT. I don't know how long they'll last.
Preserving cv gaiters (any fwd car) - glowplug
It was possible to buy split gaiters from a local car spares, they came with a couple of cable ties and a tube of superglue. My brother used quite a few of them on different cars/vans, seemed to last OK.

Steve.
Preserving cv gaiters (any fwd car) - steve52
Anything to prevent the gaiters splitting must be worth attempting. It's quite a hassle to replace them. Spraying the outer surface of the boot is easy and a slippery film seems to build up after repeated application of the rubber/nylon lubricant.
Preserving cv gaiters (any fwd car) - RichardW
Yeah, but they generally last at least 10 years / 100,000 miles, and only cost about £30 to replace at your friendly backstreet. Hardly a bank breaker! I'd be more worried about the lubricant reacting with the rubber or attracting grit and causing premature failure.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....