VW Golf- Mileage correction - Peterco
Hi all,

The revcounter in my golf finally died the other day, so went to my local scrappy and got myself a new one which works fine. The only problem is that the milage is alot less then mine, and I really want to have the correct milage on the clock.
Shame its not like the mk II where you can change any gauge independantly from the others.
Anyway went to the dealer who said that they cant change the mileage on speedos that already have mileage on them.
Is this true? Does anyone know of a way of changing it?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

regs
Peter
VW Golf- Mileage correction - Dynamic Dave

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22152

Read this one. The problem is that I have a digital odometer not a mechanical one.
I just want to find out if it is possible to change the mileage on digital speedos.

Thanks for the link though.
I just want to find out if it is possible to
change the mileage on digital speedos.

Thumb though the classified ads of the Auto Trader. Several people offering mileage adjustments. All that's needed is a laptop, relevant software and a lead to connect to your cars ecu. All of which they have.

VW Golf- Mileage correction - NARU
I haven't used these people, so don't know if they're any good. But they do claim to do digital odometers.

www.digidash.net/index.html
VW Golf- Mileage correction - Ford Dagenham
Hello

i thought mileage adjustment was ilegal at least thats what they just told me.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
i thought mileage adjustment was ilegal at least thats what they
just told me.

It is, but there are plenty of people out there waiting for you to cross their palms with silver.

Electronic odometers can be far easier to adjust than mechanical ones. For starters you don't have to strip the speedo out the dash to do it.

VW Golf- Mileage correction - blank
I would be very surprised, though more than happy to be shown the relavant legislation, if mileage alteration or correction were ilegal. What certainly is illegal is passing off a car as having covered fewer miles than it really has. There is no way that I commit a crime if I wind back the clock on my car a few miles or tens of thousands of miles.
What certainly is illegal is passing off a car as
having covered fewer miles than it really has. There is
no way that I commit a crime if I wind back
the clock on my car a few miles or tens of
thousands of miles.

Thats the whole reason why I want to correct the mileage on the new speedo before I install it. Otherwise I could just install the new one, which has 20,000 miles less on it then my car has done, which is an advantage when selling, but I dont think that is really fair to do. I also would like the mileage to correspond to all the paper work I have with the car (MOTs, service record, etc).

Have you tried installing the new speedo at all. I have vague memories of a mate of a mate wanting to clock a VW Passat. He bought another speedo thinking this would solve his problems, but when he installed the new speedo, the digital odometer still showed the same mileage as the old one. This would indicate that the mileage is stored somewhere else but in the speedo itself.

VW Golf- Mileage correction - Mapmaker
'a mate'. Ah, I see!

If winding back the speedo were illegal, then you would be breaking the law every time you select reverse gear. I recall being surprised when reversing a very long way to see the mileage going down.
VW Golf- Mileage correction - Singer-G
'a mate'. Ah, I see!
If winding back the speedo were illegal, then you would be
breaking the law every time you select reverse gear. I
recall being surprised when reversing a very long way to see
the mileage going down.

Brilliant! All I have to do is reverse everywhere for the next 12 months, and I can sell my car as "low mileage".
VW Golf- Mileage correction - Andrew-T
Not knowing the answer to the question, my (intelligent?) guess would be that data are kept in the 'brain' of the car, not in the display unit.
Not knowing the answer to the question, my (intelligent?) guess would
be that data are kept in the 'brain' of the car,
not in the display unit.

Tried that, guess it only applies to newer VW's, as mine is a 1995 Golf mk3, when I put the new speedo in, the mileage of the original car came up, and not my mileage.
oh well...

As for reversing to lower the mileage, I don't think that is possible on any car using a pulse counter to record speed/mileage, as the pulses are the same whatever direction, as opposed to direct cable driven speedos.
VW Golf- Mileage correction - Andrew-T
Looks like you have to call one of the wide boys then :o)
VW Golf- Mileage correction - Caddy-Shack
A set of Speedo instruments currently advertised on Ebay

?The VW Part No. for this item is: 1H0 919 913 C (Suitable for use on vehicles with engine designations: AEE or AEX please check before bidding that this part, is the part that you want!) .

The instruments are in excellent condition and full working order, 140mph / 6,500rpm, the mileage reading is currently 102,298, although this can be re-calibrated to you specific requirements and the ?S.I.D?. (Service Level Display) re-set to zero, at an additional cost please enquire, if interested!?

And the first time I have ever seen anybody selling instruments refer to the legalities involved

?Note: The bit that nobody else bothers with - I am legally obliged to inform you in selling you this item, that it?s un-lawful to attempt to disguise or otherwise alter your existing mileage, any replacement part therefore needs to be recalibrated to correspond with the existing defective part or upgrade prior to installation, otherwise it will be immediately picked up at the next 'MOT' by the DVLA computerised database and a warning flagged - prosecution may follow - it has happened! They will accept no excuse - You have been made aware!) ?Info-mercial? over!?

PS the seller is ?Smiler 989? For Enthusiasts by Enthusiast. I?d post the link but I?m not up-to-speed with the techie stuff ? one step beyond an abacus! Hope this helps!

SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/07/2009 at 00:00

VW Golf- Mileage correction - Caddy-Shack
They could correct the mileage for you - no problem, but as with most dealerships they just want to sell you a car and can't be bothered with the smaller jobs - no money in it for them!
However back to the point your milage can be corrected with the clocks either in or out of the vehicle in fact it's easier if their out, you dont have to access the ECU to get at the instrument panel. The instrument panel has a 'stand alone' micro processor fitted, while holds the milage sevice/information providing you have the correct sofware a the bnecessary USB connector and a laptop you'll have no problem! - Just where to find about £1,200 necessary to change you milage reading! Ive posted another ref: to 'Siler 989' who frequently advertises insttrument panels on ebay and refers to the concequences of incorrect milage readings I'm shure he can help! PS he refers to himself as a 'Golf' as in VW enthusiast!
VW Golf- Mileage correction - vw golf 2000

Hi, Does anyone know if the odometer (milage reader) is on the ecu or on the dash of a vw 00 golf 1.4? I got a vw golf and the milage is very high and the guy told me i can get it chang to what i wont so i will like to correct it to the right mail it should be so am wondering if i was to chang the clock reader would it chang or i will have to get it chang from the ecu?

Edited by vw golf 2000 on 04/09/2010 at 12:09

VW Golf- Mileage correction - hmautos

www.mileagecorrectionleicester.co.uk

This company can sort out mileage corrections and some other sorts of programming.

Give them a try if you have any problems with you odometer.

VW Golf- Mileage correction - hmautos

www.mileagecorrectionleicester.co.uk

This company can sort out mileage corrections and some other sorts of programming.

Give them a try if you have any problems with you odometer.