Vectra Advice - NickW
Hi, I\'m thinking of buying a 1yr old (03) Vectra SRi from one of the Supermarkets and and wondered if anyone has any advice on these cars - I\'ve heard and read mixed reports, most negative ones being about image which I\'m not too concerned about. I\'m not sure whether to go for the 2.2 petrol or diesel. I\'ve never driven a modern diesel and like the sound of the economy and power they give, but is it worth forking out £1000 extra? I won\'t save much in fuel costs as my annual mileage is only around 8k made up of a daily commute and the odd longer run at weekends.
Vectra Advice - DavidHM
True, but unless you keep the car 5+ years (in which case you'll eventually save money on fuel, just not noticeably - and benefit from diesel engines' generally greater longevity) you'll get your £1k extra purchase cost back when you come to sell.

As for which one you should actually go for - drive both. If the supermarket can't give you an adequate test drive, there's no harm in exploiting the local franchise and see what they can offer you, even if you don't buy there.
Vectra Advice - Aprilia
I have driven a variety of Vectras over the last 18 months or so(all new ones - rental cars). My favourite is the 2.2 petrol engine with automatic. The Diesel is not too briliant, IMHO, and I would go for a petrol given your annual mileage.

All of the Vectras are refined and quiet (more so than the Mondeo). I don't like the dashboard and the indicators though (the 'sensitivity' of the indicators seems to vary from car to car). The air-con controls are over-complicated too. They are a very good buy at supermarket prices.
Check out a Nissan Primera (the 2,0 petrol or 2,2 Diesel) with 6-speed gearbox; they are excellent value and likely to be more reliable than the Vectra.