Mondeo diesel oil change - Terry Smith
As oil is the current hot topic, I`ve had an oil filter and change for my R plate Modeo T-Diesel (at Lex Autocentre) and they used Castrol GTX oil .

When I queried this , saying that shouldn`t they have used a specific oil for diesels , they said that GTX had the spec for diesel engines.

Is this true ?

Tez
Re: Mondeo diesel oil change - simon saxton

Probably the simplest way to illustrate the incompatability is to visit www.castrol.co.uk website & read official Castrol recommendation for GTDiesel.
Comparison of the petrol/diesel oil can be made by examination of the Product Data Sheets also available on site.
regards.
Simon.
Re: Mondeo diesel oil change - Alvin Booth
Terry,
Castrol GTX is at the cheap end of the market and is not diesel spec.
ACEA B3.96 is the European standard for diesel spec oil and GTX is definitely not in this standard.
The above spec may have been re-rated to 98 (which is the year) but the B3 remains.
On the GTX can you will note that it says words similar to "suitable for the older engines" It is I think the lowest spec made by Castrol.

regards

Alvin Booth
Re: Mondeo diesel oil change - John Slaughter
The branding is a bit confusing - they are all GTX. However, it comes as GTX 15 - 50 and 15 - 40, and then there is GTX Magnatec (again in 15 - 50 and 15 - 40) which is a better spec (A3/B3).

So it rather depends which 'GTX' was used - you're right, it could be basic, so you need to ask!
Regards

John