Astra 1.6 running rough - John1978
I have a 1999 Astra 1.6 Dualfuel which has started making a strange noise on acceleration. Whenever I accelerate in gear or rev the engine in neutral a quite loud constant ticking sound occurs. I've had the car almost two years but it only started making this noise a week or two ago. The car been around a bit (106,000 miles) but has a full service history.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? The service is due next month but am I risking engine damage driving it in the meantime?
I'd be very grateful for any help.
Cheers, John
Astra 1.6 running rough - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Suggest leaking exhaust manifold gasket. You dont say if it is a 16v engine but if so check the manifold stud nearest the thermostat housing is still there. For some reson they break off. Requires removal of manifold and careful drilling and tapping but not impossible. Have heard of manifolds cracking also. Get it sorted as soon as poss to avoid burning the head.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Astra 1.6 running rough - John1978
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention it's the 8v engine if it makes any difference. Is it likely to be an expensive job?
Astra 1.6 running rough - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Same but different if you see what I mean. Open up the bonnet and blip the throttle while concentrating on the manifold area. on the 8v its more likely the studs are loose or the gasket has blown on the downpipe but this would give more of a parping noise than the tick you describe. Relatively inexpensive repair.Manifold crack more expensive obviously (£150-ish)
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!