Reconditioned Engine - Durelli
Hi,

I have a friend who broke the 2.0 petrol injection engine in his 1998 Astra.

He is going to get a reconditioned engine. He's got it down to a choice of 2, one for 500 quid, another which is guarenteed to have only donw 21,000 miles for 700 quid.

The question, is the engine with the guarenteed mileage any better than the other? Will the difference affect the resale value of the car?

cheers

cheers

Durelli - son of a famous Italian tyre maker
Reconditioned Engine - Mapmaker
reconditioned, or second hand?

Will the difference affect the resale value of the car? Would you rather buy a car with its original engine, or one that had only done stop start journeys and had never reach operating temperature... Engines are designed to be driven... (slightly TIC)
Reconditioned Engine - Malcolm_L
Sounds like neither of these engines are re-conditioned, how can a recon have done 21k?

Might be ok if you see the engine running but I'd be wary.

There are still some reputable engine re-conditioners about, might be worth contacting them direct. They do give a warranty which is usually 3-6 months.

Reconditioned Engine - Ben {P}
I would be interested to know how they can garuantee that milleage- i didnt think breakers got any paperwork with cars these days.
Reconditioned Engine - Civic8
Take no notice of any mileage guarantee.if the engine has a guarantee and comes from the breakers I think you will find they only give 14 days enough time to fit and make sure all is well.If not you can take it back for either a refund or another engine.I wouldnt buy one from a breakers as previous experience has proved it to be cheaper in the long run to go to a good reconditioner.they used to.also depending on what is wrong may do a service exchange?