Leon TDI - Brief grinding noise - Leon on Derv
there is an irritating grinding sound from my Leon 1.9TDI which is only evident as i approach my house. As i rule i have travelled about 40 miles at motorway speeds - during which time there is no evidence of this sound. When i drop my speed to about 15 - 20 mph when cornering entering the housing development where I live, the noise occurs on taking both the 90 degree left and right corners which are slightly downhill when entering the development - but is never evident when leaving - ie going uphill.

I raised this with the dealership about 20,000 miles ago (approx 8-9 months ago) when I was concerned that my wheel bearings may be showing early indications of wear. They assured me the bearings were ok and it was likely a stone caught between the brake disc and the plate behind it.

The sound occurs without braking which has lead me to rule out pad wear - the pad wear indicator has never illuminated and looking through the alloys they seem fine.

I find it irksome that this noise is present and I cant irridacate or explain it.

A friend recommended powerhosing up into the wheel arches - i did this on Thursday which had no effect.

Any ideas?

Leon
Leon TDI - Brief grinding noise - jc
My Panda did it for a while when cornering-nothing obviously wrong-it eventually stopped and never came back.Does the noise stop if you lightly touch the brake pedal.
Leon TDI - Brief grinding noise - paulb {P}
If it is an unpleasant metal-on-metal help-me-I'm-about-to-break sort of noise, have the garage check that the front roll bar ends are properly packed with grease.

This happened on a Y-reg Leon TDI that I used to own and it took several trips to the dealer before they sorted it out by recourse to the above. Latterly it got so bad that it was making the noise with any lateral movement of the front suspension, whether cornering or not. Most off-putting.