Hello all, my first post and first ?? - pmcguire
I am a new (2 days) owner of the Renault Megane sport tourer.
I live in Finland so the car is called Break over here, anyway I bought it slightly used (Registered NOV 2003 and at 10,000KM) and was extremely happy with it.

Unfortunately one of the keys was broken so I had to leave the car at the dealers whilst they coded a new one. They game me a rental for the night so no problem there.

The dealer called me today and told me to go and collect the car, I arrived late at the dealers and he was shut. Anyway he obviously seen me outside and came and brought me the new keys.

I sat in the car and noiced immediatly a chip on the windshield that was definately not there when I left the car.

I called the dealer and he said he will fix it, how can they fix it?

What's my course of action here?

Cheers!
Hello all, my first post and first ?? - Van Driving Man
Welcome along. :)

Congratulations on the new purchase - though I am not sure I would but a car called 'Break' - I guess it means something else in Finnish.

Stone chips in windscreens CAN be repaired by removing minute fragments of glass and injecting a resin compound into the screen. This article gives a good overview: www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_6073/article.html

Repairs are quite comon over here, as insurers will normally pick up the full cost of a repair, but there is a £50 or 100 excess if you elect to have the windscreen replaced.
Hello all, my first post and first ?? - patpending
Hi there pmcguire, or hyvää ilta as I believe they say in Finland!

Van Driving Man's advice also applies here in Germany where insurance companies prefer the same method. useful when driving on unmade roads to be able to mend a bit of windscreen and save the no claims bonus.

don't know where you stand on a brand new car though, they should not let you suffer for damage you could not reasonably expect! you need a Finnish contract lawyer, in the UK you might have to say very quickly "no this car is not good enough, keep the keys, I ordered one without a scratch"....

re. "Break" - all Renault and Peugeot estates are called this, it's actually an English term "shooting brake" assimilated and spelt wrongly. this definition came from the freedictionary.com:

"In the United Kingdom a very specific type, rare these days, is known as a shooting brake. These are modifications of luxury coupés with an estate car - like back fitted. They generally remain with two side doors. The purpose of them, historically, is obvious from the name; they were vehicles for the well-off shooter and hunter, giving space to carry shotguns and other equipment. They have rarely been made by the factory and are generally aftermarket conversions; some are still made. Up through the early 1960s many of them were built as woodies, making them some of the most exclusive and luxurious woodies ever built."

hope your Renault lives up to that standard!

pat
Hello all, my first post and first ?? - pmcguire
Hello Gents,

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that they can be satisfactorily repaired. It just makes me wonder where my car had been that night.

Let's see what happens when I go back to the dealers again tonight.