How to run in a sports car ? - catalyst
Just bought a new Ignis Sport (very nippy 1.5) a month ago
I currently drive it pretty much as I would if it were a non-new car, that is frequently rev the engine to 4,000 rpm (but not really above that). The Suzuki dealer told me new cars did not particularly need running-in periods. I'd like to have yr opinion, what is considered best practice ? thanks
How to run in a sports car ? - Blue {P}
4,000 rpm doesn't sound like high revs to me, that is how I would drive a brand new car in it's running in period, once the car has done a few hundred miles I would feel free to take it up much higher, and once it's done 1,000 miles I would be quite happy to red-line the car for brief periods without fear of harming it.

Blue
How to run in a sports car ? - Roger Jones
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=12
How to run in a sports car ? - madf
I have no idea what the rev limit is but after 1,000 miles
I would aim to take it to the limit briefly (10secs) during acceleration.
After 2,000 miles I would assume it is run in properly and drive it harder. :-)

madf

How to run in a sports car ? - Roberson
Hello.

I'd say that your on the right lines really. I once heard that it is excessive load that can be just as damaging to a new engine as revs but this may be typical of older engines. For the correct way to run-in your new car, I would refer to the owners handbook. Just do what it says for the specified period and you'll be fine.

Hope this is of some help
How to run in a sports car ? - Ivor E Tower
I wouldn't dare get anywhere near 4000 revs until the car had done at least 2000 miles. Start off gently, keep below 3000 revs (ideally under 2000 revs) even when cruising for first 1000 miles, don't run for extended periods at constant revs since this can apparently cause damage from vibrations (?)
How to run in a sports car ? - Singer-G
I wouldn't dare get anywhere near 4000 revs until the car
had done at least 2000 miles. Start off gently, keep
below 3000 revs (ideally under 2000 revs) even when cruising for
first 1000 miles, don't run for extended periods at constant revs
since this can apparently cause damage from vibrations (?)

>>

I wouldn't run it below 2000 rpm with any sort of load on the engine. It needs a few revs on to make sure the oil is circulating. I would try to keep it in the middle part of its rev range, say 2000 - 4000 rpm for an engine redlined at 6000 - 7000.
How to run in a sports car ? - teabelly
According to one thing I read running in is more a manufacturer's ploy to get you used to the car rather than a mechanical necessity. This article also recommended you got the car warmed up then take it out and make sure you went up and down the rev range as much as possible to get the engine bedded in eg take it on a twisty road in 3/4th gear. You don't let the revs stay in the same place but you don't worry about getting within 500-1000 rpm of the redline. They tried this with bike engines and the ones run in in this way had more power on a dyno than ones run in the traditional way.
teabelly
How to run in a sports car ? - catalyst
Thanks all for yr answers,
Question though: what are the dangers of going over 4000 RPM from time to time -as I've done a few times (4500 to 5000 very briefly during overtaking manoeuvres) during the running in period ? I could not get a convincing answer from
the dealer
How to run in a sports car ? - Edd
No trouble manurfactures design engine to be reved from cld and "boy raced" for 60k+ with no trouble.
Infact bedding in a car hard will do it more good than bad infact a couple of % power is lost by not hammering the car (when warm) for the first 20~25 miles from new.

My mate bedding his in very hard (hit the limiter out of the showroom) and it was faster than others 1.2 and used no oil
The rings need to be beddin in gainst the surface so if you don't push them ie put some strain on the engine from new then they won't make a good seal against the engine liners and so get increased blowby also increased oil burn.
But in the big game you real need to make sure you don't do short journeys in the car thats the big killer of engines.