Mk 2 Golf Clutch Wear - commerdriver
Quick query prompted by an entry in another thread.
The clutch in no 1 son's 1987 mark 2 golf 1.3 does not bite till the pedal is just about fully out. It's been like this for a while & the clutch shows no sign of slipping.
I assumed this was probably an early sign that it was on its last legs. Is it, or is there anything I could do about it apart from wait till it gives out completely?
Mk 2 Golf Clutch Wear - P 2501
Don't really know these cars, but perhaps it can be manually adjusted? alot of later cars have auto adjusting cables but earlier cars sometimes had adjustable types.
Mk 2 Golf Clutch Wear - Ben {P}
Just readjust the cable, you can make the clutch bite where you like. Kepp driving untill it starts to slip if it is still working well.

Dont adjust the biting point too far down though, you dont want the clutch to drag, a couple of turns should do it. Just look at the adjuster, its relativeley easy to work with.
Mk 2 Golf Clutch Wear - cholin
Had this with a Golf Driver (self-adjusting cable). The clutch held out to the bitter end but the time between slip and failure was quite short, fortunately it packed up on the doorstep. The clutch lining was paper thin on one side of the plate with some wiped out on the other. Assume it was original plate but don't know. 130,000 miles.
Mk 2 Golf Clutch Wear - Kuang
Mine was exactly the same - the bite was fine, but between it starting to slip and being replaced (about 100 miles or so) it was more or less down the the rivets..