Golf 2.0 AGG Engine - AM
Hi

Having a prob. with my Golf 2.0GTI 1996 (35,000 miles)AGG engine code.It has started to switch off when I am about to stop after I push the clutch down, for eg. at traffic lights. It runs 100% in between this. Prior to switching off absolutely no indication that there is a problem. Starts up first time after these episodes.
I have changed plugs and it has made no difference, cleaned distributor cap, and checked lead connections.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Golf 2.0 AGG Engine - SkyMan
Had this once on a Hyundai. It was caused by a faulty speed sensor in the speedo, so the computer thinks the car is still moving and cuts the fuel when the throttle closes to reduce emissions. Becuase the sensor was playing up it also cut the fuel when the car stopped, and therefore killed the engine.

Could be the same sort of thing...
Golf 2.0 AGG Engine - percy
A colleague's 2.0 Seat suffered from this symptom recently (older car, higher mileage) the garage checked for vacuum leaks on the inlet manifold side (changed a hose I think) and cleaned the idle speed control valve. £170 later the car is running ok again! Good luck!