mondeo common rail diesel - dave
i was just wondering if anyone knows when the common rail version of the ford mondeo 2litre duratorq engine is set to be introduced to the uk.

cheers
Re: mondeo common rail diesel - honest john
Even the 1.8 DCi for the Focus apparently won't go on the UK market until January 2002 (see test in this week's 'Autocar'). Since the 2.0DCi was part of the original spec sheets put out for the new Mondeo, they must have had some sort of a problem.

HJ
Re: mondeo common rail diesel - Gavin Dawson
Ford's are apparently working on the problem of the surging of the Dieseltorque 2.0Tdi engine, which my 2.0Tdi Mondeo estate has and suffers from.
Re: mondeo common rail diesel - dave
on the subject of the 1.8 dci focus. having spoken to people on the inside, as it were, aledgedly there are 3 different tunes out.

tune 1 - goes like stink and is there to please the mags,

tune 2 - gutless, but brilliant on the emissions,

tune 3 - what the public will eventually get, which is a half-way-house between the other two.

crafty, but hardly surprising (amusing of course that this is true).
Re: mondeo common rail diesel - Bill Doodson
Just to be nasty.

My experience of Mondeos in gerneral has been POOR to say the least. My Mondeo diesel was almost undrivable due to the engine. Ford never made a good diesel yet that I have heard about, why should they make one now just because it has a Delphi common rail injection system on it??? Delphi have admitted that they are experiencing supply problems on the system ("The Engineer" magazine) due to the tolerances involved. I can just see it now:-

Managment; " We have orders for 10,000 in the next 2 months"

Production managment; "We can do it sir, we will do what ever needs to be done"

Line Engineers; "You said what? How the hell can we do that, we are having difficulties keeping to quality as it is!

They will try to get them through but, urrrgh. Buy a Passat diesel instead. You wont have to wait either.

Bill
Buy a VAG Product instead! - David Lacey
I have to agree with your 'real life' scenario, Bill.

Ford have not suceeded in making a decent Diesel yet, when the likes of Peugeot, Citroen, and VAG have been doing for ten or more years.

I, for one, cannot see how Ford can catch up.

Purchase of a VAG or PSA product will be a sensible choice, methinks.

Rgds
David
Re: Buy a VAG Product instead! - Stuart B
David Lacey wrote:
>
> I, for one, cannot see how Ford can catch up.
>
> Purchase of a VAG or PSA product will be a sensible choice,
> methinks.
>
>
David,

Tend to agree there, Ford diesels have been unhappy experiences for me too.

Maybe Ford have taken your last comment literally with the Dagenham operation being a joint Ford/PSA cooperation?

Stuart
Re: mondeo common rail diesel - ROBIN
Its not as if the thing even produces any power,is it.
I mean,there is VW and BMW casually talking of 75 bhp per litre and Ford having trouble with 60.And whats wrong with just bolting a Bosch common rail kit onto the side of the head like everyone else does?Diesel combustion chamber shapes are hardly complex,there isnt room,so what else do you have to do?
Whilst I'm on the subject of The Masters of Cynical Marketing is the noise made by the 2.5litre transit diesel REALLY legal?