Legal Underage Driving - DOG2003
Anyone know any places in the South west where I can teach my kids some experience on driving. I've heard that you can use abandoned airefields etc but I don't know any in this area.
Legal Underage Driving - Dwight Van Driver
Do you know a Farmer with a twenty acre flat grass field?
Should assist with rudiments.

DVD
Legal Underage Driving - DOG2003
I would probably rather drive on tarmac. With the type of car we have, 'call out the tow truck'
Legal Underage Driving - matt35 {P}
Rover,

Try looking at www.iam.org.uk - locate your local Group and phone the contact number and have a chat about your intentions.

Otherwise - contact your County Police Traffic Department and ask for advice.

I would be surprised if you do not get some help!

Matt35.
Legal Underage Driving - David Horn
West Point in Exeter. It's privately owned so you're kids are legal to drive around the roads. Same place they hold the Devon County Show.

You also find some driving instructors giving 16 year olds lessons there.
Legal Underage Driving - Sooty Tailpipes
If you do find somewhere, it may still be a good idea to use L plates and leave your headlights on, just in case others have the same idea, or are out and about too.
I was told that private land to which the public has access (eg B&Q car park when closed) is still covered by the Highway laws 9whatever they are)
Legal Underage Driving - Cliff Pope
You could buy an old tractor and drive legally on the road at 16.
Legal Underage Driving - defender
there is a requirement to sit a driving test to drive a tractor on the road at 16 ,and also fairly sure it is limited to agricultural use only but it was too long ago to remember. also careful with insurance if 16 year old driving even off road it could be costly ,agree though its good to let them grow in to driving before they are on the road
Legal Underage Driving - bertj
Check your insurance. I very much doubt whether your insurance will cover an under age driver even on private property. What happens if he/she runs into someone else, damages property or your car?
Legal Underage Driving - Cliff Pope
My tractor insurance says any legal age on or off road (ie 16 or 13), any purpose, any trade other than tree-felling, and costs £26 pa. There is no road tax and no MOT.
Interesting about the test requirement though - couldn't someone be a learner tractor driver? And how would the candidate get to the test centre on his one-seater tractor? And where would the examiner sit - on the mudguard?
Legal Underage Driving - rustbucket
>>Interesting about the test requirement though - couldn't >>someone be a learner tractor driver? And how would the >>candidate get to the test centre on his one-seater tractor? >>And where would the examiner sit - on the mudguard?

The rule used to be that if a vehicle is so designed as to only have one seat then a vehicle used for agricultural purposes could be driven by a person 16 years or older on "L" plates unacompanied. I took a test in a track laying vehicle and a tractor at the age of 16 and the examiner came out to the farm,
the examiner stood by and watched.

rustbucket (the original)
Legal Underage Driving - HF
This is interesting. Going back to cars rather than tractors for a moment, my ex has for a while felt it 'cool' to give my now 14 year old (but at the start of this maybe just 12 or 13) son driving lessons in a public carpark. The ex, when this started, had only just passed his own test!

I had suspected this was illegal, and of course son is extremely impressed. But I take it from here that I would be within my rights to have a word to say that this simply isn't on? Ex has no extra insurance to cover a minor, I know that much.
HF
Legal Underage Driving - defender
tractor driving on the road at 16 is limited to driving yourself to a test with L plates untill test is passed .tractors most definately have to be taxed or sorned the same as anything else although the disc is at the moment supplied f.o.c. the taxation class is agricultural therefore limits use to this ,there are a lot of rules and regs about size,impliments and no of trailers etc .at 17 you put L plates on and go unacompanied .tracklayers might have been moved to 21 but not certain on that one
Legal Underage Driving - Collos25
I was not aware that a licence was required in the UK ,the police do not bother ,the courts give carte blanche by issueing reprimands and stupid low fines which nobody collects.
Seriously ,I do not thing your insurance company would be very happy.
Legal Underage Driving - Rebecca {P}
Some of the activity holiday companies offer driving courses for under 17\'s.

www.pgl.co.uk springs to mind, but I\'m sure there are others.
Legal Underage Driving - Phil G
Silverstone definitely run courses for the U17s. Have a look on the website.
Legal Underage Driving - David Horn
The only tractor I ever drove / drive is an old Zetor with a top speed of 20kph, and I was always polite enough to pull over if I had a car or two behind me.

The new tractors go like a bat out of hell but get stuck easily - I spent two hours yesterday trying to tow one out of one of our fields. Buried up to the axles - both front wheels were underground. I'm going back this afternoon with two more tractors and we'll try the brute force approach, unless anyone has an ingenious idea which only involves the one tractor!
Legal Underage Driving - Mapmaker
Usual approach for those of us without 3 more tractors is to put sticks under the wheels to give something firmer for more purchase? Dig out in front of the wheels so that axles no longer buried.
Legal Underage Driving - patently
Oh - and you'll be needing a powerful helicopter as well.