Jaguar automatic - dave42
I have a XK8 jaguar automatic.
The car has just developed a fault, which is, when drive is engagaed, nothing happens then all of a sudden "bang" and it drives off.
I thought it was short of hydraulic fluid, but Jaguar say's it is a sealed unit and cannot be topped up.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers
Dave
Jaguar automatic - Marcos{P}
Not sure about the XK8 but the XK-R has a Mercedes gearbox so might be the same.
I have read about these bieng sealed for life but it is utter nonsense. All the boys on the Mercedes forum get the oil in their gearboxes changed so you should be able to too.
Jaguar automatic - dave42
Thanks Marcos, that is very reassuring
Jaguar automatic - Mapmaker
More Mercedes advice - if it's relevant (and I cannot comment on that). Having owned several Mercedes W123 (all too briefly) I'd say that you need an oil change in the 'box (every 30k). Failing that the flexible couplings are worn & require replacing. These would be 4 inch diameter rubber plates on the driveshaft, if there's any similarity in the systems.
Jaguar automatic - Sooty Tailpipes
Sounds like a fluid related problem.
get the ATF changed ASAP to prevent fluid-related mechanical-degradation.
It may be a lifetime fill, but can still be changed. Ensure the correct grade of fluid is used. You may have to search with google to find that.
Good luck, hope it's just the ATF.
Jaguar automatic - Dizzy {P}
Dave,

Was it really 'Jaguar' who said that the gearbox was sealed for life? Or was it a mechanic? Surely not true!

The symptoms strongly suggest a low fluid level (check with engine running and gearbox at operating temperature). A rather unlikely alternative is that a valve or solenoid is sticking.

The XK8 has a ZF gearbox which Jaguar says never needs the fluid replacing. It also probably has no dipstick, in which case the fluid level is checked by removing a plug from the side of the box.

Topping up modern ZF boxes normally needs special equipment so I would entrust this to a Jaguar dealer. Likewise replacing the fluid if you decide to do this. No harm will be done by changing the fluid, but perhaps no good either.
Jaguar automatic - Kevin
Dave,
autoboxes on pre-June 2003 XK8s, XJ8s and S-Types have just been made subject to a recall for a software bug in the transmission control unit. If the unit recognises a low fluid pressure condition, there is a possibility that it will switch the box into reverse even at high forward speeds.

Call your nearest main dealer and ask if your car is subject to the recall (have your VIN # handy.) They may be able to tell what your current problem is at the same time.

Kevin...
Jaguar automatic - Angler
I have an R reg XK8 (101K m) I've had the same fault,this problem got more frequent and then just before Xmas the transmission completely failed with no warning. The result was a new box. Everything had got so hot the connections had fused onto the old part and I had to have most of the pipework replaced. Jaguar had the car back a number of times because the automatic transmission didn't seem to be moving from gear to gear smoothly they just kept telling me everything was OK.

Also I had a regular Engine Fault warning. Again Jaguar had the car back a number of times but told me there were so many warning messages on the print out that they couldn't work out what was going on. Eventually the throttle body had to be completely replaced.

All in all the bill was over £4k.