handbrake - ford fiesta 1.8d - shaunthesheep
hi, i replaced my handbrake cables yesterday afternoon (only the ones to the wheels), but now the passanager side is stuck on??, ive double checked everything has gone back together ok, but it does'nt seem right. i did notice that the passanager side rear drum was a bit tight to refit, it seemed as if it was hitting on something but it wasnt.

im pretty sure that the shoes etc went back on correcttly, has anyone got any ideas??, pic's would be good so i can match them up & double check the fitting.

the normal brakes work fine.

--
shaun the sheep
ford fiesta. 1.8d. j reg. 91'.
handbrake - ford fiesta 1.8d - Civic8
sounds like the auto adjuster has adjusted too far.I think there is a hole in the backplate giving access to the adjuster.
but am not certain which type you have if the wheel type it can be turned using flathead screwdriver.hope that helps?
handbrake - ford fiesta 1.8d - Ford Dagenham
Hi

How did the other repairs go.

Does the car now run smootly.

Let us know.

(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
handbrake - ford fiesta 1.8d - jc
On the Fiesta you should wind the auto-adjuster completely off,then refit the drum and apply the footbrake,this should set the shoes to the correct clearance.You may have the handbrake cable set too tight.On these cars the best way to remove the drum is to take off the whole hub assembly by removing the four bolts from the trailing arm of the rear suspension.
handbrake - ford fiesta 1.8d - jc
It doesn't have a wheeled adjuster;it has a snail cam.
well just to let you all know, ive given up on it, its not playing ball with me, so i will put it into a local garage & tell them to do it.
--
shaun the sheep
out of interest did you manage to get the drum off?
yeah, they both came off in the end with a litle bit of a tug!!
--
shaun the sheep
So why have you given up on it.?
the reason is, that ive been trying to do it for three weeks now & i now can\'t be bothered with it anymore, so sod it & let the garage do it!
It seems that the new cable is too short!, i am aware that they changed the design of it, so to counter-act that i got both from before it was changed & after. i did lay the new against the old one & it was shorter by about 1\" !!
--
shaun the sheep
ford fiesta. 1.8d. j reg. 91\'.
handbrake - ford fiesta 1.8d - Ford Dagenham
Hi

Dont cables stretch with age??

(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
are you certain they were the correct cables.chassis/no should tell them what the correct ones are.failing that and sorry if you have already tried this main cable should have an adjuster on it maybe a wheel at the back end of cable or nuts at the back of the handbrake itself under the cover.undoing them should release the cable enough to connect without causing the adjusters to operate.as I say if already tried appologies.the only way out then is to get the correct cables.as you have already paid for them I would take them back and explain whats happened
yep, i did take them back, im gonna be looking at somemore on friday from a diffrent company, so wish me luck, failing that i might have to get them from main dealer *ouch* £31.99

--
shaun the sheep
well, its going into the garage on thursday to have the cable fitted. ive spent enought time laying on my back under it. it will only cost me £40.00 (supply & fit) if i would have known this when i started to do it i would have left it to the garage.
--
shaun the sheep