13 month MOT - kithmo
I know you can have your car MOT tested up to a month in advance if you present the previous MOT certificate at the time of the test. Does anyone know if you can have your first MOT, on a 3 year old car, a month in advance, i.e. Post dated to the date of registration. Would presenting your V5 be equivalent to presenting your previous MOT.
13 month MOT - Imagos
you can get a MOT whenever you like 3 years is the maximum you have to wait you could get one when car is year old if you really wanted to. but answer to question is no you cant use the V5 if you got one now it would be for the standard year.
13 month MOT - harry m
i got my 3 year old car mot 3 weeks before it was 3 years old and they dated the renewal 1 year after from the day and month it was registered.ie 14 march 05 tested on 2 march 04.hope this makes sense.
13 month MOT - harry m
also meant to say took along v5 as proof.
13 month MOT - martint123
From 'another' MOT info site www.bobmckay.co.uk/Frame2.html

Vehicles being tested for for the first time can also be taken in up to one calendar month early but evidence of date of first registration must be produced. This will normally be the V5 registration document or in the case of lease vehicles, a VE103. The date of issue on the new VT20 will be the day of test and the expiry date will be the date of first registration plus a year.

If a vehicle is taken in for its first test too early then a VT20 for twelve months less one day will be issued.

13 month MOT - kithmo
Thanks harry_m and martini123, for the correct information, imagos_uk, maybe you should get your facts straight before answering a post, it's not very helpful to give wrong information.
13 month MOT - Imagos
I KNOW NOTHING LIKE YOU...
13 month MOT - Dynamic Dave
OK, enough.

DD.
13 month MOT - kithmo
Got it done today, post dated to 8th May. Now there's something I now know for a fact.
13 month MOT - Doc
Vehicles being tested for for the first time can also be
taken in up to one calendar month early but evidence of
date of first registration must be produced. This will normally be
the V5 registration document or in the case of lease vehicles,
a VE103.

The date of issue on the new VT20 will
be the day of test and the expiry date will be
the date of first registration plus a year.

This cannot be right.

Expiry should be date of first registration plus 4 years?

13 month MOT - hxj

Yep.

Been there and done it. So it does work
13 month MOT - Dalglish
for the official answer, go to

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/mottesting/motte...m

section
"How early can my car be submitted for test?"
13 month MOT - Ivor E Tower
Maybe a bit late, but also been there and done that. Took my car for its first MOT at the beginning of Jan 2004 with the V5 - it was first registered on 29 Jan 2001. Collected it with MOT dated to 29 Jan 2005, 12 months and 4 weeks from date of first MOT so it can still be done! NB Garage doing the MOT said they have to check with DVLA before they can do this though, so maybe best not to try it on a Saturday.