mk2 golf fanbelt? - Sarb11
I have a 1990 mk2 golf 1.3 with about 61k on the clock. Had the fanbelt changed a few months ago but recently once the car has been driven for a few miles there is a whining sound coming from the engine which is noticeable at idle. Had a look under the bonnet and the sound is coming from where the fanbelt is. The sound is not there on starting the car up but after a few miles.

Does the fanbelt need tightening? Or is the tensioner on its way out? Why does it not whine on startup?
mk2 golf fanbelt? - Kuang
Do you mean the alternator belt? The MK2 has a motor driven cooling fan.

If so, check that there's no oil getting onto it from behind the crankshaft pulley - my Skoda used to do exactly the same thing.
mk2 golf fanbelt? - r1ch1e
It is possible ikt is loose, they tend to stretch a tad when used and the fact it takes aa while to start would point to it just expanding slightly when warm. Let the engine idle a bit from cold until it starts to whine then turn of the engine and tighten it up whilst its warm and expanded. should sort it out no problem.
mk2 golf fanbelt? - DL
It will be your cambelt tensioner screaming away - a very common intermittant problem. Agreed - it sounds just like the fanbelt, too.

Advise replacement ASAP
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
mk2 golf fanbelt? - Robert Fleming
Take the fan belt off when noise is present. Start engine. If the noise now not present, it's probably the alternator bearing. If noise continues, it's probably the timing belt(aka cambelt)tensioner.

An explanation that springs to my mind is that whoever changed the fanbelt used the 'correct' tension, which on a 12yr+ old car only helps to kill off the alternator bearing. (It only needs to be tight enough so it doesn't squeal on a damp morning, which is a little bit more than the specified 5mm play, to my mind)
mk2 golf fanbelt? - Civic8
It is possible the belt was tightened too much.I would assume the belt operates the alternator.possibly the power steering as well if it has that.ie if it only operates the alternator it may be too tight giving too much pressure on the front bearing of alternator could be wrong but sounds like it?.ps alternator belt is what it says you may have power steering which may be on same belt.although unlikely?
mk2 golf fanbelt? - Drew20
I doubt a 1.3 would have power steering, I would think it would just be the water pump and alternator on the belt.
do as robert says and take the belt off and see if the noise goes (only for a short while as you'll have no water pump)

Drew