Megane? Opinions please - midlifecrisis
I'm considering replacing my wife's Clio with a slightly bigger car. We've had the Clio for twelve months and it's been %100 reliable.(Have a look on the classifieds) I've just seen a 'W' 2000 1.4 16v Megane, in nice condition (going by the photo)at £2495. It's described as having FSH and 'average' miles. Now if it is as described, this is well under 'book' price. It's just the right size but HJ's car by car breakdown has scared me a bit. Could current owners give me their opinions, good and bad.
Much appreciated.
MLC
Megane? Opinions please - Imagos
Has awful driveline shunt or engine/gearbox axis roll where the engine mounts allow engine movement felt through the gearstick when accelerating at all speeds.

Totally spoils the driving experience, a common Renault folly which has now finally been removed from current Meganes and Lagunas.

your current clio should have it too.
Megane? Opinions please - Altea Ego
The mark 1 megane? Had one on hire for about two weeks while waiting for the Scenic about 5 years ago. It was a 1.6e. What can I say, ride was good enough, gearbox was nice, clutch light, not fast not slow, not noisy, fairly roomy, kind of nothing car really.
Megane? Opinions please - DavidHM
Wot RF sed.
Megane? Opinions please - Ivor E Tower
Bought new Megane Scenic in 1998. Only problems have been the number of recalls, with all work being paid for by Renault. How many other manufacturers would sort out suspect parts by recalls long after initial warranty had expired? I was a bit doubtful at buying a Renault at first, having previously had a Honda, but so far I have no regrets....and I don't feel the need to change the Renault yet, either.
Has awful driveline shunt or engine/gearbox axis roll where the engine
mounts allow engine movement felt through the gearstick when accelerating at
all speeds.
Totally spoils the driving experience, a common Renault folly which has
now finally been removed from current Meganes and Lagunas.
your current clio should have it too.

Errrr No, not on Nicolles W reg clio, wasnt on my 1999 scenic either.
Megane? Opinions please - Humpy
I had a '51 megane 1.4 for 6 months and hated it. Just an extremely plain car with no poke or enjoyment whatsoever. My old zx 1.4 beat it in every dept, IMHO.
I have since hired, for a couple of weeks, the new one and the difference is remarkable. I haven't been so unexpectedly imppressed for ages. Shame I couldn;t get my golf clubs in the boot because of those rediculously large lights!
Megane? Opinions please - Chris75
I also had a '51 megane. It was a 1.6. The car was OK to drive. It was in the garage twice before it was 12 months old (coil pack) and the interior trim quality was poor. I belive the diesel is very good though.
Megane? Opinions please - midlifecrisis
Thanks for the replies. Quality of drive isn't that important.The wife would be driving it and she wouldn't know a ferrari from an FSO. The Clio has been fine though. I have rang the garage and the his idea of average miles on a three and a half year old car is 90'000miles. Strange, I don't agree with him. I've currently got my eye on a Nissan Almera on e-bay.
Megane? Opinions please - patently
average miles on a three and a half year old car is 90'000miles

I guess the previous owner liked it, then? ;-)
Megane? Opinions please - P 2501
average miles on a three and a half year old car is 90'000miles

so average milage these days is 25k + miles??
Megane? Opinions please - Mapmaker
Well, I'd say go for it provided it looks OK. Probably get him to knock a few more pounds off it, as he'll never shift it with that sort of mileage. But most cars (cannot speak for Renault) are barely more than run in at that sort of distance these days. Lots of nice motorway miles. Probably a better car than the one with 3,500 on the clock that Miss Motorwayman has never taken further than the station half a mile from home. Cars are designed to be driven!
Something tells me I have lost confidence in the dealer.............
Megane? Opinions please - epsom driver
I had a 1.6e 1998 Megane and have never regretted buying a car more. Forgetting the fact that the exhaust snapped in half after a few hundred miles, problems with electrics and a host of other bits and pieces meant that I spent around £1000 on it within 3 months.
I got rid of it and got a 2000 x reg Nissan Almera Diesel and haven`t looked back, it has great economy (I do 1000 miles every 2 weeks) the services have each cost approx £150 all-in, the road-holding is great and its now up to 67,000 miles on the clock and feels like new.
Couldn`t recommend one more.