Max tow weight? Merc C250 TD. - tim.mcd
Hello,

I have been offered my parent\'s 1997 Mercedes C250 turbodiesel auto. It has a towing capacity of 1500kg.

How do Mercedes estimate towing capacity? Is it based on a hill start? How steep is the hill?

I only want to recover a heavy boat up a pier with it, and tow 2 miles. Am aware of the fact that you shouldn\'t normally tow a trailer exceeding 85% of the vehicle\'s weight.

Regards,

Tim
Max tow weight? - keo-the-dog
cant you give it a try (preferably) in the wet if it manages then all well and good if not get a 4x4. i know a few people with boats and most use a 4x4 (sometimes borrowed) for towing especially on the slipway
Max tow weight? - Cliff Pope
How heavy is the heavy boat?
On a slipway I think getting the wheels to grip on the slime is likely to be more of a problem than just engine power. Would it be possible to use a long cable or chain and keep the car on the level until you had pulled the boat up? Or borrow a winch?
Max tow weight? - tim.mcd
Boat is about 800kg with trailer. The pier is about 1 in 5 with tight turns which prevent the use of a winch.

I used to have a Land Rover Defender, but would like to avoid another one unless essential.

like stated try it if you can but i think with the weight and the slipway scenario you will be looking at another 4x4 ,doesn't need to be a defender there are many nice 4x4's capable of this job . the MB is a good towing car but 2wd and slipway recovery dont match very often. let us know if it copes
Max tow weight? - jc
But it's RWD which should help.
But it's RWD which should help.

this is true.which is why i think he should try it, will be surprised if it copes but it might, have seen some strange things happen when towing and seen some 4x4s embarassed by transits and old granadas.
Max tow weight? - tim.mcd
I will try it - with half the slope and twice the weight, i.e. hill start on a shallower slope with a dead Volvo in tow.

RWD should be OK on the rough concrete of the pier. I can wash away spilt dead fish and seaweed!

Anyone know if this MB has lifetime ATF? If I burn the fluid, I will need to change it quick.

Regards,

Tim
Max tow weight? - Cliff Pope
I'd certainly try it somewhere safe first. I wouldn't want to be stuck at the bottom of a slipway with the tide coming in and the wheels spinning helplessly!