99 - ABS problem - StuR
Hi,

I own a Nissan Primera '99 2.0 Sport which recently had an unusual major brake problem. As far as I understood - I had a problem where my brake fluid dropped without any warning. The whole system on one side of the vehicle was replaced and new brake pads were put on the back. This cost me c. £250.

Unfortunately the brake pedal was still giving me 'feedback' which the garage confirmed was the ABS kicking in everytime I came to a stop. They road tested it again and determined the ABS was working fine apart from the problem. They advised either that I live with it or replace the ABS (at a very high cost!)

Now it seems to me (with only a rudimentary knowledge of mechanics) that if the ABS is working fine that this seems like a drastic option. It sounds to me like there is a minor ABS problem but perhaps the garage doesn't have the real expertise to fix it?

Is it possible the ABS is still confused by the brake problem I had previous and then perhaps could be reset? The brakes work fine but the ABS kick in is annoying and hardly inspires confidence. Not to mention the resell value!

Any help would be great!
Stu.

Edited by Pugugly on 05/04/2008 at 12:27

Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Altea Ego
Stu,

The favourite place to start with ABS is on the wheel sensors. I dont know the primera, (is it 4 wheel ABS or front only?)but its usually a toothed or notched disk with a sensor bolted close to it. Check the sensor to earth and the sensor wiring, and check its postion relative to the others.

One thought could be the system is now unbalanced, and pushing too much braking force onto one wheel?
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - StuR
Thanks for your reply..
It is a 4 wheel system.

I wondered about the imbalancing because when I had the brake problem the ABS apparently compensated by applying more power to another wheel. This is why I was wondering if it could be reset.

I was wondering whether the Haynes manual for the 90-99 Nissan Primera would be relevant. Apparently it's the same chassis and it may give me some clues to help me track the problem.
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Aprilia
This is not a terribly unusual problem and I'm surprised that your garage could not help.
What is happening is that at low speeds (as the signal level from the speed sensors drops) one sensor's output is falling below the switching threshold and the ECU is therefore firing up the valve body (it thinks the wheel has locked).

You need to go around each wheel and check the senors, their connectros, wiring and the reluctor rings. Look for damage, debris and cracked/broken reluctor rings.

If you have access to a 'scope it is a fairly easy matter to check out the system by spinning each wheel in turn and looking at the signal. The low one is the one causing the problem.

I have factory data on this vehicle - please e-mail me at: aprilia2000@safe-mail.net for further info.
Cheers.
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Carl
I have exactly the same problem on my 98 Primera, ABS operating on the front drivers wheel at slow speed.

I had deduced that it was likely to be a sensor and/or wiring fault resulting in low signal as Aprilia states, but have not had a chance to physically check the vehicle yet.

I have however phoned my local Nissan dealer for a price for a new sensor, £160 + VAT !!!! The ABS system is manufacturered by Bosch, do they supply to the aftermarket?

Aprilia - Do you mind if I email you too for the factory data?, I'm partically interested in the resistance values, which the Haynes manual does not list
Sure you can e-mail me.

Bosch *do* supply to the aftermarket and most Bosch agents should be able to order the part for you. It will still be expensive though. Try a Japanese car breaker - there are loads of Primera around.
You need to check the sensor and sensor rotor (for damage). The rotors can be replaced individually.
The sensor resistance is 1.44 - 1.76k Ohms (front and back are the same).

HTH
PS - I should add that in common with most Nissans, the Primera has quite a sophisticated self-diagnosis system built into its ABS system. You ground a pin on the OBD connector and the ABS will give you a flash code which will tell you the precise nature of the fault. You do not need sophiticated 'scan-tools' to diagnose Nissans (which is why the sell well in places like Afghanistan, where there isn't a dealer on every corner).
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - PrimeraOwner
I was wondering whether the Haynes manual for the 90-99 Nissan Primera would be relevant.

Yes it is covered in the Haynes manual.

You could check the brake pad spaces are both the same. I don't know the ranges if you will need a feeler guage or something bigger.
If you have a strong spring balance or could borrow one you could also check the force required to unapply the brakes.

Give the braking hoses, couplings etc a good hose down then check for leaks.
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - PrimeraOwner
I have a Nissan Primera 97. A week after it's service the ABS indicator started illuminating now and again. Speaking with a car dismantler I was advised the sensors in the Primera ABS system get clogged up quite easily and they didn't have a spare part because this was their most requested part.
I have not done this yet but it is presumably a light or magnetic sensor of some sort which detects presence of absence of vains. Check the spaces vains are not choked up as well.
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Dereksn51
When one of the sensors failed on my Rover 827 my local dealer priced the sensor at £150 plus vat.I got the same sensor (Bosch)for half that price iirc from a company called Best of British,delivered to my door
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Jged
Hi Derek,

I have similar problem with my abs sensors for my Primera too.

Canyou tell me where i can find this Best of British that you mention?

Thanks,
Jged
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - bell boy
probably emigrated mate
any car parts factor will stock these shop around and compare
be aware its usually the abs ring rather than the sensor but you have checked them yes
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - McP
I had the same problem and it was the the ring as suggested to me on here.
Local garage replaced the O/S CV joint. It is normally the N/S, I am told.
Part was £90 2 hours Labour £60 (North Manchester) approx.

I put up with it for ages until coming down the 'Pass of the Cattle' in the Highlands from 626 Metres up to sea level with the brakes clunking most of the way trying to convince the Mrs that it wasn't dangerous.
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - solorize
Hi.

I have been having a similar problem with my Nissan Primera 1999.

I got my front brake pads and disks replaced about 2 months ago.

But now everytime I brake, right at the end of the braking zone just before I stop.
I get a grinding noise coming from the front of the car, which I can feel through the brake pedal.

1st I thought it was a stone or something trapped in the brakes but after having a look it all looked ok.

Do you think that this could be something to do with the ABS or Sensors?

Any help would be great as it is starting to get a bit unnerving.

Thanks in advance

Mark

If you are not confident in fixing it yourself - I wasn't.
Take it to your local independant. Cost me about £150 all in for a replacement CV joint fitted.

It is a common problem. Normally one of the ABS rings cracked.

I don't belive that it is dangerous as it only incorrectly activates the ABS at very low speed.
Mine was doing it for a few weeks before I got it fixed. It is a bit unnerving though!

One of the experts will hopefully confirm from a safety point of view.
It is probably the reluctor ring that's cracked. But it could be that the discs are heavily worn (they will tend to make a grinding noise at low speed). If in doubt then get it checked out.
Thanks for your replies.

Primera 97, when you say take it to "Take it to your local independent" do you mean a Non "Main Nissan Dealer", i.e. just a regular mechanic that can work on Nissans?. (Sorry it a bit early in the morning and my brain is only just kicking in).

Also, can anyone confirm that this problem is safe to drive about with? or should I get it sorted out ASAP.

As would prefer to wait a month or so, as just had to spend out quite a bit of money recently and could do with recouping a bit of money before having to pay out again..

But if its unsafe to drive then I would prefer to spend out and be safe.

Thanks

Mark
If the ABS is kicking in at very low speeds then it is safe. But I would take it to a local non-Nissan mechanic just to check that there is nothing more serious wrong. This should only take about 15 minutes (front wheels off and visual inspection) and cost a minimal amount. Obviously 'diagnosis at a distance' is very difficult and it is not realistic for me or anyone to say that it is safe without inspection.
Thanks for your reply Aprilia.

I appreciate that you cant say 100% that the car is safe to drive as you have not seen it, therefore can not be sure of the problem.

So, I think I will take your advice and get a mechanic to have a look and see if it is indeed a problem with the ABS Then I can make a decision on whether or not to wait to get it fixed.

I will post up what the mechanic finds once he has had a look at it.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards

Mark
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Burt
Same here on my 2001 primera and it is the N/S reluctor ring which is cracked. Checked myself with a torch and the crack is about 1/16 wide. As the ABS light did not appear during it's recent MOT it passed even though I had the same symptoms as everyone else at low speed. I have removed the fuse (1 month) and I now drive with the light on and no reaction from the ABS. I intend to repair after the 1 year old road works have been completed on my way to and from work!!!!!!!!!! This is where these things seem to be picked up. Saw last night on E-bay the exact same drive shaft and reluctor ring for about £20 (loads on there from 'autobitz 2007').

Ran my Renault between MOT with the light on for about 5 yrs (this was the old mechanical type with very expensive repair costs).

hope this helps - lots of threads back in the tech matters

burt
The cracked N/S reluctor ring is very common. I think the NS wheel strikes the drainage covers etc and so it has a much hard time. Presumably on LHD cars its the other side that suffers....
Hi Burt,

As I am not a mechanic and am not sure where abouts this Reluctor Ring is located, could you tell me where abouts I will need to look?

Just so I can have a have a look and see if I can see the problem, before I take it to a mechanic.

Thanks

Mark

Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Dynamic Dave
not sure where abouts this Reluctor Ring is located,

On the outer CV joints.
I managed to wait out getting my problem seen to until last week when I had to get my MOT and service done.

They confirmed it was the driveshaft that needed to be replaced and after it was done and I had my car back it was all sorted =)

Finally can drive around now without the grinding noise every time I broke =)

Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - hmeerkat
I have the same car as Stu with the same problem.

Does anybody know where my Primera (sport plus), 1999 model, ABS control unit is situated? The Haynes manual (which covers Primera?s up to 1999 but just before mine) indicated that it is situated inside the passenger side foot panel. I have checked there but don?t seem to find it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - mfarrow
Why do you need to know where it is? Have you checked through Aprilia's suggestions before blaming the control unit?
If you have ABS activating at low speed it is almost certainly a cracked reluctor ring on the CV joint.

New CV joint required.
P11-144 (99-02) Nissan Primera service manual shows the control unit positioned behind drivers side healight.
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Dave - Northampton
Excellent posts guys! My friend's '99 Primera had the ABS cut in at low speed. The resistance on the sensors (you measure them at the connectors inside the engine compartment) was within the 1.44-1.76 k Ohm limits, but I found one of the reluctor rings to have a crack in it. I'll buy one on the Internet.

Anybody want to list a blow-by-blow list of how to fit it?
They are part of the CV joint.
Pattern CV joints are around £25 each and absolutely fine.
There are 2 types with a different amount of teeth on the rings. 44 and 48 I think.

I had a CV joint replaced on my X reg at my local independant garage for £65 all in.
Nissan Primera '99 - ABS problem - Burt

Sorry, a bit late but have managed my ABS (51 1600) for about 5 yrs. after a service at a nissan garage brakes were a bit funny! complained but "we did nofing rong guv" reply. changed ns drive shaft and problem reduced but still not right. i have pulled the fuse for 5 / 6yrs apart from just before the mot and no probs. changed brake caliper rear may 2010 and no reluctor rings are broken so will just sally forth as before - great car for the money and only problem to date (bought new).

PS did the same with a similar renault also for a number of yrs. wish abs would b***** off for good!!!

burt