Megane head gasket? - owen
A colleague of mine has asked me for some advice on her parent's Renault Megane scenic, 1998 R reg, 1.6, which apparently broke down and required the attention of the AA. The AA man told them that there was oil in the water, indicating a head gasket problem. However, the mileage is only 53k. This seems a bit low for HGF to me?

The car is 1 owner, immaculately maintained etc. My colleague is a bit miffed because her parents want to swap the car, but have only been offered £1500 trade in given the head gasket problems. Does anybody have an idea how much it would cost to replace the gasket?

Ta!
Megane head gasket? - greaser pv
Just done one on N-reg 1.4e engine, charged approx £250, only done 26000mls, however oil was leaking from gasket down front of block and onto exhaust. I know it's not a 1.6 but may give you some idea .Being a mobile mech. my charge is obviously less than garage rates.
Megane head gasket? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Did a 1.6 R reg last summer 55,000m, easy job but get head skimmed and pressure (crack) tested. Fit new timing belt at the same time. Corrosion was the problem with this one, possibly due to the carp antifreeze Renault use.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!